Berean Standard Bible

abcaines

Staff member
Doctor
Elect
Reaction score

I'll let you all look up the info on it...

Sources I personally trust have been very positive toward it. I use and prefer Bible Hub, the publishers of the BSB. I've examined their website and for the most part, I like their philosophy of translation and licensing.

Has anyone used it/heard about it? What think ye?

I'm sure it is a suitable translation but why do we need more and more English translations of the scriptures? Is it any better than the ESV or NASB?

I'm sure it is a suitable translation but why do we need more and more English translations of the scriptures? Is it any better than the ESV or NASB?
Probably not. However, as stated, I like their licensing philosophy [that the Scriptures should be freely available]. Does ESV, NASB or any other translations beside KJV have such open licensing?

Last edited:
The following excerpt is taken from a trusted resource, gotquestions.org. Emphasis mine.

The Berean Study Bible utilizes both “word for word” and “thought for thought” approaches in the translation process. It maintains the original gender designations in Scripture and strives to be as consistent as possible to the core meanings of the original sources.

I appreciate the fact that there are current Bible translators who are committed to preserving the Word as it was written, not trying to make it "relevant" by neutralizing gender as the NIV and others are doing.

Probably not. However, as stated, I like their licensing philosophy [that the Scriptures should be freely available]. Does ESV, NASB or any other translations beside KJV have such open licensing?
Well, certainly there's no licensing more "open" than releasing the work to the public domain. (And, yes, there are some other older translations that have fallen out of copyright.)

The typical licence for a version under copyright is to permit quoting up to 500 verses without requiring written permission. The ESV is even more permissive--Crossway has been very generous since the beginning to encourage ESV use, especially online. They allow 1,000 verses. Unless you're writing a commentary or other Bible reference, that's more than adequate for pretty much any use case.

That is a rather noble gesture TBH. Most translations require permission and will charge a licensing fee if citations go over a certain amount.

From the Berean Bible licensing page:

The Berean Bible and Majority Bible texts are officially placed into the public domain as of April 30, 2023. See terms and conditions.

Licensing is not required for any use. However, you are welcome to complete the licensing form in order to receive communications as we develop new resources.

Look here for a comparison of the Berean Bible with other translations. Berean is not too different than KJV/NKJV.

Really matters not who says it. It is a legitimate question.
And the answer is, we don't need a proliferation of English translations. Personally I think it would be better if the people producing them would direct their effort toward translating the Bible into languages that don't have one yet.

But, unlike, say, 500 years ago, we live in a well-educated and literate society where more people than ever are qualified to translate the Bible. And we live in a secular democracy where there's no king or bishop to say you can't.

Given the choice between a society with a glut of Bibles, including poor quality ones; and a society where there aren't enough Bibles and only the priests can tell you what it says and means, I'll take the former any time.

I get the notion that the English language has more than enough translations and I'm inclined to agree to a point. But I don't think we've seen another modern English translation like the BSB in a very long time. For the past 50+ years, translations have had licensing agreements for purchase which has always struck me as odd. BSB has been released as public domain within less than 10 years of publishing. I have tremendous respect for that. And it's not just a Bible translation; it is a whole system of resources that are open sourced. Download Bible Hub and you'll see what I mean.

In a bit I'll bloviate on why I think there is such a demand for English translations. So, stay tuned...

And the answer is, we don't need a proliferation of English translations. Personally I think it would be better if the people producing them would direct their effort toward translating the Bible into languages that don't have one yet.

But, unlike, say, 500 years ago, we live in a well-educated and literate society where more people than ever are qualified to translate the Bible. And we live in a secular democracy where there's no king or bishop to say you can't.

Given the choice between a society with a glut of Bibles, including poor quality ones; and a society where there aren't enough Bibles and only the priests can tell you what it says and means, I'll take the former any time.
i agree.... it was the second thing the missionaries to hawaii did when they first arrived.... (and unfortunately one of the only 2 good things they did).... first they created a written hawaiian language... ... and the second was to put together a bible in the hawaiian language, using the king james bible as a source... ..and it has not been changed since....

some might claim the hawaiian bible is flawed because of that.... but then today most hawaiians are fluent in english... so even they would say why change what is still working.... .but there are many cultures and societies not fluent in english that still do not have a bible in their own language... .and "missionaries" claiming to interpret and translate christianity for them that might be closer to one of the fringe cults or even mormons than they are christians....

Last edited: