Are you in the 4%?

SwampHag

Elect
Reaction score
One of my friends posted today that only 4% of American churches have a Sunday night service....

Are you in that 4%?

Just curious here. 

Too many other church things going on to have a service.  ;)

We still have them...we are the only church in our community that still does.  And, hey...we're SBC!

SwampHag said:
One of my friends posted today that only 4% of American churches have a Sunday night service....

Are you in that 4%?

Just curious here.

Any idea where he sourced that?

Yes, we do.

Even on Super Bowl Sunday.

And Christmas too.

Tom Brennan said:
SwampHag said:

Are you in that 4%?

Just curious here.

Any idea where he sourced that?

I am not sure where the information came from...but over all in churches it would not surprise me about the 4%.  I know its anecdotal...but out of 20+ churches in our community we are the only one that has Sunday PM service...I see this consistent across the board in even the large cities like Phoenix and Mesa around us.

Canceled 'em a year ago. Since only about 20 people were coming in the end, obviously we didn't need 'em.

Ransom said:
Canceled 'em a year ago. Since only about 20 people were coming in the end, obviously we didn't need 'em.

Are you being serious or facetious here?

Tom Brennan said:

I'm being serious. The people who used to attend our evening church services are adults, and so I consider them competent to assess their own spiritual needs and act accordingly.

Ransom said:
Tom Brennan said:

I'm being serious. The people who used to attend our evening church services are adults, and so I consider them competent to assess their own spiritual needs and act accordingly.

So if a sound, Bible-preaching church in your neighborhood gets down to only 20 people the neighborhood doesn't need it anymore? You can try to isolate the logic of your statement to only a service but it won't remain in such confinement...

Tom Brennan said:
So if a sound, Bible-preaching church in your neighborhood gets down to only 20 people the neighborhood doesn't need it anymore?

One, the church isn't closing. It reduced the total amount of time that it was open, nothing more.

Two, that's 20 people out of the 2,400 that we get regularly on Sunday mornings.

Three, who do you think you are to dictate to my home congregation what their spiritual needs are? Turn the conceit down a few notches.

We were involved in a church plant from 2003 to 2010. We did not have Sunday Evening services.

Now that we are in a different church, in the deep South, we don't have a service on Sunday Evening. There is a rather large bible study group, but that is on a semester basis. I don't go to that.

Since the intrigue of Edison's lightbulb has waned, so has the Sunday evening service.

No Sunday Night service?

Where does the night bus come from and go to?

How do all the "faithful" get all the good, loud, glory spout slobbery, political stuff that the Sunday morning crowd can't handle?

:eek:

It seems rather hypocritical on the part of IFBs to bemoan not having a Sunday evening service.

You must take into consideration whether or not the assembly is meeting the needs of the body. More services does not make one more spiritual.

I list below the service times of one of our local Catholic Churches.

They have far more services in a week and on a Sunday than do any IFB assembly with which I am familiar.

These are the full liturgical services including Eucharist. They would be equivalent to an IFB main service with offering. These are not Sunday Schools, Bible studies or training unions. These are extra and not listed here.

For the weekend they list 4 main services and no Sunday evening service.

There are also 4 more full liturgical services with Eucharist during the week.

This is a total of 8 to most IFBs 2 or 3.

I do not advocate for fewer services. I would advocate for having all services in a short 5 hour block.

Our Spanish Church has 2 main services between 9 and 2 with no evening service.

I would like to see us move that direction too, not just because the Catholics do it, but because it makes sense.

I do not believe more services makes one more spiritual, the Catholics take the lead in numbers.

http://www.stjohnparish.org/parishioners.php
Tuesday at 5:30 pm (Church); Wed, Thur & Friday at 8:30 am (Day Chapel)
Saturday at 5:00 pm (Church); Sunday at 7:30 am, 9:30 am & 11:30 am (Church

FSSL said:
We were involved in a church plant from 2003 to 2010. We did not have Sunday Evening services.

Now that we are in a different church, in the deep South, we don't have a service on Sunday Evening. There is a rather large bible study group, but that is on a semester basis. I don't go to that.

Since the intrigue of Edison's lightbulb has waned, so has the Sunday evening service.

I Knew it! That dang lightbulb was a creation of the illuminati!
or was it the opposite  ???
Is this another chicken and egg thing going on here ?

Ransom said:
Tom Brennan said:

So the 20 or so who hunger for the Word really just ain't all that important?

bgwilkinson said:
It seems rather hypothetical on the part of IFBs to bemoan not having a Sunday evening service.

You must take into consideration whether or not the assembly is meeting the needs of the body. More services does not make one more spiritual.

I list below the service times of one of our local Catholic Churches.

They have far more services in a week and on a Sunday than do any IFB assembly with which I am familiar.

These are the full liturgical services including Eucharist. They would be equivalent to an IFB main service with offering. These are not Sunday Schools, Bible studies or training unions. These are extra and not listed here.

For the weekend they list 4 main services and no Sunday evening service.

There are also 4 more full liturgical services with Eucharist during the week.

This is a total of 8 to most IFBs 2 or 3.

I do not advocate for fewer services. I would advocate for having all services in a short 5 hour block.

Our Spanish Church has 2 main services between 9 and 2 with no evening service.

I would like to see us move that direction too, not just because the Catholics do it, but because it makes sense.

I do not believe more services makes one more spiritual, the Catholics take the lead in numbers.

http://www.stjohnparish.org/parishioners.php
Tuesday at 5:30 pm (Church); Wed, Thur & Friday at 8:30 am (Day Chapel)
Saturday at 5:00 pm (Church); Sunday at 7:30 am, 9:30 am & 11:30 am (Church

The Catholics preach a works salvation, so why would you compare them to your church that "PREACHES" the gospel? 

If they met once a week it still would not help them because they are preaching a false gospel.  So, are they really even being fed the Word of God? No, they are not. 

Assuming your pastor is feeding the congregation if you continue to me twice on Sunday, makes since. 

Catholics, no, why? false gospel.  Again, why would you compare a false religion to yours?