ACA (ObamaCare)

subllibrm

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
How many of the people you go to church with are enrolled in the ACA, either through the exchanges or Medicaid expansions? How many have their 25 year old "children" on their policy? How many have preexisting conditions? How many will have their needs met by your church when they lose their coverage?

How do you know anyone will lose their coverage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FSSL said:
How do you know anyone will lose their coverage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are they repealing?

subllibrm said:
How many of the people you go to church with are enrolled in the ACA, either through the exchanges or Medicaid expansions? How many have their 25 year old "children" on their policy? How many have preexisting conditions? How many will have their needs met by your church when they lose their coverage?
My health insurance was ruined after Obamacare.  Premiums skyrocketed and deductibles made it almost useless.

biscuit1953 said:
subllibrm said:
My health insurance was ruined after Obamacare.  Premiums skyrocketed and deductibles made it almost useless.

Mine was going that way years before the ACA.

And you didn't answer any of my questions.

subllibrm said:
biscuit1953 said:
subllibrm said:

Your question implies that ObamaCare has helped a lot of people.  That's a false narrative.  My daughter signed up for Obamacare and couldn't afford it.  She was forced to put her daughter on Wellcare and just paid the penalty for not having health insurance. 

Why is it moral to allow a 26 year old to stay on his parents insurance but not allowing a 27 year old?  Why should a young man have to pay for birth control in his plan?  The questions could go on and on.  ObamaCare is a disaster.

Is this one of those cases where I took them seriously when it should have be literal? Or maybe it's the other way around ..  :-\

Well all I know is that they should hurry up and pass it so they can see what's in it!  :D

biscuit1953 said:
subllibrm said:
biscuit1953 said:
subllibrm said:

Your question implies that ObamaCare has helped a lot of people.  That's a false narrative.  My daughter signed up for Obamacare and couldn't afford it.  She was forced to put her daughter on Wellcare and just paid the penalty for not having health insurance. 

Why is it moral to allow a 26 year old to stay on his parents insurance but not allowing a 27 year old?  Why should a young man have to pay for birth control in his plan?  The questions could go on and on.  ObamaCare is a disaster.

What did your daughter and granddaughter have prior to the ACA?

20 million + people who did not have insurance that do now seems like a lot of people to me. 700k in Michigan getting the Medicaid expansion coverage seems like a lot of people to me.

And my daughter had a surgical procedure done in November that was mostly paid for through a GoFundMe page so I know all about the cost and choices to not enroll.

Again, you did not answer any of my questions.

How many liked their doctor but couldn't keep their doctor?
How many liked their plan but couldn't keep their plan?
How many saw their premium double, their deductible double and their out of pocket cost increase by over one fourth?

Tarheel raises his hand.....

subllibrm said:
How many of the people you go to church with are enrolled in the ACA, either through the exchanges or Medicaid expansions?

I know of a few, but since we are a large church with multiple service times, I don't know every person that attends, thus do not know the exact number of folks enrolled in ACA.

How many have their 25 year old "children" on their policy?

See above answer.

How many have preexisting conditions?

Once again, see above answer.

How many will have their needs met by your church when they lose their coverage?

Our church has a fund that, in part, is used to help members with some small medical billing issues, but since I have not had a need of it, nor has anyone I know of, I'm not sure of the exact $$$ range that help would be. It may be determined by a case by case basis.

:)

Tarheel Baptist said:
How many liked their doctor but couldn't keep their doctor?
How many liked their plan but couldn't keep their plan?
How many saw their premium double, their deductible double and their out of pocket cost increase by over one fourth?

Tarheel raises his hand.....

Me.

33pbhhk.jpg

I am asking this as a serious question.

Why don't we just put all the very low income people who do not have insurance on medicaid, mandate everyone else have at minimum an inexpensive catastrophic plan and let the chips fall as they may.

I suspect it is because if working Americans saw how much they are paying to subsidize others there would be an outcry. Since most people do not pay their health care premiums and the cost to the government is being passed on to our children most of us remain unconcerned.

The Affordable Care Act (ACA) enacted in 2010 will significantly worsen the federal government?s fiscal position relative to previous law. Over the years 2012?21, the ACA is expected to add at least $340 billion and as much as $530 billion to federal deficits while increasing federal spending by more than $1.15 trillion over the same period and by increasing amounts thereafter.
http://ushealthpolicygateway.com/vii-key-policy-issues-regulation-and-reform/patient-protection-and-affordable-care-act-ppaca/ppaca-research-and-analysis/aca-impact-on-the-federal-budget-deficit/
To be fair, a few aspects of Obamacare actually reduce spending and help reduce the federal deficit.

To make matters worse, the average insurance premium will increase by 22% this year with at least 10 states rates increasing by 50%. One state is projecting their rates to double in 2017. 

I think the reason they weren't put on medicaid is that is mostly funded by the state. This puts a heavier burden on states.

Is ACA flawed? Absolutely. Did it create higher costs to people? Yep. Were all the promises about it kept in full? Not really.

In the end, it has saved literally thousands of lives. Repealing without replacement WILL cost thousands of people their lives. I have friends with autistic children who couldn't be covered because of their birth defects which were able to get healthcare under the ACA. Babies who are born with heart defects can't be refused as adults because of preexisting conditions. People can get free annual physicals (it was an annual free physical where I discovered my cancer).

Yes, the system needs to be fixed. FIX IT, don't remove it!

Each one of these individuals in the link below has a personal story where it helped them. What will happen to them without insurance? How many will die early? How many families will lose hope? How many families will again struggle under the weight of trying to care for a disabled/ill child without assistance?

Faces of the ACA

Obamacare is not only flawed, it is unsustainable.
It will be scrapped and replaced by something better, I'm sure...simply because I don't see how it can be worse.

The ONLY way it was crammed through was by lies and deceit...deliberate lies and deceit.
Sub, we learned we couldn't take Obama and his administration literally or seriously.

It isn't being instantly removed. The repeal and the implementation of a new system, from what I understand, are meant to coincide or at least happen at around the same time.

On "Day One," they should at least pass legislation that removes the penalty for not purchasing insurance. I think that provision, more than anything else, has really ticked off the American people.

Let's hope that whatever the "Affordable" Care Act is replaced with does not contain a tax or fee or whatever you want to call it that penalizes folks who would rather not purchase health insurance. If Trump / the GOP puts that kind of language in any replacement legislation, they can kiss the WH goodbye in four years and probably both houses of Congress within two to four years.

If not for Obamacare, I would be on the street instead of this nice, warm ward + free meds.

Obamacare is really bad.

Whatever replaces it must be better because ... it won't be Obamacare.

I would like to know what the proposed replacement looks like. Wouldn't that be a good thing to know?

Folks, I said a long time ago that the plan on both sides of the aisle were for this thing to crash and burn. Failure was built in. The Dems wanted it to fail so they could use it as the reason to move to a single payer system. The Republicans wanted it to fail so that the same thing would happen but they could blame the Dems. Why would the GOP want universal health care? To get health care off the books for their support base; corporations. It is just another way to subsidize the overhead cost of running a business. The earned income tax credit has worked so well, The failure of the ACA makes the corporate bean counters salivate when they think about the government taking over such a large portion of their operating costs.

I just got off the phone with my Congressman's office about my medical insurance.  I was going to post under another topic, but I think this might be a good place to start.

I am 60 and on disability due to m.s.  I have been on both sides of having good insurance and then not having any at all part of last year.

I cannot explain how medical insurance can get better.  I only hope that people who are paid with our tax dollars will help us when we have medical needs.

First, let me tell you what my local Medicaid office told me a few months ago.  "I'm sorry.  Medicaid is only for people with children."  I knew that wasn't true because years ago my mother had to be on it since her income was extremely limited.  I sent in forms to the Medicaid office for another try.  I got a live person that talked to me and asked questions.  One of the questions, which took me time to figure out what the heck they were saying was, "What is this A-NU-I-TIE?  The last syllable was pronounced like men's neckwear, not like a financial product.  When I finally realized that she was asking me what an annuity was, I tried to respond as respectfully as possible.  I realized the person on the end of the line had my health and welfare in their hands.  [not to be dramatic BUT once I figured out that I needed to face that reality, I realized I was going to have to fight for my own health.  I could no longer be passive about it.]  I lost the fight with the Medicaid people and moved on to the Special Enrollment for Medicare Part B, which I felt applied to my situation.

I have been wrestling with my local Social Security office for months regarding the Special Enrollment Period.  Their instant response has been, "you don't qualify", and that's even before they know the particulars of my situation.  I finally wrote my local Congressman and lo and behold if his office didn't surprise me with a phone call the next day.  They've helped me, but my fight is not totally over.  In the meantime, I don't have money to go see my doctor with or without insurance.  I've used gofundme before, although it was quite humbling.  I never thought I would be in that situation.

I have one more form to give my Congressman because Social Security said they did not receive it, even though I sent it to them last week.  I hope it solves the problem.

I'm sorry this is long, but I feel the need to warn everyone that you need to save more money.  You need to get the best education and the best insurance you can possibly get.  Give up Starbucks.  Give up a new dress or the new car and save every possible cent you can because the government may not be as helpful as you might think.