Are you for or against screens in preaching.

What ^ said!

Good to see you here again Mathew! Are you going to be in the Florida panhandle anytime? We are just outside Pensacola in Gulf Shores, 'Bama.

In this video-visual culture...when you can hardly find a restaurant without a TV in every corner of the room...why wouldn't the church use the technology to better communicate the message of the Cross?!

Tarheel Baptist said:
In this video-visual culture...when you can hardly find a restaurant without a TV in every corner of the room...why wouldn't the church use the technology to better communicate the message of the Cross?!

I'm not opposed to screens if they are needed (auditorium is too big, can't see the preacher), but otherwise I kind of view them on par with those 30K pianos that others complained about in another thread...Nice to have but not really necessary for having church.

16KJV11 said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I'm not opposed to screens if they are needed (auditorium is too big, can't see the preacher), but otherwise I kind of view them on par with those 30K pianos that others complained about in another thread...Nice to have but not really necessary for having church.

I really don't know anyone who would say they are necessary for church.  I purposely put mine away at least one service a week (if not more.)  They do make it nice to help people visualize where something was, what Herod looked like, or how Hosea fits in with the rest of the prophets though.

Web said:
Bathrooms aren't necessary for church, either.  People COULD squat behind a tree and do their business.

But, I'm certainly thankful for the CONVENIENCE of indoor plumbing while at church.

Well, for that matter, we don't really need really need electric lights either.  Candles can do!
Pews, heat, all luxuries that can be done without.

Web said:
16KJV11 said:
Web said:
Bathrooms aren't necessary for church, either.  People COULD squat behind a tree and do their business.

But, I'm certainly thankful for the CONVENIENCE of indoor plumbing while at church.

Well, for that matter, we don't really need really need electric lights either.  Candles can do!
Pews, heat, all luxuries that can be done without.

Exactly.

Well, there you go.  Now you know how your business can save money.

FSSL said:
I prefer the screens, HOWEVER, here are some pitfalls:

Here are some positives:
  • Using different versions to show various meanings.

HERETIC!

;D

We have been going to churches with screens for a few years now.  Announcements and the like are all great.  I still like to use a hymnal to sing - reading the music is much better than just reading the words, but, whatever.  I have noticed people's and preacher's over-commitment to the outline, rather than the truth.  It seems that most are simply  interested in filling in the blank on the outline and so on.  I miss the emphasis on the truth being presented in an outline format.  I have also noticed that the altar is rarely used and most services an invitation is not even given.  I have noticed a turning from what truth does God have for me in this message and what does God want me to examine in my life to what is the next blank for this form.  To me - that is a problem.

Binaca Chugger said:
We have been going to churches with screens for a few years now.  Announcements and the like are all great.  I still like to use a hymnal to sing - reading the music is much better than just reading the words, but, whatever.  I have noticed people's and preacher's over-commitment to the outline, rather than the truth.  It seems that most are simply  interested in filling in the blank on the outline and so on.  I miss the emphasis on the truth being presented in an outline format.  I have also noticed that the altar is rarely used and most services an invitation is not even given.  I have noticed a turning from what truth does God have for me in this message and what does God want me to examine in my life to what is the next blank for this form.  To me - that is a problem.

There is no altar in a church.  An altar is where you perform a sacrifice.  Some people call the table that holds the crackers and grape juice an altar, because it's symbolic of the sacrifice.  But what most people call an altar is just a podium or a raised stage. 

Also, the assembly of believers is supposed to be just that -- the assembly of believers.  Unless some unbeliever wanders in, there shouldn't be a need for an invitation. 

pastorryanhayden said:
I really don't know anyone who would say they are necessary for church.  I purposely put mine away at least one service a week (if not more.)  They do make it nice to help people visualize where something was, what Herod looked like, or how Hosea fits in with the rest of the prophets though.

This is the key. Helping people to visualize.  So if it helps people visualize the announcements, song service or illustrate a point in the message shouldn't churches should use them for that?

For example...

In describing the size of the universe a video similar to this one (without the narration) was very helpful in visualizing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38ti9BJiyvs

In understanding the size of earth this creation minute was helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vJDR3xX1Dic

In illustrating information overload the Bing commercial helped illustrate the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnlUGBZ2qO0

If you wanted to use Perzi to help, that is great.

http://prezi.com/sd_oeiuxiagi/present/?auth_key=lp3e9kt&follow=hbo5gladp5bv&kw=present-sd_oeiuxiagi&rc=ref-3474300

Binaca Chugger said:

You make a good point.  Use of the screen goes better with an informative message than one meant to inspire and challenge.  It is better as a teaching tool than a preaching tool.
That being said, I think people need both teaching and preaching.  They need all of scripture.  There is a whole lot of scripture that doesn't lend itself to an "altar call."  Limiting your pulpit ministry to messages that do lend themselves to an altar call is going to give you a biblically illiterate, shallow congregation. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
There is no altar in a church.  An altar is where you perform a sacrifice.  Some people call the table that holds the crackers and grape juice an altar, because it's symbolic of the sacrifice.  But what most people call an altar is just a podium or a raised stage. 

Fine.  No physical sacrifice is made - Christ is the final sacrifice.  However, "I die daily" is still in the Bible.

The Rogue Tomato said:
Also, the assembly of believers is supposed to be just that -- the assembly of believers.  Unless some unbeliever wanders in, there shouldn't be a need for an invitation.

Whoa.  So wrong.

First - why would you not expect visitors/unbelievers in your church?  Do you not live in such a way that causes others to recognize Christ and testify of God to others?

Second - If the believer believes himself to no longer need self-examination, repentance, dedication or to die daily (purposes for invitation) - the church should offer an invitation for the believer to repent of his pride.

[quote author=Binaca Chugger][quote author=The Rogue Tomato]Also, the assembly of believers is supposed to be just that -- the assembly of believers.  Unless some unbeliever wanders in, there shouldn't be a need for an invitation.
[/quote]

Whoa.  So wrong.[/quote]

No. Right.

[quote author=Binaca Chugger]First - why would you not expect visitors/unbelievers in your church?  Do you not live in such a way that causes others to recognize Christ and testify of God to others?[/quote]

This is a fundamental disconnect here, namely what the church is and its purpose. The church is the assembled body of believers, and its purpose is to equip the saints. Equip them so that they can "live in such a way that causes others to recognize Christ and testify of God to others". The church is for the saints. The saints who then go into the world and make disciples...that eventually become part of the church.

[quote author=Binaca Chugger]Second - If the believer believes himself to no longer need self-examination, repentance, dedication or to die daily (purposes for invitation) - the church should offer an invitation for the believer to repent of his pride.[/quote]

I can do that just fine from my chair. And if I feel a particular need, I can pull someone aside and talk with them. The 'altar' is mainly for show....well, show and stoking a pastor's ego.

rsc2a said:
[quote author=Binaca Chugger][quote author=The Rogue Tomato]Also, the assembly of believers is supposed to be just that -- the assembly of believers.  Unless some unbeliever wanders in, there shouldn't be a need for an invitation.

Whoa.  So wrong.

No. Right.[/quote]

Paul was ignorant of that 'fact' when he wrote 1 Cor. 14:23-25, I guess.

Tarheel Baptist said:
rsc2a said:

Whoa.  So wrong.

No. Right.[/quote]

Paul was ignorant of that 'fact' when he wrote 1 Cor. 14:23-25, I guess.[/quote]

I fail to see where Paul was discussing the purpose of the church there.

The Rogue Tomato said:

meh, from a Calvinist's perspective, the unbeliever doesn't need an invitation either, only a command.

In a church with 6,000 seats it's nice to see the pastor.

It's nice to see the people in the choir.

It's nice to see the words the choir is singing because I have heard many a choir, even in the most conservative of IFB churches, sing songs where you can't hear the words clearly they are singing.

It's nice to be able to sing songs not in the hymnal sometimes.

It's nice to be able to read the lips of the pastor occasionally if you listened to too much loud music when you were young.

You remember more by what you right down than just what you listen to. Sermon outlines and "fill in the blanks" IMO are advantageous to learning.  It's not a"screen" that makes it bad but the quality of the sermon, outline or fill in the blank items that need to be evaluated and the use of each on the screen.

And above all...use it right and don't use a screen just to "use a screen". You hopefully have a guy lead music because he knows what he's doing. Use a video/graphic guy who understands it and knows what he's doing.

16KJV11 said:

FTR, Bosendorfer Pianos are NOT $30,000 pianos. They sell for over $100,000 each. Trieber's four Bosendorfers were a vanity purchase...

http://www.coloradopianobuyersguide.com/bosendorfer.htm

"What makes a Bosendorfer the Rolls-Royce of the Piano World? Why is the Bosendorfer the most expensive piano in the World? What makes one grand piano cost 4-5 times as much as another?"

Price list:
http://www.coloradopianobuyersguide.com/bosendorfer_piano_prices.htm

rsc2a said:
[quote author=Binaca Chugger]Second - If the believer believes himself to no longer need self-examination, repentance, dedication or to die daily (purposes for invitation) - the church should offer an invitation for the believer to repent of his pride.

I can do that just fine from my chair. And if I feel a particular need, I can pull someone aside and talk with them. The 'altar' is mainly for show....well, show and stoking a pastor's ego.

Yes - you can do that in your chair, your sofa or your bathroom.  Yes - there are many showboat Christians who misuse the altar.  Yes - many pastors view their greatness by how many people "responded."

However - properly used as:
  • An opportunity to ask a group leader for further explanation, prayer or consoling
  • An opportunity to immediately respond to the truth that had been presented
  • A place to pour out your heart to God in expression of humility
  • A time for the believer to sacrifice his will to God's
  • A time for the believer to "die daily"
  • An acknowledgement that no one in the church "has it all together," but that each of us are struggling and in the process of sanctification
the altar and the invitation for the saint to personally do each or one of these actions at the altar, is a significant portion of the church service.

Binaca Chugger said:
rsc2a said:
[quote author=Binaca Chugger]First - why would you not expect visitors/unbelievers in your church?  Do you not live in such a way that causes others to recognize Christ and testify of God to others?

This is a fundamental disconnect here, namely what the church is and its purpose. The church is the assembled body of believers, and its purpose is to equip the saints. Equip them so that they can "live in such a way that causes others to recognize Christ and testify of God to others". The church is for the saints. The saints who then go into the world and make disciples...that eventually become part of the church.

C'mon, Really!?!  Surely you do not put bouncers at the door to only allow the members in.  ::)  To expect no curious neighbors, co-workers, friends or relatives to see what church is all about, is quite un-evangelistic.  Yes, the church is for the saint, but surely you expect unbelievers to periodically visit.[/quote]

Sure. Non-believers will visit. That doesn't mean we change the purpose of the church because of this. The church is still there to equip the saints. The more you shift from this purpose to "evangelism", the less relevant you make the church for the saint...the very one the church is supposed to be for.

[quote author=Binaca Chugger][quote author=rsc2a][quote author=Binaca Chugger]Second - If the believer believes himself to no longer need self-examination, repentance, dedication or to die daily (purposes for invitation) - the church should offer an invitation for the believer to repent of his pride.[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes - you can do that in your chair, your sofa or your bathroom.  Yes - there are many showboat Christians who misuse the altar.  Yes - many pastors view their greatness by how many people "responded."

However - properly used as:
  • An opportunity to ask a group leader for further explanation, prayer or consoling
  • An opportunity to immediately respond to the truth that had been presented
  • A place to pour out your heart to God in expression of humility
  • A time for the believer to sacrifice his will to God's
  • A time for the believer to "die daily"
  • An acknowledgement that no one in the church "has it all together," but that each of us are struggling and in the process of sanctification
the altar and the invitation for the saint to personally do each or one of these actions at the altar, is a significant portion of the church service.
[/quote]

And this cannot be done from your chair why? I mean...sure....you cannot draw attention to yourself by doing it from your chair, so that might be a problem for some.