ATTENTION: An announcement for all IFB everywhere...

RAIDER said:
Tom Brennan said:
For about six or seven years now I've felt homeless, so to speak, not being able to identify or buy in with any one particular man/college/group. I'm starting to think that isn't a bad thing, but a good thing...

Tom, you are not alone in this.  I have two very close pastor friends that have called me and voiced the same thing.

Amazing statements. Almost feel like we should start a support group. But, in reality maybe we are having a reality check and determining the essintials!

Baptist City Holdout said:
RAIDER said:
Tom Brennan said:
For about six or seven years now I've felt homeless, so to speak, not being able to identify or buy in with any one particular man/college/group. I'm starting to think that isn't a bad thing, but a good thing...

Tom, you are not alone in this.  I have two very close pastor friends that have called me and voiced the same thing.

Amazing statements. Almost feel like we should start a support group. But, in reality maybe we are having a reality check and determining the essintials!

It seems to me that pastors have had their identity for years at FBC Hammond.  Now that that isn't an option they feel alone.

Maybe if they understood their identity in Christ, they wouldn't feel orphaned.

Mathew Ward said:
RAIDER said:
Tom Brennan said:

It seems to me that pastors have had their identity for years at FBC Hammond.  Now that that isn't an option they feel alone.

I think you are correct.  Pastor's School was always a place of identity. 

Think of him what you will, but I remember Jon Jenkins saying from the pulpit at PS in the mid 2000's decade..... something to the effect of, maybe for one Pastors' School we should all just come together and pray. Summarizing.... the attendance would be down because people would say, Bro. Jenkins we can do that at home. His answer was, why don't you do it at home. I don't know that he was driving the point of this thread home, but it seems he was getting at, "What is our purpose of getting together?"

Two of my favorite PS were '07 - Prayer and '08 - If I Be Liftes Up. It's just my view, but it seems the mesage didn't take. It still all seemed about the vendors tables, what they had to sell, personalities, cozying up witht he big shots.

I could have been on a roller coaster of emotion, but by time '11 came along - Great theme - About the Cross, with all the trappings and just the frenzy of a conference, I didn't know if I would came back for a while. There or anywhere. Afterwords there was to be a "Mega Conference" in fall of '13 - PS was over. Never had any interest in the Mega thing. ten with the debacle the Mega thing capsized.

Now that Wilkerson is there, maybe the focus has changed, I don't know. Don't want to sound uppity, but for a while the best conference a guy can attend is one with God!

Think of him what you will, but I remember Jon Jenkins saying from the pulpit at PS in the mid 2000's decade..... something to the effect of, maybe for one Pastors' School we should all just come together and pray. Summarizing.... the attendance would be down because people would say, Bro. Jenkins we can do that at home. His answer was, why don't you do it at home. I don't know that he was driving the point of this thread home, but it seems he was getting at, "What is our purpose of getting together?"

Two of my favorite PS were '07 - Prayer and '08 - If I Be Liftes Up. It's just my view, but it seems the mesage didn't take. It still all seemed about the vendors tables, what they had to sell, personalities, cozying up witht he big shots.

I could have been on a roller coaster of emotion, but by time '11 came along - Great theme - About the Cross, with all the trappings and just the frenzy of a conference, I didn't know if I would came back for a while. There or anywhere. Afterwords there was to be a "Mega Conference" in fall of '13 - PS was over. Never had any interest in the Mega thing. ten with the debacle the Mega thing capsized.

Now that Wilkerson is there, maybe the focus has changed, I don't know. Don't want to sound uppity, but for a while the best conference a guy can attend is one with God!

I believe you and I met in the hall during one of those PS!

RAIDER said:

I joined the .com FFF in '08 and there was a full year till we met. Must have been '09. That was a power-packed sermon you delivered that night......... in the hallway.
I believe you and I met in the hall during one of those PS!

Agreed. 2007 on prayer was the last decent one. 2008 was the last one I went to. It was so bad I stopped going - after, what, 26 straight years? I was fed up at that point...

Mathew Ward said:

I get your point, but I don't think it is actually accurate. There is a natural tendency to want to be with others who think/believe/feel like you do. We used to be able to do that. I don't know where to go to do that anymore. Either I've changed, or matured, or compromised, or grown, or everybody else has done one of those.

I do not want to be an isolationist. I want to fellowship with God's people. I want to enjoy the friendship of other preachers. I want to sit down and be taught something balanced, scriptural, and helpful to my ministry. I want to sing with hundreds of men. I want to laugh and love and reconnect.

...and I can't.

I'm rather secure in my relationship with Christ (and I say that with care) and have been for 27 years. I know more about why I believe what I believe than I ever have. I'm just lonely.

...and, as I said, maybe that is a good thing.

Tom Brennan said:
Mathew Ward said:

I get your point, but I don't think it is actually accurate. There is a natural tendency to want to be with others who think/believe/feel like you do. We used to be able to do that. I don't know where to go to do that anymore. Either I've changed, or matured, or compromised, or grown, or everybody else has done one of those.

I do not want to be an isolationist. I want to fellowship with God's people. I want to enjoy the friendship of other preachers. I want to sit down and be taught something balanced, scriptural, and helpful to my ministry. I want to sing with hundreds of men. I want to laugh and love and reconnect.

...and I can't.

I'm rather secure in my relationship with Christ (and I say that with care) and have been for 27 years. I know more about why I believe what I believe than I ever have. I'm just lonely.

I am sure in the Chicago area there are a whole host of other preachers to fellowship with, but the doctrine of isolationism from Hammond most likely keeps you from fellowship.

Tom Brennan said: I do not want to be an isolationist. I want to fellowship with God's people. I want to enjoy the friendship of other preachers. I want to sit down and be taught something balanced, scriptural, and helpful to my ministry. I want to sing with hundreds of men. I want to laugh and love and reconnect.

Sounds Divine! In Heaven one day...!  :)

Tom Brennan said:
Mathew Ward said:

...and I can't.

http://t4g.org/

I think you would rather enjoy a conference like the one above. And there is no sense in having an Elijah complex, as there have got to be plenty of good solid pastors that you could have fellowship with in the greater Chicagoland area (even if you have to step out of the box a bit). It seems that perhaps it's not a matter of " I can't have fellowship", and more that you "won't" have it. Just an honest observation...

freelance_christian said:

I think you would rather enjoy a conference like the one above. And there is no sense in having an Elijah complex, as there have got to be plenty of good solid pastors that you could have fellowship with in the greater Chicagoland area (even if you have to step out of the box a bit). It seems that perhaps it's not a matter of " I can't have fellowship", and more that you "won't" have it. Just an honest observation...

You're right. On those terms, I don't want it. I realize the majority of pastors would look at that sentence and just shake their heads, but that's ok, I'm used to it.  :)

Mathew Ward said:
RAIDER said:
Tom Brennan said:

Dr. Hyles used to say be loyal to principals not places or people. Not sure many fully grasped that idea.

Regarding our identity;

When the only college you recommend is Hyles Anderson …
When the only major youth conference you attend is in Hammond …
When the only missionaries you support are from FBMI …
When your vacation every year is to mecca (Hammond) for PS …
When all your guest preachers & speakers are all from FBCH or HAC …
When your church staff are all HAC graduates …
When your church organization, policies & rules originated in Hammond …
When your sundayschool lessons & sermons originated in Hammond ...

You might have an identity problem as Tom & Matt have pointed out.

Tom Brennan said:
Mathew Ward said:

...and I can't.

Yep. 

I have been blessed with some close friends who are pastors.  We fish or hunt together, eat and fellowship from time to time.  That to me is better than a trip anywhere for a week.

Also, guys our age can invest in young struggling pastors -- not some mentor thing, but just being a real friend.  A day spent with a young man, driving to his town, visiting some with him while your wife takes his out for dinner.  Bring a baby sitter for her kids.  Leave them some $.  Good stuff. 

I know there will always be haters, but Trieber's Pastors Conf is about as close to any to an old anointed Hammond PS from the early days.  And there are a LOT of our generation guys that are showing up to it.  I go about every three years. 

freelance_christian said:
Tom Brennan said:
Mathew Ward said:

...and I can't.

I would love to attend a conference like that.
I like some of the speakers more than others, but all in all a good opportunity.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but in the 2 plus years I've been associated with the SBC, I have attended some of the best conferences and learning opportunities I've experienced in a long while. All with no strings or peer pressure involved!

Tarheel Baptist said:
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but in the 2 plus years I've been associated with the SBC, I have attended some of the best conferences and learning opportunities I've experienced in a long while. All with no strings or peer pressure involved!

Well, you did.  You beat the dead horse.  I guess you think the SBC is dead and needs to be beaten?  :eek:

Frag said:
Tom Brennan said:
Mathew Ward said:

...and I can't.

Yep. 

I have been blessed with some close friends who are pastors.  We fish or hunt together, eat and fellowship from time to time.  That to me is better than a trip anywhere for a week.

Also, guys our age can invest in young struggling pastors -- not some mentor thing, but just being a real friend.  A day spent with a young man, driving to his town, visiting some with him while your wife takes his out for dinner.  Bring a baby sitter for her kids.  Leave them some $.  Good stuff.

Frag, I don't want you to get a big head but sometimes you make some real sense and you are even likeable! :) You and I would probably even enjoy a trip together with Phil Robertson!

Frag said:
Tom Brennan said:
Mathew Ward said:

...and I can't.

Yep. 

That would be a great blessing to so many of us.  To have an older pastor as a friend to care for us - what an idea!

By the way, the same goes for the laymen and assistant pastors.  We grow weary of the pastor only caring about impressing other pastors and never tending to his own flock.