Anyone Remember Shiloh?

Tim

Elect
Reaction score
Never mind. got my answer. yep. his son pastors the local Church near me. 100% proof located.

Wow!

Tim said:
Remember how he was obsessed with the blood doctrine?

You mean you're not?

Twisted said:
Tim said:

You mean you're not?
I believe he is referring to he pushed the "God's blood" false doctrine

T-Bone said:
Twisted said:
Tim said:

You mean you're not?

Yep. That is/was what I was referring to.

If I am correct, this is Shiloh preaching about the blood ... didn't listen to it all, so I don't know if he gets into the magic blood stuff in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVhJ5zAUqJU

T-Bone said:

I confess I have no idea what that means.

My favourite Shiloh moment was when he claimed that the mustard seed in the parable of Matthew 13:31-32 was some sort of unnatural abomination. He got really, really worked up when I pointed out that black mustard does, in fact, grow into a tree. Not that it took much to get him angry, but wow--he really had a stake in that interpretation of the parable for some reason.

Twisted said:

He's talking about the belief that Jesus' blood was divine, not human, and that was the reason for its efficacy in forgiving sins.  I don't know what the origin of this belief is, but it was popularized in the 1940s by M. R. de Haan's booklet "The Chemistry of the Blood," in which he argued that the father exclusively contributes the blood to the biological makeup of his offspring--and since Jesus had no human father, his blood must have been divine.

This is factually incorrect--like every other part of the body, blood is a blend of the genes of both parents--but de Haan was writing before the discovery of DNA and can be excused for a less than up-to-date understanding of genetics. However, he popularized a Christological heresy, albeit unintentionally, by weakening the doctrine of the full humanity of the Son.

I'm the one who started calling this doctrine "magic blood." By this I meant that the doctrine implies there was something intrinsic to Christ's blood that would cause the Father to forgive sins. Magic powers, in other words. Of course, proper orthodoxy says that the Son's sacrifice was efficacious because his righteousness and obedience in going to the cross pleased his Father-- who he was, not what was inside him.

Ransom said:
Twisted said:

He's talking about the belief that Jesus' blood was divine, not human, and that was the reason for its efficacy in forgiving sins.  I don't know what the origin of this belief is, but it was popularized in the 1940s by M. R. de Haan's booklet "The Chemistry of the Blood," in which he argued that the father exclusively contributes the blood to the biological makeup of his offspring--and since Jesus had no human father, his blood must have been divine.

This is factually incorrect--like every other part of the body, blood is a blend of the genes of both parents--but de Haan was writing before the discovery of DNA and can be excused for a less than up-to-date understanding of genetics. However, he popularized a Christological heresy, albeit unintentionally, by weakening the doctrine of the full humanity of the Son.

I'm the one who started calling this doctrine "magic blood." By this I meant that the doctrine implies there was something intrinsic to Christ's blood that would cause the Father to forgive sins. Magic powers, in other words. Of course, proper orthodoxy says that the Son's sacrifice was efficacious because his righteousness and obedience in going to the cross pleased his Father-- who he was, not what was inside him.

Got it.  So....what/who made up the other part of Jesus' DNA?

This sound like it could head down the path of John MacArthur's "anemic blood" position.

Twisted said:

Jesus' conception was miraculous. Since God created an entire universe, I don't imagine that whipping up 23 male chromosomes was too much trouble.

Ransom said:
Twisted said:

Jesus' conception was miraculous. Since God created an entire universe, I don't imagine that whipping up 23 male chromosomes was too much trouble.

Okay, that made me chuckle.

Remember Shiloh? Sure. The battle of Shiloh, April 6-7, 1862. I wasn't there, but remember reading about it.

no value said:
Remember Shiloh? Sure. The battle of Shiloh, April 6-7, 1862. I wasn't there, but remember reading about it.

Wasn't that the ranch where The Virginian worked?

Seriously, wasn't he the guy that live in Maine, hunted bears and took up for Hepzibah House big time?

Jubal Sackett

Jubal Sackett said:
Seriously, wasn't he the guy that live in Maine, hunted bears and took up for Hepzibah House big time?

Jubal Sackett

Yep. Basically.

Jubal Sackett said:

Jubal Sackett

Kind of an older, mean version of Frag.  8)