Another One Bites The Dust

Mr. White

Elect
Reaction score
Bobby Buchanan Jr. was asked to resign as pastor from Central Baptist Church, Baton Rouge, La, due to financial indiscretions. This followed a short tenure that begin with his father installing him as pastor without a church vote.... they never learn do they?

Mr. White said:
Bobby Buchanan Jr. was asked to resign as pastor from Central Baptist Church, Baton Rouge, La, due to financial indiscretions. This followed a short tenure that begin with his father installing him as pastor without a church vote.... they never learn do they?

Nepotistic dynastys never end well, with few exceptions.

Mr. White said:
... with his father installing him as pastor without a church vote....

Another arrogant pastor.

Bobby was on the same floor in the dorms as I.

So sorry to hear this. I was in school at the same time he was. Never knew him well but I was not real fond of sr.

It's unfortunate due to damaging the name and reputation of many involved, their families, the church, and the name of the Lord. 
The church is not the pastor's, and no doubt the devine intervention to put an end to this type of philosophy had prevailed.... As it usually does.

IMO most of the ifb churches we hear about today seem to resemble family run businesses rather than new testament churches. There is a pastor (I think he attended hac) who has a church in Nebraska. Quite small, maybe 40 people. His two sons are his staff members. They are pretty much the only ones I see or hear about as far as teaching or ushering or having music. He has a college (if you want to call it that) with about 6 people. His daughter and SIL are the college teachers. There seems to be more rules to be an usher than for a secret service agent.

qwerty said:
It's unfortunate due to damaging the name and reputation of many involved, their families, the church, and the name of the Lord. 
The church is not the pastor's, and no doubt the devine intervention to put an end to this type of philosophy had prevailed.... As it usually does.

I know of a church that went through this; the member came to me and we had lengthy discussions.

Essentially, they were being taught that they, as ignorant sheep, should not have a voice in the new pastor, and that the old, wise "Man of God" should determine who would lead them because he was the "undershepherd" and could do a better job that allowing the people a choice.

So, he picked out a man and to make it palatable, there was a "vote", but (as I understand it), the pre-voting speech was something like "I, as the current man of God, have determined that this new man is the will of God for this church; you either vote for God's will or against it." --- and to top that off, the votes were not allowed to be secret; they would not count unsigned votes.

Walt said:
qwerty said:

I know of a church that went through this; the member came to me and we had lengthy discussions.

Essentially, they were being taught that they, as ignorant sheep, should not have a voice in the new pastor, and that the old, wise "Man of God" should determine who would lead them because he was the "undershepherd" and could do a better job that allowing the people a choice.

So, he picked out a man and to make it palatable, there was a "vote", but (as I understand it), the pre-voting speech was something like "I, as the current man of God, have determined that this new man is the will of God for this church; you either vote for God's will or against it." --- and to top that off, the votes were not allowed to be secret; they would not count unsigned votes.
Sounds eerily familiar. Makes you wonder if someone has pastors seminars where they pastors learn how to install their own guy for the next guy ?

I was a member of a church for 10 years. Right after but year-long building program, spending well over a million bucks on a facelift inside and outside of the church auditorium that netted an additional 50 seats the pastor decided he was going to leave as he had done all he could & someone younger should assume the helm. He had a HACker for an assistant pastor who was talented musically but really couldn't preach his way out of a wet paper bag, as they say. The pastor decided that the assistant should be the new pastor the yes-men deacons rubber stamped that decision.  It was announced that after a Sunday morning service it would be a church business meeting to vote in the new pastor . Not to vote on the new pastor but to vote in the new pastor. Using Robert's Rules of Order I stood with a point of order and asked if the congregation was going to be allowed to question the assistant pastor about his doctrinal stand, his philosophy of ministry and his vision for the church. The chairman of the deacons was conducting the meeting and the pastor was sitting on the front row directly in front of him. The deacon looked at the pastor the pastor shook his head no then the deacon looked at me and said, "Duly noted, the answer is no." And called for a vote.

Of course as can be expected, the HACker ran off all the Deacons because they had been deacons under the other pastor. He'd run off the choir director, the organ player, the piano player and their families. He had basically honed his sermons down to, "If the members of the church would become faithful, committed and dedicated to what I want to do we could do something here. " He

He had a banner with those 3 words hanging above the pulpit.

When he finally figure it out that he should leave, he demanded months of severance pay and found another church in another part of the country .

fishinnut said:
Walt said:
qwerty said:
The church is not the pastor's, and no doubt the divine intervention to put an end to this type of philosophy had prevailed.... As it usually does.

Essentially, they were being taught that they, as ignorant sheep, should not have a voice in the new pastor and that the old, wise "Man of God" should determine who would lead them because he was the "undershepherd" and could do a better job than allowing the people a choice.

Sounds eerily familiar. Makes you wonder if someone has pastors seminars where they pastors learn how to install their own guy for the next guy?

I was a member of a church for 10 years. Right after but year-long building program, spending well over a million bucks on a facelift inside and outside of the church auditorium that netted an additional 50 seats the pastor decided he was going to leave as he had done all he could & someone younger should assume the helm. He had a HACker for an assistant pastor who was talented musically but really couldn't preach his way out of a wet paper bag, as they say. The pastor decided that the assistant should be the new pastor the yes-men deacons rubber stamped that decision.  It was announced that after a Sunday morning service it would be a church business meeting to vote in the new pastor. Not to vote on the new pastor but to vote in the new pastor. Using Robert's Rules of Order I stood with a point of order and asked if the congregation was going to be allowed to question the assistant pastor about his doctrinal stand, his philosophy of ministry and his vision for the church. The chairman of the deacons was conducting the meeting and the pastor was sitting in the front row directly in front of him. The deacon looked at the pastor the pastor shook his head no then the deacon looked at me and said, "Duly noted, the answer is no." And called for a vote.

Of course, as can be expected, the HACker ran off all the Deacons because they had been deacons under the other pastor. He'd run off the choir director, the organ player, the piano player and their families. He had basically honed his sermons down to, "If the members of the church would become faithful, committed and dedicated to what I want to do we could do something here. " He

He had a banner with those 3 words hanging above the pulpit.

When he finally figure it out that he should leave, he demanded months of severance pay and found another church in another part of the country.

I think this is what was taught at HAC. Not sure they still teach that.

The graduates think they are doing things properly, at least I give them the benefit of the doubt.

The current HAC president was run out of the church he tried to pastor after a couple of months.

It is simply the Baptist Pope model of church. Otherwise called the Moses model, the pastor speaks in the place of God.

Bad stuff happens when these models are put in practice.

There is no place in the NT where any local assembly "votes" for anyone.

Doesn't scripture say they were to "appoint" elders?

If true, then the Methodists are closer to scriptural practice than Baptists.

bgwilkinson said:
It is simply the Baptist Pope model of church. Otherwise called the Moses model, the pastor speaks in the place of God.

Bad stuff happens when these unscriptural models are put in practice.

Agreed; I recall my friend telling me that Moses as a style for the pastorate was preached at them every now and then.  The pastor was their "man of God" - to be obeyed.

16KJV11 said:
Bobby was on the same floor in the dorms as I.
Same

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

qwerty said:
Where does one secure devine intervention?

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Bob Buchanan is now at Home Line Baptist as an Assistant Pastor.

http://homelinebaptist.com/about/

TrustInTheOne said:
Bob Buchanan is now at Home Line Baptist as an Assistant Pastor.

http://homelinebaptist.com/about/
To be honest, I wish I could vacate the pastorate.  However, I don't think I would go t the second/third/fourth man route.  Been there, done that...

16KJV11 said:
To be honest, I wish I could vacate the pastorate. 

Sounds like you're not being honest with your employer, or am I not understanding this?

Twisted said:
16KJV11 said:
To be honest, I wish I could vacate the pastorate. 

Sounds like you're not being honest with your employer, or am I not understanding this?
Believe me, God knows my feelings, but He hasn't given me permission to leave.

A little off-topic, but Bro. B. G. Buchanan went to heaven a week or so ago. 

By the title, I thought this might be another thread about Eric Capaci joining the SBC.  :)