Attendance at IFB colleges (2016)

bgwilkinson said:
deertracks said:
bgwilkinson said:
Tom Brennan said:
bgwilkinson said:
I think they may call this whistling past the graveyard.

For the last 30 years during HAC deacons meetings we were told that attendance was up from the previous year.
The reality was that the attendance was on a continual downw
What is the problem with just telling the truth?
This seems to be a common affliction among the IFB brethren.

It is very hard to give IFB types any credibility.

Nothing has changed from the 70s.

Grace is just one more example of spinning the truth into a lie.

You cannot know that, and for you to so blatantly and carelessly accuse a brother in Christ of such is reprehensible. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

You are dead wrong.

I've been there dozens of times since they first opened.
They are on the same downward tragectory as HAC.
You protest too much.

Me too BG. I have been there as much as you. I believe he was quoted as they are having a large increase in the fall semester. What can be so untrue about that. There numbers had taken a big hit of which one reason was your former pastor and they are slowly coming back. Not a big fan but I believe you are wrong in your characterization.

The op had

"Grace Baptist College, Gaylord, MI - From Sword of the Lord, 06/02 2017 - Shelton Smith preached the graduation with ten graduates and "Bro. Jenkins announced that they will have the largest incoming group of freshmen in September that they have had in several years."

In my opinion this is positive spin that paints a picture that does not include all the pertinent information regarding the overall decline in IFB colleges.
It is the same type of spin the deacons have gotten from HAC since the 80s.
Preachers tend to yuck it up at preaching meetings about the positive aspects while completely ignoring the facts.
This is the opposite of a prospectus which is used in business where dishonesty can have negative consequences to the corporate officers. Preachers do not normally give the whole truth when it makes them look bad.

So BG  would it have been better to say we have had a reduction in our incoming freshman classes for several years and now we have a large increase for 2017. Should he have discussed " all the pertinent information regarding the overall decline in IFB schools" while making the statement?  Good grief you're distain for what you supported in the past is giving you a very unbalanced expectation

bgwilkinson said:
For the last 30 years during HAC deacons meetings we were told that attendance was up from the previous year.
The reality was that the attendance was on a continual downward trend.
What has changed since the 70's is an old man who once was a Fundamental Baptist is no longer. He once was a deacon of one of the largest and well know Independent Baptist Churches in America and supported everything they did. For many many years BG supported or at least sat silently in the meetings when decisions were made and plans were discussed. Somewhere along the line he got his feelings hurt and kazam, he now disagrees and has a hatred for everything IFB.

Pastor Jenkins always promotes his college as a small school in the northern part of Michigan. He says they don't have many of the things the larger schools have, but he does promise the teachers and staff will know and spend time with every student. He says it may not be the right school for everyone, but it might be the type of school your looking for.
I've never heard him brag or exaggerate about their number or facilities. Last fall I recall hearing him online say, they were downsizing their buildings and combining all their ministries on one piece of property. That does not sound like bragging to me.

Not sure where your anger and bitterness comes from but I would suggest it's not good for and old man you age. I would suggest getting some help.

sword said:
bgwilkinson said:
The reality was that the attendance was on a continual downward trend.
What has changed since the 70's is an old man who once was a Fundamental Baptist is no longer. He once was a deacon of one of the largest and well know Independent Baptist Churches in America and supported everything they did. For many many years BG supported or at least sat silently in the meetings when decisions were made and plans were discussed. Somewhere along the line he got his feelings hurt and kazam, he now disagrees and has a hatred for everything IFB.

Pastor Jenkins always promotes his college as a small school in the northern part of Michigan. He says they don't have many of the things the larger schools have, but he does promise the teachers and staff will know and spend time with every student. He says it may not be the right school for everyone, but it might be the type of school your looking for.
I've never heard him brag or exaggerate about their number or facilities. Last fall I recall hearing him online say, they were downsizing their buildings and combining all their ministries on one piece of property. That does not sound like bragging to me.

Not sure where your anger and bitterness comes from but I would suggest it's not good for and old man you age. I would suggest getting some help.

Typical retorts.

He's bitter. He's angry. He got his feelings hurt.

The only reasons anyone could say anything critical of anything IFB.

BG does make a valid point.

I am not commenting on any of the other posts in this thread but I will tell you this:

For a little over a year I have been following a lot of the ifb evangelists, well known speakers, pastors, etc. and nearly every one of them has the same kind of score card every week. Church was packed, altars filled, decisions made, people saved, people baptized, God showed up, etc. With this kind of results I sure don't know why any of these colleges should be wanting for students. There seems to be something deceptive and not right about all of this reporting.

BALAAM said:
I am not commenting on any of the other posts in this thread but I will tell you this:

For a little over a year I have been following a lot of the ifb evangelists, well known speakers, pastors, etc. and nearly every one of them has the same kind of score card every week. Church was packed, altars filled, decisions made, people saved, people baptized, God showed up, etc. With this kind of results I sure don't know why any of these colleges should be wanting for students. There seems to be something deceptive and not right about all of this reporting.

Two things:
Fake it till you make it. Preeeeechers lie all the time.......especially about attendance and offerings.
Same old lie that the IFB is growing.