Another reason why we should no longer use the KJV

Bruh said:
When you have to lie to TRY and discredit something, does that say something about what you're try to discredit?

No.

or does it say something about the person? Doing the lying.

Perhaps.

Stephen said:
the KJV just isn't a good translation anymore.  it has nothing to do with comic strips though. it's just a bad translation.  the NKJV and ESV are much better.

So, you are claiming that the KJV was a good translation at one time?  But then you contradict yourself by saying "it's just a bad translation".

Define "better"?  Do you mean give support to and/or follow the modern critical text?  Do you mean "supported by modernists"? Do you mean "products of people who hated and despised the KJV?" OK, then perhaps they are "better" in that regard.

The NKJV is a terrible translation in some places, for all that it supposedly follows the Received Text.  I can hear the clamor for proof now:

OK,
  • In Matthew 7, the NKJV has Jesus saying that salvation is "difficult", which is wrong.  Salvation is easy; it is compared to eating, drinking, taking a gift.
  • In John 1, the KJV declares that all things were made BY Him; the NKJV has this as all things were made THROUGH Him
  • In Heb 2, the KJV states "For verily, he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham"  The NKJV says "For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham".
    There is NO support in the Greek for the concept of "give aid to".  This is a supporting verse for the Incarnation which the NKJV has utterly removed

Today, what is the oldest translation that we have?

NIV?
KJV?
ESV?
NKJV?

Idk, wants to oldest that we have today?

Walt said:
So, you are claiming that the KJV was a good translation at one time?  But then you contradict yourself by saying "it's just a bad translation".

Define "better"?  Do you mean give support to and/or follow the modern critical text?  Do you mean "supported by modernists"? Do you mean "products of people who hated and despised the KJV?" OK, then perhaps they are "better" in that regard.

More accurate in regards to both modern English usage and the historical texts.

Back to our gay ole thread...

Tarheel Baptist said:
I disagree that the KJV isn't a good translation if by good you mean accurate.

in many instances it is not an accurate translation.  anyone who does in depth Bible study will soon realize the KJV is a very flawed translation when it comes to accurately communicating the original greek/hebrew.   

i'll just give you one of many many examples.

2 tim 2:15 (kjv) Study to shew thyself approved.....

the word STUDY is simply not an accurate translation of the underlying greek.  the better translation is "be diligent"

I dare you to pick up your kjv, put your finger on ANY new testament chapter and then compare the KJV to the ESV or NKJV.  Note any major differences in translation and you will see 99 times out of 100 the KJV is inferior. 

Walt said:

yes it was a good translation in 1600's.  however, the meaning of words changes over time.  "suffer the little children to come to me" was probably a fine translation in 1611.  it's a terrible translation today. 

Walt said:

I listed the NKJV and ESV for a reason.  if you prefer the TR then the NKJV is a superior translation than the KJV.  if you prefer the critical text then the ESV is superior. 

Stephen said:
Walt said:

yes it was a good translation in 1600's.  however, the meaning of words changes over time.  "suffer the little children to come to me" was probably a fine translation in 1611.  it's a terrible translation today. 

Walt said:

I listed the NKJV and ESV for a reason.  if you prefer the TR then the NKJV is a superior translation than the KJV.  if you prefer the critical text then the ESV is superior.

The NKJV was my favorite for a long time, but I'm finding too many examples of poor translation in it these days.  So I'm just not using it as much anymore. 

Stephen said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
I disagree that the KJV isn't a good translation if by good you mean accurate.

in many instances it is not an accurate translation.  anyone who does in depth Bible study will soon realize the KJV is a very flawed translation when it comes to accurately communicating the original greek/hebrew.   

i'll just give you one of many many examples.

2 tim 2:15 (kjv) Study to shew thyself approved.....

the word STUDY is simply not an accurate translation of the underlying greek.  the better translation is "be diligent"

I dare you to pick up your kjv, put your finger on ANY new testament chapter and then compare the KJV to the ESV or NKJV.  Note any major differences in translation and you will see 99 times out of 100 the KJV is inferior.

You knit pick; the text accurately says to 'Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth'.
'Study' is not doing a disservice to the context of rightly handling the word of truth.

Now, I use with regularity the ESV and the NKJV...but the KJV is a good, accurate translation of the scriptures.

Bruh said:
When you have to lie to TRY and discredit something, does that say something about what you're try to discredit? or does it say something about the person? Doing the lying.

Yes and absolutely yes!

Tarheel Baptist said:
Now, I use with regularity the ESV and the NKJV...but the KJV is a good, accurate translation of the scriptures.

With some errors. Just like any other translation.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Bruh said:
When you have to lie to TRY and discredit something, does that say something about what you're try to discredit? or does it say something about the person? Doing the lying.

Yes and absolutely yes!
Can you provide a logical explanation of your first yes?

rsc2a said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Bruh said:

Yes and absolutely yes!

In this case, the rationale is obvious.
The premise that we should no longer use the KJV is ridiculous to begin with.
In order to prove the false premise he uses false/deceitful/dishonest information.
I conclude, that in this instance the correct answers were yes and yes.

rsc2a said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

With some errors. Just like any other translation.

It is equal to any other English translation and better than many/most.
I prefer the ESV in my study and NKJV in my preaching and teaching.

Tarheel Baptist said:
rsc2a said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Bruh said:

Yes and absolutely yes!

In order to prove the false premise he uses false/deceitful/dishonest information.

He was using a comic to make a point that language and expressions change over time.  I'm sure Recovering IFB didn't know it was a photoshop.  I saw it on FB and I didn't know it was a photoshop, either.  And the person who created the photoshop wasn't doing it to make a point about the KJV.  It was just a joke about how expressions change.  Because it's true that "solid dick" is a colloquialism for "straight truth". 

So there was no intent to deceive.  It was an honest mistake. 

And the point is still valid.  I illustrated with the expression "private dick".  But you can just take one of a gazillion verses out of the KJV to illustrate the point.  For example:

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Now make up your mind.  Has language changed such that this translation is misleading, or does God create evil? 

Tarheel Baptist said:
You knit pick; the text accurately says to 'Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth'.
'Study' is not doing a disservice to the context of rightly handling the word of truth.

I have no idea what "not doing a disservice" is supposed to mean.  I made the claim that the KJV is not a good translation anymore.  i listed 1 of probably hundreds of examples where the English in the KJV  just doesn't accurately translate the greek. 

I didn't "knit pick" anything.  I'm pretty certain i could find a flawed translation in just about any chapter in the NT of the KJV. 

"study" to shew thyself approved is NOT a good translation in today's english of what Paul said in 2 timothy.  For that matter, "dividing the word of God" isn't a great translation either.  it should read "handling the word of God." 

the KJV was a great translation in 1611.  it is not a great translation today.  it's just not.

The Rogue Tomato said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
rsc2a said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Bruh said:

Yes and absolutely yes!

He was using a comic to make a point that language and expressions change over time.  I'm sure Recovering IFB didn't know it was a photoshop.  I saw it on FB and I didn't know it was a photoshop, either.  And the person who created the photoshop wasn't doing it to make a point about the KJV.  It was just a joke about how expressions change.  Because it's true that "solid dick" is a colloquialism for "straight truth". 

So there was no intent to deceive.  It was an honest mistake. 

And the point is still valid.  I illustrated with the expression "private dick".  But you can just take one of a gazillion verses out of the KJV to illustrate the point.  For example:

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Now make up your mind.  Has language changed such that this translation is misleading, or does God create evil?

Are you saying that other English translations have no issues, at all?
Again, I say that the KJV is as good as any English translation and better than many/most!

And dishonesty by any other name....

Tarheel Baptist said:
rsc2a said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Bruh said:

Yes and absolutely yes!

Petito Principii fallacy.

Another explanation?

Stephen:
I have no idea what "not doing a disservice" is supposed to mean.  I made the claim that the KJV is not a good translation anymore.  i listed 1 of probably hundreds of examples where the English in the KJV  just doesn't accurately translate the greek. 

I'm not responsible for your comprehension and understanding.
And i think your claim is false, based on your bias.

I didn't "knit pick" anything.  I'm pretty certain i could find a flawed translation in just about any chapter in the NT of the KJV. 

"study" to shew thyself approved is NOT a good translation in today's english of what Paul said in 2 timothy.  For that matter, "dividing the word of God" isn't a great translation either.  it should read "handling the word of God." 

the KJV was a great translation in 1611.  it is not a great translation today.  it's just not.

Yes, you knit picked the meaning of the word...which did not change the meaning of the verse at all.
You nit pick again....

With all due deference to your 'skolarship', you make false, biased claims.
You still have a little fundy in you..... ;)

rsc2a said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
rsc2a said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Bruh said:

Yes and absolutely yes!

Petito Principii fallacy.

Another explanation?

You believe the statement that 'we should no longer use the KJV' is a legitimate, viable truthful proposition?

Tarheel Baptist said:
Recovering IFB said:
So I  guess this puts me in the same group with BibleBeliever for falling for a hoax!!  ;D
FWIW, I still don't think the KJV is still the best transition to use anyway. I thought using this "cartoon comic strip" was  a hilarious way of proving that point.

Actually, it keeps you in the same category as BB.  ;)
Wow thanks, I guess......