Anybody Go to this thing?

One of my Facebook friends was there and possibly my hometown pastor took a group.  So far I've heard it went well.

So, is it pretty much the same as Hammond?  Yell and scream about God's will is for you to do what we say?

Wasn't there...but I just want to say...critics bother me!

wtyson said:

Touchy, Touchy!

Isn't this place trying to be like a little Hammond?  Or, at least what Hammond was 30 years ago - only with a Kentucky twang - and ALOT of politics, a la Frank Norris?

So.....read some of the posts from Youth Conference memories, then come on back.

Fair question from an outsider, I thought.  Is it another round of the all-knowing MOG declaring you must come to college here - IOW, a promotional tool for their college alone - or more of a simple challenge to teens to renew commitments?

Binaca Chugger said:
wtyson said:
IOW, a promotional tool for their college alone - or more of a simple challenge to teens to renew commitments?

Probably a little of both.  Just wondering how you encourage kids to come to your college?

You can listen to some of 2012's messages at the link below and judge for yourself.  While I do believe they promote their college and encourage kids to attend -as they have the right to do - the preaching is more for challenging young people to live for God.  Period.  I heard one of this year's messages was along the line of "You're not a fundamentalist because of what you're against." 

http://www.commonwealthbaptist.org/media.php

IFB X-Files said:
Binaca Chugger said:
wtyson said:
IOW, a promotional tool for their college alone - or more of a simple challenge to teens to renew commitments?

Probably a little of both.  Just wondering how you encourage kids to come to your college?

I don't have a college  :eek:.  But, I am trying to glean information to help my kids make decisions.

So, is it pretty much the same as Hammond? Yell and scream about God's will is for you to do what we say?

DON'T BE A HATER:

I'm for all the youth conferences!

It seems to me if every large gospel preaching church had a youth conference and if every young person who attended was called to the mission field it would not be too many. It's a very large world.

I don't think we can have too many opportunities for young people to be challenged to live right and to surrender to Gods will.

I don't think God will call them all into full time service, but he does have a plan for their lives.

I also don't think someone can go to every conference out there. People have to pick the 2 or 3 that are right for them.

Last edited:
My kids love going to conferences and I encourage it. This year our church is only going to the Wilds and my kids are disappointed ( they like the Wilds, just that they arent going to a conference). I think at conference teens can be encouraged to live a life for Christ, not just to surrender to full time service.

Their favorite conference is the one at Gospel Light, they are not fans of the one at Tom Sexton's church.

kaba said:
My kids love going to conferences and I encourage it. This year our church is only going to the Wilds and my kids are disappointed ( they like the Wilds, just that they arent going to a conference). I think at conference teens can be encouraged to live a life for Christ, not just to surrender to full time service.

Their favorite conference is the one at Gospel Light, they are not fans of the one at Tom Sexton's church.

Exactly.  At any conference teens can be encouraged to live for Christ!

kaba said:

What is it that causes them to prefer one over the other?

Commonwealth, like most "Bible colleges", is an unaccredited institution. Any kid that goes needs to understand that outside of an IFB church (and in this case, one aligned with the Hyles camp) the "degree" they get is worthless. They better be sure God has called them to minister in an IFB church, otherwise they are wasting what is probably four of the most important learning years of their lives and $50k.

Man without a country said:
Commonwealth, like most "Bible colleges", is an unaccredited institution. Any kid that goes needs to understand that outside of an IFB church (and in this case, one aligned with the Hyles camp) the "degree" they get is worthless. They better be sure God has called them to minister in an IFB church, otherwise they are wasting what is probably four of the most important learning years of their lives and $50k.

What say ye, 16KJV11?

Twisted said:
Man without a country said:

What say ye, 16KJV11?
My son goes there now b/c of a girl he likes, not b/c I encouraged him to.
Hey, Jacob worked 14 years for two women.
I could think of worse things he could be doing with his life.
I do like the school and I like Pastor Fugate.