Bernie at Liberty U!

He should be ashamed of himself.

Word is Hillary is now rethinking her invitation to speak there.  :)

They could just bring in Tony Hutson for a smaller asking price and promise Tony a free meal instead of asking Hillary to come.

Kudos to Liberty for giving a platform to one of a dissenting political view.

When I heard Bernie was there, I remembered what Bro. Hyles said in chapel shortly after Ted Kennedy was at Liberty: "Don't save a place in your Bible for Ted Kennedy to sign."

Baptist City Holdout said:
When I heard Bernie was there, I remembered what Bro. Hyles said in chapel shortly after Ted Kennedy was at Liberty: "Don't save a place in your Bible for Ted Kennedy to sign."

Falwell always challenged us (when I was a student) not to fear hearing other viewpoints and to be able to defend our convictions. And he practiced what he preached....inviting Kennedy and others to Liberty while he spoke to liberal, hostile audiences....Harvard and Yale to name two.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Baptist City Holdout said:

Falwell always challenged us (when I was a student) not to fear hearing other viewpoints and to be able to defend our convictions. And he practiced what he preached....inviting Kennedy and others to Liberty while he spoke to liberal, hostile audiences....Harvard and Yale to name two.

I agree exactly with what you are saying!

I was there when Falwell had Jesse Jackson to speak. Jackson had a works based salvation sermon and Falwell corrected him from the pulpit.

I haven't read where Falwell, jr., corrected anything.

Balance has taken the place of common sense here.

Liberty1 said:
I was there when Falwell had Jesse Jackson to speak. Jackson had a works based salvation sermon and Falwell corrected him from the pulpit.

If you haven't read it, it must not have happened.

Notwithstanding the question of whether there was anything specific that needed correcting or whether or not Jr. is obligated to do the correcting.

Liberty1 said:

Two things:

1. Bernie didn't  give a "sermon"  to a church. He made a speech to a university.

2. I would contend that much of what may have needed to be "corrected" is done daily in classrooms and many of the other convocations. 

Just John said:
Liberty1 said:

Two things:

1. Bernie didn't  give a "sermon"  to a church. He made a speech to a university.

2. I would contend that much of what may have needed to be "corrected" is done daily in classrooms and many of the other convocations. 

Liberty is unique in that it is a politically incorrect institution. Bernie Sanders has a hundred schools in the country where he would be accepted with open arms.

Liberty doesn't need to prove anything to anybody. It does need to maintain its distinguishing trait of being different from other schools. The difference, not the similarity, is what is drawing students to Liberty, and making it the largest Christian university in America.

The mindset of "balance" is an argument to make Liberty "like" other schools.

Liberty1 said:
Just John said:
Liberty1 said:

Two things:

Liberty is unique in that it is a politically incorrect institution. Bernie Sanders has a hundred schools in the country where he would be accepted with open arms.

Liberty doesn't need to prove anything to anybody. It does need to maintain its distinguishing trait of being different from other schools. The difference, not the similarity, is what is drawing students to Liberty, and making it the largest Christian university in America.

The mindset of "balance" is an argument to make Liberty "like" other schools.

I find no harm in hearing what the "other side" thinks. I also believe it is beneficial to be put in the position of having to think through and defend your own position.

Isolation from bad ideology can't stop bad ideology. Interaction and dialogue may.

Harvard, Yale and Princeton  once had rich Christian histories too. 

Just sayin'.

ALAYMAN said:

Just sayin'.

And they aren't open minded enough to let someone from Liberty speak there. So who is afraid of whom?

subllibrm said:
ALAYMAN said:

Just sayin'.

And they aren't open minded enough to let someone from Liberty speak there. So who is afraid of whom?

On the contrary, I believe Jerry Falwell Sr. spoke at all three.
If Liberty goes the way of Harvard, Yale and Princeton, it will not be the belief system of guest speakers but the belief systems of those in the administration and the classrooms.

Tarheel Baptist said:
subllibrm said:
ALAYMAN said:

Just sayin'.

On the contrary, I believe Jerry Falwell Sr. spoke at all three.
If Liberty goes the way of Harvard, Yale and Princeton, it will not be the belief system of guest speakers but the belief systems of those in the administration and the classrooms.

True dat.