Another reason to prohibit smartphones in church...

So, one checks the facts and learns the preacher is off this Sunday. Most say "amen" when the preacher is right ... can I say "not true!" when I see he is wrong? Probably not. But, perhaps after service one could point out a few points and see the reaction.

Timothy said:
So, one checks the facts and learns the preacher is off this Sunday. Most say "amen" when the preacher is right ... can I say "not true!" when I see he is wrong? Probably not. But, perhaps after service one could point out a few points and see the reaction.

True story:
This Sunday, the speaker asked from Ecclesiastes: "So, does God want us focus on accumulating wealth?"  The pastor shouted out YES!  I then shouted out NO!  The speaker looked at me, then continued his tribble about getting money is good and how we can leave a legacy with our money.  Again, I spoke out loud enough for many around to hear - "That also is vanity and vexation of spirit."

The name of my adult Sunday School class is "The Noble Bereans", as I regularly encourage (as I did in this Sunday's sermon regarding "true worship"...in spirit and truth) folk to "trust, but verify".  Making sure that what we hear matches up with what Scripture is saying is a good thing in general, but the sermon ought to be listened to, with mental (or quick written) notes made to check things after the sermon.  Getting distracted by googling stuff will cause you to miss the thrust of what is being said.  If a pastor/teacher has demonstrated routine credibility and competence then there should not be a need for distrust and copious amounts of research or fact-checking during the sermon.

Binaca Chugger said:
Timothy said:

True story:
This Sunday, the speaker asked from Ecclesiastes: "So, does God want us focus on accumulating wealth?"  The pastor shouted out YES!  I then shouted out NO!  The speaker looked at me, then continued his tribble about getting money is good and how we can leave a legacy with our money.  Again, I spoke out loud enough for many around to hear - "That also is vanity and vexation of spirit."

Ones focus should be on Jesus Christ. Makes me wonder, how much money did he have?

I would hope your pastor "fact" checked his sermon before he preached it.  If he didn't.  He is not spending enough time on it

ALAYMAN said:
The name of my adult Sunday School class is "The Noble Bereans", as I regularly encourage (as I did in this Sunday's sermon regarding "true worship"...in spirit and truth) folk to "trust, but verify".  Making sure that what we hear matches up with what Scripture is saying is a good thing in general, but the sermon ought to be listened to, with mental (or quick written) notes made to check things after the sermon.  Getting distracted by googling stuff will cause you to miss the thrust of what is being said. If a pastor/teacher has demonstrated routine credibility and competence then there should not be a need for distrust and copious amounts of research or fact-checking during the sermon.

Well said.

:)

I've had people fact check my sermons.  I can't get mad about it because if I was in the pew I'd be doing the same thing.
I publish a manuscript of my sermons, which just opens them up to more fact checking, so I try to be careful about what I say.

Binaca Chugger said:
Timothy said:

True story:
I love it.

Anishinabe

ALAYMAN said:
The name of my adult Sunday School class is "The Noble Bereans", as I regularly encourage (as I did in this Sunday's sermon regarding "true worship"...in spirit and truth) folk to "trust, but verify".  Making sure that what we hear matches up with what Scripture is saying is a good thing in general, but the sermon ought to be listened to, with mental (or quick written) notes made to check things after the sermon.  Getting distracted by googling stuff will cause you to miss the thrust of what is being said.  If a pastor/teacher has demonstrated routine credibility and competence then there should not be a need for distrust and copious amounts of research or fact-checking during the sermon.

I have e-sword on my ipad, so switching to the commentaries, word search and cross-comparison is pretty simple.  I find it very stimulating to delve a little deeper during the lesson while cute stories are being told for the majority of un-churched to understand.

Binaca Chugger said:
ALAYMAN said:

I have e-sword on my ipad, so switching to the commentaries, word search and cross-comparison is pretty simple.  I find it very stimulating to delve a little deeper during the lesson while cute stories are being told for the majority of un-churched to understand.
I'm constantly using the concordance on my Olivé Tree Bible Study app, much to the chagrin of the speaker. 
Of course, we that teach the Word are commanded to judge the teaching of others. I Cor.14:29-32

Anishinaabe

prophet said:
Binaca Chugger said:
ALAYMAN said:

I'm constantly using the concordance on my Olivé Tree Bible Study app, much to the chagrin of the speaker. 
Of course, we that teach the Word are commanded to judge the teaching of others. I Cor.14:29-32

Anishinaabe

Check out "my sword for android"

It is basically e-sword for your android phone.  Awesome Tool

Binaca Chugger said:
prophet said:
Binaca Chugger said:
ALAYMAN said:

Anishinaabe

Check out "my sword for android"

It is basically e-sword for your android phone.  Awesome Tool
I will, I loved esword on my p.c. since 2003, but havent used a pc in 2 years.

Anishinaabe

If someone is fact checking a sermon during the sermon itself that person just might as well go home. It's not doing them any good. They're not there to be edified or edify. Maybe they can do it at home or maybe find a preacher they trust. Or maybe better yet, they ought to go home and "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed" so they needeth not have to useth a smart phoneth.

admin said:
Not. The Bereans set an example for us. They received the word with gladness but did not just accept everything they heard as true... from an apostle, nevertheless!

I fact-check when something sounds wrong.

Ya but they did things a little different. Back then when Paul met in the "synagogue of the Jews" and "he reasoned with them out of the scriptures" there was always a back and forth. That was the custom of the day. In today's time do it after the service  :)

Bob H said:
If someone is fact checking a sermon during the sermon itself that person just might as well go home. It's not doing them any good. They're not there to be edified or edify. Maybe they can do it at home or maybe find a preacher they trust. Or maybe better yet, they ought to go home and "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed" so they needeth not have to useth a smart phoneth.

Our Sunday School is very give and take.

Service times are more of, write that down and get back to it.

HeDied4U said:
ALAYMAN said:
The name of my adult Sunday School class is "The Noble Bereans", as I regularly encourage (as I did in this Sunday's sermon regarding "true worship"...in spirit and truth) folk to "trust, but verify".  Making sure that what we hear matches up with what Scripture is saying is a good thing in general, but the sermon ought to be listened to, with mental (or quick written) notes made to check things after the sermon.  Getting distracted by googling stuff will cause you to miss the thrust of what is being said. If a pastor/teacher has demonstrated routine credibility and competence then there should not be a need for distrust and copious amounts of research or fact-checking during the sermon.

Well said.

:)

When the Red Flag is raised we would all do well to salute it, routine credibility or not.