Be not drunken

No...
Someone in need of such drugs has a physiological condition. In fact, I would go so far as to say that such a person OUGHT to be taking such a drug in order to function.

Drugs such as Xanax, which is used to treat anxiety or panic disorders can be dangerous or addictive. So care ought to be taken in prescribing so as to maximize it's therapeutic potential without the patient becoming hooked on it.

If someone is going to rail from the pulpit about these drugs, accusing legitimate users of sinful drunkenness, I would call into question their understanding and compassion.

Last edited:
I have a close family member who has anxiety and her drug of choice is wine. During the day, she's functionable. But by 6:00 at night, she has to have her wine. By 7:00 "it's taken its effect". Is that then, ok for her instead of Xanax, since it calms her and allows her not to go bonkers?

What’s the backstory for this?

i always wondered what was in english tea.... that englishmen always had to have at a certain time of day... and would get t-totally cranky if they couldn;t have it..... 🧐 ...

I have a close family member who has anxiety and her drug of choice is wine. During the day, she's functionable. But by 6:00 at night, she has to have her wine. By 7:00 "it's taken its effect". Is that then, ok for her instead of Xanax, since it calms her and allows her not to go bonkers?
Paul told Timothy to self-medicate with wine. :)

No...
Someone in need of such drugs has a physiological condition. In fact, I would go so far as to say that such a person OUGHT to be taking such a drug in order to function.

Drugs such as Xanax, which is used to treat anxiety or panic disorders can be dangerous or addictive. So care ought to be taken in prescribing so as to maximize it's therapeutic potential without the patient becoming hooked on it.

If someone is going to rail from the pulpit about these drugs, accusing legitimate users of sinful drunkenness, I would call into question their understanding and compassion.
I have had to take alprazolam, a generic of Xanax, for many years because of my bilateral Menieres. It's not as effective as it used to be. I only take it when necessary. I also take opioids for pain management. My body burns those off fairly quickly. I've never been addicted. I stopped both types of meds for over 3 years, until my quality of life had sufficiently diminished to nearly nothing. I've been back on the opioids for nearly six months now. Strange to say the least.