An Immigration Story

The Rogue Tomato

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
My wife is now a US citizen.  There were about 3,000 people at the naturalization ceremony today.  There were 99 countries represented and 929 people becoming citizens. 

The spokesperson read each country and the people coming from that country stood up to applause and cheers.  There were lots of cheers for India, Pakistan, and a few other mideast countries.  But when she said "Mexico", the place exploded with cheers and applause.  I think Mexico represented 80-90% of the new citizens.  I cheered, too.  That's the way it should be.  Legal immigration, for the win! 

Health update: My wife is still going through chemo and is not a happy camper.  She keeps threatening to stop, but I manage to get her to go to each appointment.  She has two more sessions to go, and shortly after that, she has radiation and chemo every weekday for about 5 weeks.  Please keep her in prayer.

The Rogue Tomato said:
My wife is now a US citizen.  There were about 3,000 people at the naturalization ceremony today.  There were 99 countries represented and 929 people becoming citizens. 

The spokesperson read each country and the people coming from that country stood up to applause and cheers.  There were lots of cheers for India, Pakistan, and a few other mideast countries.  But when she said "Mexico", the place exploded with cheers and applause.  I think Mexico represented 80-90% of the new citizens.  I cheered, too.  That's the way it should be.  Legal immigration, for the win! 

Health update: My wife is still going through chemo and is not a happy camper.  She keeps threatening to stop, but I manage to get her to go to each appointment.  She has two more sessions to go, and shortly after that, she has radiation and chemo every weekday for about 5 weeks.  Please keep her in prayer.

Did they swear allegiance? 

IFB X-Files said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

Did they swear allegiance?

Yes, they did.  And they had to renounce all allegiance to their former countries.  And they had to swear to take up arms and defend our country if necessary. 

That doesn't mean they'll be faithful to that, but that's a requirement for citizenship.