ATTENTION: An announcement for all IFB everywhere...

Tom Brennan said:
freelance_christian said:
http://t4g.org/

I think you would rather enjoy a conference like the one above. And there is no sense in having an Elijah complex, as there have got to be plenty of good solid pastors that you could have fellowship with in the greater Chicagoland area (even if you have to step out of the box a bit). It seems that perhaps it's not a matter of " I can't have fellowship", and more that you "won't" have it. Just an honest observation...

You're right. On those terms, I don't want it. I realize the majority of pastors would look at that sentence and just shake their heads, but that's ok, I'm used to it.  :)

Well, if you are going to isolate yourself, then I guess you know to expect ministerial loneliness.  :)

Tarheel Baptist said:
Tom Brennan said:
Mathew Ward said:
It seems to me that pastors have had their identity for years at FBC Hammond.  Now that that isn't an option they feel alone.

Maybe if they understood their identity in Christ, they wouldn't feel orphaned.

I get your point, but I don't think it is actually accurate. There is a natural tendency to want to be with others who think/believe/feel like you do. We used to be able to do that. I don't know where to go to do that anymore. Either I've changed, or matured, or compromised, or grown, or everybody else has done one of those.

I do not want to be an isolationist. I want to fellowship with God's people. I want to enjoy the friendship of other preachers. I want to sit down and be taught something balanced, scriptural, and helpful to my ministry. I want to sing with hundreds of men. I want to laugh and love and reconnect.

...and I can't.

I'm rather secure in my relationship with Christ (and I say that with care) and have been for 27 years. I know more about why I believe what I believe than I ever have. I'm just lonely.

...and, as I said, maybe that is a good thing.

I think you would rather enjoy a conference like the one above. And there is no sense in having an Elijah complex, as there have got to be plenty of good solid pastors that you could have fellowship with in the greater Chicagoland area (even if you have to step out of the box a bit). It seems that perhaps it's not a matter of " I can't have fellowship", and more that you "won't" have it. Just an honest observation...

I would love to attend a conference like that.
I like some of the speakers more than others, but all in all a good opportunity.

They even cater to the conservative crowd with the music, from what I have been told.

Tarheel Baptist said:
I don't want to beat a dead horse, but in the 2 plus years I've been associated with the SBC, I have attended some of the best conferences and learning opportunities I've experienced in a long while. All with no strings or peer pressure involved!

Drop the stick, and back away from the dead mule.....er, I mean horse....

BALAAM said:
Frag, I don't want you to get a big head but sometimes you make some real sense and you are even likeable! :) You and I would probably even enjoy a trip together with Phil Robertson!

Too funny...I'm up for it!  As long as the trip in not to some pastor's conference.... :eek:

Tarheel Baptist said:
Tom Brennan said:
Mathew Ward said:
It seems to me that pastors have had their identity for years at FBC Hammond.  Now that that isn't an option they feel alone.

Maybe if they understood their identity in Christ, they wouldn't feel orphaned.

I get your point, but I don't think it is actually accurate. There is a natural tendency to want to be with others who think/believe/feel like you do. We used to be able to do that. I don't know where to go to do that anymore. Either I've changed, or matured, or compromised, or grown, or everybody else has done one of those.

I do not want to be an isolationist. I want to fellowship with God's people. I want to enjoy the friendship of other preachers. I want to sit down and be taught something balanced, scriptural, and helpful to my ministry. I want to sing with hundreds of men. I want to laugh and love and reconnect.

...and I can't.

I'm rather secure in my relationship with Christ (and I say that with care) and have been for 27 years. I know more about why I believe what I believe than I ever have. I'm just lonely.

...and, as I said, maybe that is a good thing.

I would love to attend a conference like that.
I like some of the speakers more than others, but all in all a good opportunity.

They even cater to the conservative crowd with the music, from what I have been told.

Nearly 8,000 in attendance.