And so it begins in the ultra conservative State of South Carolina

Smellin Coffee said:
Reformed Guy said:
What would the answers to 3 & 4 be if we took out gay and inserted black?

It's no abomination to be black.

No, but it is to eat shellfish. :)

It's funny how some people see nothing but murkiness on just about everything in scripture except the "shellfish" mandate- a gem of crystal clarity in a morass of doubt and uncertainty.

Reformed Guy said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Reformed Guy said:

It's funny how some people see nothing but murkiness on just about everything in scripture except the "shellfish" mandate- a gem of crystal clarity in a morass of doubt and uncertainty.

Maybe it isn't clarity people look for but consistency in one who says one abomination is wrong but another is OK.

Smellin Coffee said:
Reformed Guy said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Reformed Guy said:

Maybe it isn't clarity people look for but consistency in one who says one abomination is wrong but another is OK.

Then you have a problem with Jesus?  Mark 7:18-23

subllibrm said:
Legal ways to get around it include lying! That is sad on so many levels.

I'm not saying I would approve of lying - only that if a photographer said he was unavailable, then there would be no grounds to accuse him of discriminating against aggrieved gays on their joyous occasion.

Come to think of it, the Bible does have a few instances of lying for a higher purpose that received divine approbation, so we can't even say absolutely that it would be wrong to lie. Sometimes people don't deserve to know the truth.

subllibrm said:
Reformed Guy said:

There are some who believe that Obama is an abomination and he happens to be (half) black. ;)

We do live in an Obamanation. But he's not bad because of his ethnicity. It's his delusional ideology that's bad.

Ransom said:
subllibrm said:
Legal ways to get around it include lying! That is sad on so many levels.

I'm not saying I would approve of lying - only that if a photographer said he was unavailable, then there would be no grounds to accuse him of discriminating against aggrieved gays on their joyous occasion.

Come to think of it, the Bible does have a few instances of lying for a higher purpose that received divine approbation, so we can't even say absolutely that it would be wrong to lie. Sometimes people don't deserve to know the truth.

Lying about availability is easy to catch. They could just keep throwing dates at you until it gets ridiculous, then have a hetero friend call to ask about dates to see if they get the same answers. The Bible verses on the promotion will clue activist to target the business.

I personally do not think baking a cake is condoning a wedding. How many Christian bakers have ever refused to provide a cake for a wedding when a man left his first wife to marry his mistress? (I doubt many even care to inquire) Based on that alone, I would hate to be a baker if I really thought I was condoning all the weddings I made cakes for! Same for photographers.

Providing a church location or officiant is condoning the couple, and should allow for religious objections.

Reformed Guy said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Reformed Guy said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Reformed Guy said:

Then you have a problem with Jesus?  Mark 7:18-23

Absolutely not. I'm not the one claiming that the Bible as a whole in its canon is consistent.

I believe the OT Law had become corrupted (Jeremiah 8:8) so the main voice for Israel had a basis in OT Law but was spoken through the prophets. I hold to the position that Jesus came to reinstate the actual Law of God and when his teachings/actions violated the written and oral traditions, it riled the religious who held to those standards. Jesus clearly supported the real Law and Prophets and Psalms. In essence then, in an effort to see what God's intentions are for us, we look to what Christ taught. To me, His words trump anything recorded before or after (in our canon) should there be any conflict of instruction/wisdom/example.

AmazedbyGrace said:
Lying about availability is easy to catch. They could just keep throwing dates at you until it gets ridiculous, then have a hetero friend call to ask about dates to see if they get the same answers. The Bible verses on the promotion will clue activist to target the business.

Well, of course no little white lie is going to deter a dishonest client looking to cause you trouble. At some point, I would expect it becomes clear that they are looking for a fight, not a photographer - at which point, I would imagine, the proprietor probably has a legitimate ground to refuse their business. Not because they're gay, but because they're toxic clients.

In any case, that is also easily countered: mark those "booked" dates on the calendar, and if anyone asks about them, they're still taken . . . until a week or so later, when there's a "cancellation." (By which time hopefully you've managed to suss out the wiles of the sue-happy couple.)

I think you misunderstood the intent of my Bible-verse strategy. If I took that approach, I wouldn't have to lie about bookings or refuse business . . . I'm just putting who I am and what I'm about front and centre. Whether the LGBTQIGJIARJKASGJIOSJKLEJKLSFJL crowd doesn't want to do business with me, becomes their problem. I rather doubt they can sue me for discrimination because they disapprove of my letterhead.

Billy said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Reformed Guy said:

Or a proud look...

You people really need to meet Herman Newticks!
And then introduce him to Joel Osteen!  :)

Hermeneutics: Ignoring the verses you don't like so you can emphasize the ones you do like

rsc2a said:
Hermeneutics: Ignoring the verses you don't like so you can emphasize the ones you do like

Herman, have you met r2?
Whatever you do Herman, don't call him obtuse..... ;)