Be in prayer for Warren family...

Just John

Elect
Reaction score
Whether you like or agree with Rick Warren you might pray for his family. I learned this morning his youngest son has taken his life. He has had bouts with mental illness much of his life.

My prayers are for this dear family!! We are about to get hit hard with the funds being taken from mental health ...this is such a needed tool in helping ....

To my dear staff,

Over the past 33 years we’ve been together through every kind of crisis. Kay and I’ve been privileged to hold your hands as you faced a crisis or loss, stand with you at gravesides, and prayed for you when ill.  Today, we need your prayer for us.

No words can express the anguished grief we feel right now. Our youngest son, Matthew, age 27, and a lifelong member of Saddleback, died today.

You who watched Matthew grow up knew he was an incredibly kind, gentle, and compassionate man. He had a brilliant intellect and a gift for sensing who was most in pain or most uncomfortable  in a room. He’d then make a bee-line to that person to engage and encourage them. 

But only those closest knew that he struggled from birth with mental illness, dark holes of depression, and even suicidal thoughts. In spite of America’s best doctors, meds, counselors, and prayers for healing, the torture of mental illness never subsided. Today, after a fun evening together with Kay and me, in a momentary wave of despair at his home, he took his life.

Kay and I often marveled at his courage to keep moving in spite of relentless pain. I’ll never forget how, many years ago, after another approach had failed to give relief, Matthew said “ Dad, I know I’m going to heaven. Why can’t I just die and end this pain?” but he kept going for another decade.

Thank you for your love and prayers.  We love you back.

Rick and Kay

I quote this email as just yesterday someone mentioned that all depression and anxiety were a result of sin and any psychology was a sham. I knew this young man when he was younger. He was a good kid. He struggled with mental health problems very early in life. He was treated medically, with therapy and prayer for healing yet still took his life. Does that negate therapy? Does that negate prayer? Does it negate God's sovereignty? No.

May the Lord grant them His peace and grace, and through this draw some to Himself.

I just came from the funeral of a man who took his own life last week. His step-son works for us in our business. I never met the man but he left behind a grieving wife and family.  He was in his mid-fifties and five years ago lost his business. Since that time every time he thought he had something going it would fall through. He was working on some type of project for two years  now that he was sure was going to be successful and whatever it was fell through last week. They were about to lose their house and he had a very large life insurance policy and he thought it was better for his family to die than to keep living. He was a christian man but I guess the load was too much.

I can't even begin to imagine the despair of brother Warren. 

Praying.

So sad for anyone to lose a child.  Mental health is such a fragile thing and hard for the entire family to deal with. Praying for the Warren family. 

Just John said:
Whether you like or agree with Rick Warren you might pray for his family. I learned this morning his youngest son has taken his life. He has had bouts with mental illness much of his life.
already today I have Unfollowed three people on twitter that have used this tragedy to take swipes at RW teaching.

JUDE 22 some have compassion.

OZZY said:
Just John said:
already today I have Unfollowed three people on twitter that have used this tragedy to take swipes at RW teaching.

JUDE 22 some have compassion.

Thank you, OZZY.  Christians should not use this tragedy to to criticize Rick Warren's ministry.  The appropriate response is for us to wrap that family up in a whole bunch of agape love. 

I consider Warren a believer and, therefore, a brother in Christ, as I do Billy Graham and many others with whom I may disagree on some very important points.  My heart absolutely hurts for Warren and his family in this tragic loss.  And as I would for any fellow brother in Christ I pray for an unfathomable comfort of the Holy Spirit to him and all that have been affected by this tragedy. 

I am not a fan of warren's philosophy in ministry or inclusion of all religion to one faith.

However, losing a loved one to suicide hurts deeply and we can pray for a hurting family.

So sad for these friends of Balaam also.

I hope he and his wife can be somewhat comforted, despite this horrific tragedy. I'll be praying.

If he's saved, then they should see him again someday.

Just John said:
To my dear staff,

Over the past 33 years we’ve been together through every kind of crisis. Kay and I’ve been privileged to hold your hands as you faced a crisis or loss, stand with you at gravesides, and prayed for you when ill.  Today, we need your prayer for us.

No words can express the anguished grief we feel right now. Our youngest son, Matthew, age 27, and a lifelong member of Saddleback, died today.

You who watched Matthew grow up knew he was an incredibly kind, gentle, and compassionate man. He had a brilliant intellect and a gift for sensing who was most in pain or most uncomfortable  in a room. He’d then make a bee-line to that person to engage and encourage them. 

But only those closest knew that he struggled from birth with mental illness, dark holes of depression, and even suicidal thoughts. In spite of America’s best doctors, meds, counselors, and prayers for healing, the torture of mental illness never subsided. Today, after a fun evening together with Kay and me, in a momentary wave of despair at his home, he took his life.

Kay and I often marveled at his courage to keep moving in spite of relentless pain. I’ll never forget how, many years ago, after another approach had failed to give relief, Matthew said “ Dad, I know I’m going to heaven. Why can’t I just die and end this pain?” but he kept going for another decade.

Thank you for your love and prayers.  We love you back.

Rick and Kay

I quote this email as just yesterday someone mentioned that all depression and anxiety were a result of sin and any psychology was a sham. I knew this young man when he was younger. He was a good kid. He struggled with mental health problems very early in life. He was treated medically, with therapy and prayer for healing yet still took his life. Does that negate therapy? Does that negate prayer? Does it negate God's sovereignty? No.

I have a brother who's had mental illness since he was a kid - he was diagnosed with schizophrenia at age 15. He's now almost 40. One thing that keeps him going is humor. That's one thing that we can't downplay. His psychiatrist isn't helping him much either - he's a real pain in the you know what - no sense of humor really.

May God's loving presence and grace be with this family!

Our family has been touched by loss due to suicide.  Praying....

I can only begin to imagine the heartache they must be experiencing.
I pray for them and the church family.