A Woman Preaches in Northland’s Chapel

SAD Day for Northland! What is also sad is that there is a lot of this going on in modern churches. I believe God calls and gifts women to teach but not preach, and the men at Northland hopefully were given the option to not attend. If they want to sit there and listen, that is a different situation. Lots of women are great writers that I read (Nancy Leigh Demoss, Jesse Penn Lewis, Ruth Paxson), but not preachers.

This isnt the Northland up in Northern Wisconsin, is it?

Buncha tripe if you ask me.  Stories w/ no Scripture exposition.  She is a board member of the school, according to her.  And yes this is the Northland in Wisconsin. 

Wow! Then things have really changed. Was surprised to see women in pants. I actually grew up not too far from this college. My church even had a clean up day for them, and my father's company was owned by the person who financed the opening of this college (A very good family) When I visited waaaaaaaay back in 1982 I was so not impressed with their buildings, and their strict weird rules (more so than HAC!!).

Since leaving KJV onlyism I have learned to accept many of the contemporary Christian songs that I had never really been exposed to and even though I much prefer hymns in a worship service many of the more current songs are quite refreshing.  However, if anyone attempted to sing "Jesus Loves Me" as in the video found below I would simply walk out of the service.
http://indefenseofthegospel.blogspot.com/2012/09/northland-students-perform-new-jesus.html

biscuit1953 said:
However, if anyone attempted to sing "Jesus Loves Me" as in the video found below I would simply walk out of the service.

Completely agree. It takes talent to make this work, and they didn't display such. It made my ears bleed, and I wouldn't want to hear it in a service. Now if someone with the necessary talent was involved... ;)

Perhaps this is a time to bring up the old questions of:
Are Christian institutions equal to the church? 
If not, how do we justify applying scripture on church leadership to them? 
Is there no circumstance where a woman can lead or teach men - especially outside a church setting? 

I've heard these questions brought up, but never heard them really addressed.  I have my opinions, but would be interested in y'all's take on it.     

We had a women preacher at FBCH at a Pastors' School once, we even gave her an honorary doctorate.

Marcus Constantine said:
Perhaps this is a time to bring up the old questions of:
Are Christian institutions equal to the church? 
If not, how do we justify applying scripture on church leadership to them? 
Is there no circumstance where a woman can lead or teach men - especially outside a church setting? 

I've heard these questions brought up, but never heard them really addressed.  I have my opinions, but would be interested in y'all's take on it.   
I think yes, because scripturally, the "Institution" ought to be a ministry of the local church. A Bible College is no different than a Sunday School class, or any service in Church.

A lady teaching younger boys, any of the girls or ladies, no problem. A lady teaching a specialized field, ie English, Math, that does not have direct scriptural reference, I am ok with as well. Addressing a mixed group ie chapel or teaching theology goes against the limitations of scripture regardless of how talented, intelligent or gifted she amy be.

The fact that it is a college does not remove the scriptural limitations from it.

Here is the response from Northland that is on Facebook:

Northland is comitted to a complimentarian position. As a educational institution we occasionally ask women to share a testimony or address a particular topic during the chapel hour. Lina is a Lebanese immigrant who came to Northland Camp as a young person and was impacted by the gospel. She served for years as a camp counselor. She is a medical doctor, author, women's speaker, and board member. She was not asked to preach, but to share her unique story and talk about her latest book. We were grateful to have her. Again I'm happy to talk to any of you offline and answer any concerns you may have.

A woman should never preach in front of men....unless she happens to be preaching about KJVo or something like that.

My wife told me that a woman should never have authority over a man.  And she's the boss, so I have no alternative but to agree. 

Marcus Constantine said:
Here is the response from Northland that is on Facebook:

Northland is comitted to a complimentarian position. As a educational institution we occasionally ask women to share a testimony or address a particular topic during the chapel hour. Lina is a Lebanese immigrant who came to Northland Camp as a young person and was impacted by the gospel. She served for years as a camp counselor. She is a medical doctor, author, women's speaker, and board member. She was not asked to preach, but to share her unique story and talk about her latest book. We were grateful to have her. Again I'm happy to talk to any of you offline and answer any concerns you may have.
Spelled it wrong.  I think they need to clarify their definition of preaching. 

Daniel Patz (?) said this about the situation:
Apart from being personally jealous of how good of a communicator she is, I do agree that the tone and direction of her testimony was more than I anticipated and expected.  I am not referring to its rich biblical content, but that it was closer to what we call preaching or heralding the Word than I was comfortable with in that setting. This is true especially given how we have traditionally used chapel in the history of Northland.

You can read the entire blog post here: http://daniel-patz.com/college-chapel-and-women-preachers/

I have no connection with Northland, other than I like snow.

However, I would guess that they invited her to do a testimony and she decided that she would do what is basically a sermon.  I really don't think Northland is looking for any more fights this year. 

Tom Brennan said:
Change is a position.

You are correct Tom. But, this is no longer a small independent baptist school with the basic intent of training full-time christian workers. They made a decision a while back to change the intent and direction of the school.

bgwilkinson said:
We had a women preacher at FBCH at a Pastors' School once, we even gave her an honorary doctorate.
What was hilarious, was watching Jack Hyles try , unsuccessfully, to regain control of the service.  I had never seen someone blow him off before.
I walked out, for the first time in my life, of a "service" that night.

There is a big back-story to why she was called in, instead of Bill Grady, who we already had on staff.

Anishinaabe

rsc2a said:
A woman should never preach in front of men....unless she happens to be preaching about KJVo or something like that.
And her initials are GR and she has a degree in home economics