Another Pastor commits suicide.

TheRealJonStewart

Elect
Reaction score
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/megachurch-pastor-jarrid-wilson-known-his-mental-health-advocacy-dies-n1052301

Why is this happening more?

TheRealJonStewart said:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/megachurch-pastor-jarrid-wilson-known-his-mental-health-advocacy-dies-n1052301

Why is this happening more?

That is a great question.

I personally believe it has to do with the "corruption" of our society and the stress that puts on pastors who now are more involved in things they shouldn't be doing.

I had someone post on Facebook that he knew 10 churches that the pastors had quit, and others chimed in saying much of the same thing.  A lot of it has to revolve around money, or the lack thereof.  People have to have their hands held for just about everything.  Pastors can't handle it.

We need to get back to pastors being just pastors, and not CEO's, psychologists, counselors, etc..

I hate to say this (I really, really do) but we don't see as much of this in SBC churches.  In my experience, the ones I'm familiar with have committees to run the church, which frees up the pastor to do what he should be doing, which in prayer and preaching the word.  That really takes off the stress.

Twisted said:
I hate to say this (I really, really do) but we don't see as much of this in SBC churches.  In my experience, the ones I'm familiar with have committees to run the church, which frees up the pastor to do what he should be doing, which in prayer and preaching the word.  That really takes off the stress.

Many reasons:
1. Sincere Christian Preachers get into sin and the guilt of living  a double life overtakes them.
2. Social Media has made the ministry into a competition in ways that it never was before.  Every post from someone's "good Sunday" is just a reminder of your "bad Sunday."
3. Taking too much of the burden on themselves instead of letting deacons run the daily affairs and letting the pastor focus on preaching, teaching, and ministering.
4. Let's be honest, young people are getting weaker in their ability to handle stress and responsibility.  This is a broad statement, but probably correct.  Why do pastors who have one service a week need to take month long "sabaticles?"
5. Finally, some folks have just been putting on a show for years and they don't know God or the Holy Ghost.  They talk the talk, but they are lost and empty inside.

I don't know who each point applies to and I am certainly not making any judgements about any particular cases.

cpizzle said:
Twisted said:

Many reasons:
1. Sincere Christian Preachers get into sin and the guilt of living  a double life overtakes them.
2. Social Media has made the ministry into a competition in ways that it never was before.  Every post from someone's "good Sunday" is just a reminder of your "bad Sunday."
3. Taking too much of the burden on themselves instead of letting deacons run the daily affairs and letting the pastor focus on preaching, teaching, and ministering.
4. Let's be honest, young people are getting weaker in their ability to handle stress and responsibility.  This is a broad statement, but probably correct.  Why do pastors who have one service a week need to take month long "sabaticles?"
5. Finally, some folks have just been putting on a show for years and they don't know God or the Holy Ghost.  They talk the talk, but they are lost and empty inside.

I don't know who each point applies to and I am certainly not making any judgements about any particular cases.

Good points all.

After pondering what I wrote yesterday, I'm thinking that even though things get bad, is it that bad to kill yourself?

Twisted said:
cpizzle said:
Twisted said:

Many reasons:

Good points all.

After pondering what I wrote yesterday, I'm thinking that even though things get bad, is it that bad to kill yourself?
I had a friend send me a suicide letter and his logic to himself sounded good.  He killed himself.
He wife was playing the whore, he couldn't get meaningful employment, he lost most everything he owned, he was impotent.  Yes, he made some mistakes, but he had PTSD from his time over in Iraq and Afghanistan.  He was pretty close to losing his faith altogether.

16KJV11 said:
I had a friend send me a suicide letter and his logic to himself sounded good.  He killed himself.
He wife was playing the whore, he couldn't get meaningful employment, he lost most everything he owned, he was impotent.  Yes, he made some mistakes, but he had PTSD from his time over in Iraq and Afghanistan.  He was pretty close to losing his faith altogether.

Was he a pastor?

I believe it's around 21-22 vets a DAY that kill themselves.  This is the fruit of sending young people into meaningless "wars" to commit atrocities in the name of "freedom".  I could understand their pain n wanting to end it, but that's no comparison to "church is tough".

The brain can be broken just like any other body part.  Biochemical contributions shouldn't be called spiritual sickness, thereby heaping even more guilt on the one who tries to "pray through" such an ordeal.

16KJV11 said:
Twisted said:
cpizzle said:
Twisted said:

Many reasons:

Good points all.

No, but at one time he was a very dedicated Christian.

16KJV11 said:
16KJV11 said:
Twisted said:
cpizzle said:
Twisted said:

Many reasons:

Good points all.

No, but at one time he was a very dedicated Christian.

So tragic.

cpizzle said:
Twisted said:

Many reasons:

Well said; I've seen a lot of #3: inability to delegate properly.

ALAYMAN said:
The brain can be broken just like any other body part.  Biochemical contributions shouldn't be called spiritual sickness, thereby heaping even more guilt on the one who tries to "pray through" such an ordeal.

AMEN! Mental illness is not a sin and must be addressed correctly.