Anyone interested?

B

Bro Blue

Anybody interested in bluegrass/newgrass/acoustic music? I'm a musician and mandolin is my main instrument. If so, who are some artists you like?

Some of mine:

Chris Thile-before he got weird
Bela Fleck
Mark O Conner
Sam Bush
Celtic Thunder
Altan
Celtic Woman

I like the progressive stuff. Those older ones paved the way, but the newer cats came riding down that highway with style!

I like the older bluegrass like Bill Monroe and Flatt and Scruggs.

Bill Monroe wrote a lot of great tunes that still play quite a bit. One of my favorite songs of his is not that well known...Come hither to go yonder. And I love playing Big Mon.

I'm not much of a country music fan, but I've made an exception for bluegrass. Like many people, I'm sure, it had something to do with seeing O Brother, Where Art Thou?.

I've been trying (and failing) for years to learn guitar.  But I've been mulling over for nearly as long what I would do next after becoming competent with a six-string acoustic.  Somewhere along the line, I thought it would be fun to "graduate" to a dobro.  Partly to be different (no one else I know plays one), but also because I heard Dan Tyminski's playing on a few recordings and was duly blown away.

To my knowledge Dan doesn't play dobro. If he does it's news to me. IMO, the greatest dobro players is Jerry Douglas and Rob Ickes. I got to jam with Rob Ickes and Shawn Lane of Blue Highway in S Carolina one time. Nice guys.

Forgot to say...i don't know too many people playing dobro either. I can only think of one in my area. And I can't stand country music. Lot of people say it's all the same, but soooo not true.

Bro Blue said:

To my knowledge Dan doesn't play dobro.

D'oh! You're right - I meant Jerry Douglas.  Right band, wrong player.

Not much into straight bluegrass type music....but I do love the Irish style that is similar!

Celtic music is my #2 music. I have had a love affair with Ireland since middle school when we had to pick a country to do a project on. On Pandora one of my stations is Celtic Thunder. Plus, there is definitely a lot of irish influence in bluegrass. And I have scottish-irish roots.

Do any of you guys or gals play any instruments? Ransom, you said you did. I play mandolin, guitar, fiddle, and bass. Been playing for twenty years.

Bro Blue said:
Celtic music is my #2 music. I have had a love affair with Ireland since middle school when we had to pick a country to do a project on. On Pandora one of my stations is Celtic Thunder. Plus, there is definitely a lot of irish influence in bluegrass. And I have scottish-irish roots.

Do any of you guys or gals play any instruments? Ransom, you said you did. I play mandolin, guitar, fiddle, and bass. Been playing for twenty years.

The only thing I can play is the radio.... ;D

Do any of you guys or gals play any instruments? Ransom, you said you did.

Piano, and played trumpet through high school (could still do it if I owned a horn).  Learning guitar, but very slowly.

Music has certainly been a big part of my life. May be about to give some lessons soon.

I heard something the other day from a guy that doing some unreal things on a uke. Growing up playing the mandolin, I had to hear the dreaded question all the time...is that a ukelele. In a countrified nasal tone usually. Along with the obligatory yee haw and a knee slap! ::)

I'm not much of a bluegrass fan with one big exception:

I'm crazy for Alison Krauss, who IMO is the best female vocalist in any genre.

Yep, she is good. You might want to check some of the artists in the op. Those guys are acoustic shredders.

Bro Blue said:
Yep, she is good. You might want to check some of the artists in the op. Those guys are acoustic shredders.

Oh, and Leo Kottke, my favorite acoustic shredder!  8)