Being called Brother

Techmedic

Elect
Reaction score
I have noticed that in IFB churches they say this is Brother Joe and that over there is Brother Tom, and that guy over there is Joe... Why is there this distinction? Is being called Brother like in the Mafia... This is a fried of mine (means I alone am vouching for him and don't talk too much business around them) vs This is a friend of ours (This is saying he is a made man and anything can be talked about in front of them). I have been attending IFB for about 3 years now and was just called Brother xxxxx by the pastor, where before that he just called me by my name (same with the other church just called me by my name no Brother).

It is a reference to say that someone is saved and a brother or sister in Christ.
I.e. brother (in Christ) Joe.

However, when someone calls me, brother, I think what do u want to sell me or how much is this gonna cost me?

Gladstone said:
It is a reference to say that someone is saved and a brother or sister in Christ.
I.e. brother (in Christ) Joe.

However, when someone calls me, brother, I think what do u want to sell me or how much is this gonna cost me?

Reminds me that's what Thom K. used to say when he was hawking some deal to you.

"Brother, have I got a deal for you."

One of the You Might Be A Hacker traits was walking down the hall listening to HACkers greeting everyone with, "Hello Brother."
"Hello Brother."
"Hello Brother."
"Hello Brother."
"Hello Brother."
.....to everyone he passed.

It kind of comes in handy when you can't remember someone's name. You just say hey Brother!

It can also be used if you haven't attained the status of Honorary Doctorate needed to truly be successful in IFBdom.

I think Bill Gaither said it best:

You will notice we say "brother and sister" 'round here-
It's because we're a family, and these folks are so near;
When one has a heartache, we all share the tears,
And rejoice in each victory, In this family so dear.

I have a former pastor who called all the ladies "Sister". 

"Wellllll....hellloooo Sister!" 

Never used a first or last name...ever.  Just "Sister".

So weird....hahahahahahaha!

All my bus kids call me Brother Allen. Now even the church kids are catching on. I have no problem with it.

Allen45Fan said:
All my bus kids call me Brother Allen. Now even the church kids are catching on. I have no problem with it.
It's only a problem if you feel a conspiracy behind every door and every tree.
"They call so and so brother, but not so and so"  Why those hypocritical charlatans! :p

Yeah the bus route is the place where I see this as both originating in my life and being applied the most. As a MK, was easier for me to be brother so-and-so and my dad to be MR. so-and-so. and then in College it was because you still felt to young to be Mr. so-and-so. However I can't personally think of many times where I used it when not visiting. The main one comes to mind was one of the bus directors had the same first name as I so sometimes I called him Bro. John or Bro. Doe.

Techmedic said:
I have noticed that in IFB churches they say this is Brother Joe and that over there is Brother Tom, and that guy over there is Joe... Why is there this distinction? Is being called Brother like in the Mafia... This is a fried of mine (means I alone am vouching for him and don't talk too much business around them) vs This is a friend of ours (This is saying he is a made man and anything can be talked about in front of them). I have been attending IFB for about 3 years now and was just called Brother xxxxx by the pastor, where before that he just called me by my name (same with the other church just called me by my name no Brother).
Often, people wait until they are sure that you are claiming to be a brother, before they call you "brother".
This is typical in the Northern Churches I have been in.

I am from the way up north, and never heard the term "Brother" until I went to HAC

kaba said:
I am from the way up north, and never heard the term "Brother" until I went to HAC
I know HAC is south to you and I, but it is north for most folks.

;)