An Error of Biblical Proportions

My guess is these poor saps were probably raised on a non-KJV version of the Bible. 😜

My guess is these poor saps were probably raised on a non-KJV version of the Bible. 😜
Ah, but the most common version of the Lord's Prayer isn't from the KJV, either.

Without looking, what's the next word: "Forgive us our _______"?

"Mother/Father?" j/k

trespasses.

Last edited:
Actually, probably “sins.” Now, I looked it up and it seems “trespasses” is the answer.

They look young so they probably never went to church especially one that says the prayer regularly.

Actually, probably “sins.” Now, I looked it up and it seems “trespasses” is the answer.
It's not the answer, but it's the answer I expected.

The KJV, however, says, "Forgive us our debts" (as do the Bibles that came before it in the 16th century). I used to teach a Bible history class for Sunday school at my church, and I often started with a straw poll. Roughly half the group would say "debts," and half would say "trespasses."

I myself would say the latter. I theorize, though I have no evidence yet to support it, that whether you prefer "debts" or "trespasses" depends on whether you were raised with the KJV or not. I wasn't.

"Trespasses" actually comes from the Book of Common Prayer rather than a particular English Bible.

Ah, but the most common version of the Lord's Prayer isn't from the KJV, either.

Without looking, what's the next word: "Forgive us our _______"?
Most of the MV's I have used have said "trespasses."

It's not the answer, but it's the answer I expected.

The KJV, however, says, "Forgive us our debts" (as do the Bibles that came before it in the 16th century). I used to teach a Bible history class for Sunday school at my church, and I often started with a straw poll. Roughly half the group would say "debts," and half would say "trespasses."

I myself would say the latter. I theorize, though I have no evidence yet to support it, that whether you prefer "debts" or "trespasses" depends on whether you were raised with the KJV or not. I wasn't.

"Trespasses" actually comes from the Book of Common Prayer rather than a particular English Bible.
. We said Debts.

Last edited: