Another New IFB

bgwilkinson said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
The illustrations on this thread lead back to my question:
Is the logic of this thinking simply that militant separation and standards trump personal conduct and integrity?

I know that sounds like a ludicrous question, but that is my perception of their reality. But surely that isn't the case. I was hoping a 'true IFB believer' would offer a response. Raider, Tim, Tom? Not just a rehash of what is believed, but the process that allows that conclusion to be reached.
bgwilkinson, while you obviously don't believe that, you have been in the movement that believes and practices such. Can you offer an explanation?

I posted this upstairs, but figured I'd get a better answer down here.
Not trying to be argumentative, just want to know.

This is what I personally witnessed, ergo, when my deacon bus worker friends would invite me to go with them to Rush street in Chicago on Friday nights I knew they would be on their bus routes on Saturday and drive in to church with full buses on Sunday, this was the antidote to adultery and the lasciviousness of Rush street. It was like a get out of jail free card. Soul-winning always covered a multitude of sins with Bro. Hyles.

Two of these men who were close personal associates with Bro. Hyles divorced their wives a few years latter, and resigned as deacons. I found out latter that Bro. Hyles knew all about the Rush St. trips and the adultery all along.

I have always had great personal struggles with the acceptance of sinful living in exchange for production in the bus ministry.

Bro. Hyles used to say soul-winning was everything, that might be your explanation.

He could not point to purity in his family (Dave) or in many of the more famous men of the church, but they sure could produce big results.

The main goal of Bro. Hyles life was to built the biggest (string of curse words spoken by his dad) church in the world. He reminded us constantly.
If your story and statements above are true how could you stay. Are you just as culpable as the pastor. May be even more so for not crying out.

It seems you support the pastor as long as they are pastor (Hyles, Schapp, Wilkerson) until they are gone then you bash then. Based on your posts you are not a young man. With that much experience as an IFB how do you explain this.

sword said:
bgwilkinson said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Is the logic of this thinking simply that militant separation and standards trump personal conduct and integrity?

I know that sounds like a ludicrous question, but that is my perception of their reality. But surely that isn't the case. I was hoping a 'true IFB believer' would offer a response. Raider, Tim, Tom? Not just a rehash of what is believed, but the process that allows that conclusion to be reached.
bgwilkinson, while you obviously don't believe that, you have been in the movement that believes and practices such. Can you offer an explanation?

This is what I personally witnessed, ergo, when my deacon bus worker friends would invite me to go with them to Rush street in Chicago on Friday nights I knew they would be on their bus routes on Saturday and drive in to church with full buses on Sunday, this was the antidote to adultery and the lasciviousness of Rush street. It was like a get out of jail free card. Soul-winning always covered a multitude of sins with Bro. Hyles.

Two of these men who were close personal associates with Bro. Hyles divorced their wives a few years latter, and resigned as deacons. I found out latter that Bro. Hyles knew all about the Rush St. trips and the adultery all along.

I have always had great personal struggles with the acceptance of sinful living in exchange for production in the bus ministry.

Bro. Hyles used to say soul-winning was everything, that might be your explanation.

He could not point to purity in his family (Dave) or in many of the more famous men of the church, but they sure could produce big results.

The main goal of Bro. Hyles life was to built the biggest (string of curse words spoken by his dad) church in the world. He reminded us constantly.
If your story and statements above are true how could you stay. Are you just as culpable as the pastor. May be even more so for not crying out.

It seems you support the pastor as long as they are pastor (Hyles, Schapp, Wilkerson) until they are gone then you bash then. Based on your posts you are not a young man. With that much experience as an IFB how do you explain this.

Because JH was a mover and shaker, he was getting done. The numbers don't lie God was blessing.

sword said:
bgwilkinson said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I have also publicly asked Mr Wilkinson about his self flagellation on the forum...again there is sometimes no logic in how some in the IFB movement come to their standards of belief and practice. Maybe he just can't escape what he was taught.

As to the OP, I have not heard anything that gives me any understanding as to Hyles and Hammond being bastions of good and everything about Falwell and Lynchburg being bastions of evil. All things considered, I'd rather my grandchildren follow the path to the Burg rather than the unseemly, shady pragmatic ministry in Hammond. I'd hasten to say, I have great respect for Tom Brennan and have found him to be reasonable, rational and substantive. But in this case, I find his reasoning to be untenable.

And Tom is the only true believer to comment....I guess the others just think it would be casting their pearls before swine to defend their position.

Tarheel Baptist said:
To say that Falwell was morally, biblically inferior to Dr Hyles is laughable...to some of us at least.

I never made the proposition and would not support it if someone else did. In this area Falwell, like Billy Graham, has my deep respect.

Tom Brennan said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
To say that Falwell was morally, biblically inferior to Dr Hyles is laughable...to some of us at least.

I never made the proposition and would not support it if someone else did. In this area Falwell, like Billy Graham, has my deep respect.

Point taken and appreciated.

When I was a student at Liberty in the early 70's, Dr Hyles spoke there, I believe at what was then Super Conference. Our female students could wear slacks during social activities and some profs quoted versions other than the KJV. I think Dr Hyles took a less militant stand in those days.

Bruh said:
sword said:
bgwilkinson said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Because JH was a mover and shaker, he was getting done. The numbers don't lie God was blessing.

Blech... based on this reasoning, you should be enthusiastically supporting Billy Graham or possibly Joel Osteen.

Walt said:
Bruh said:
sword said:
bgwilkinson said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Blech... based on this reasoning, you should be enthusiastically supporting Billy Graham or possibly Joel Osteen.

That is the point.
That mentality is practiced by some IFB's.