Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Winchell's

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Baptist Renegade

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
We are talking about donuts in the other thread but this is the fighting forum so let's have a big FFF Bar Fight over who makes the best donuts and which donuts are of da Debil!

There was this donut shop out in Ventura, CA that seemed similar to "Fosters" but was named "Posters" for some reason and I am guessing it was a "Mom and Pop" or a spinoff of "Fosters?"

Anyway, they had some Bavarian Cream donuts that were absolutely to die for and my (now ex) wife and I would always take late night road trips out there to satisfy our cravings for them!

Donuts are of da Debil!
(but I love them)
But I have no favorite.

Winchell's is what I grew up with and they are the standard by which I judge donuts, but not even Winchell's holds a candle to a good mom and pop outfit like the one in Long Beach WA.

Any small family owned bakery in any small town in America.

Like Rise’n Roll Bakery in Schererville and Valparaiso in Indiana or old fashioned donuts on Michigan Ave in Chicago.

Last edited:
Best donut place? In the parking lot of the local baptist church after a good 3-4 inch snowfall.

😁

The patriot in me wants to say Tim's. But the truth is, there are two small gourmet donut chains in Ottawa, Maverick's and Suzy Q, both of which make a maple bacon donut capable of killing an adult human with happiness.

warning... the video in this post may not be appropriate for all viewers.... 🤮🤮🤮
i can;t honestly say where i think the best place other than dunkin to buy donuts would be...
.. but i know a place to never buy them from.... . safeway...... which after seeing this video
i think should change their name to stank-way... or risk-way... anything but safe... . this video
was shot at a safeway not far from us... . and one we have actually shopped at before...
...... .. but no more.... o_O....

Last edited:
warning... the video in this post may not be appropriate for all viewers.... 🤮🤮🤮
i can;t honestly say where i think the best place other than dunkin to buy donuts would be...
.. but i know a place to never buy them from.... . safeway...... which after seeing this video
i think should change their name to stank-way... or risk-way... anything but safe... . this video
was shot at a safeway not far from us... . and one we have actually shopped at before...
...... .. but no more.... o_O....

I also noticed in the glass of the donut case the reflection of a dog walking around.

I also noticed in the glass of the donut case the reflection of a dog walking around.
exactly... . and i was going to mention how much that irritated me too.... .. but figured i would keep that post from getting too long....:confused:. ..... few things can leave me feeling disgusted me more than dogs and other pets being being carried... trotted and otherwise brought into grocery stores and restaurants....🐕‍🦺🦮 .....they were banned in such places just a few years ago.... .... but if i had to choose between the 2 i would say rats crawling around in the donut display case is worse... .. far worse.... even worse than seeing a dog stand up on his back feet to sniff the sausages in the freezer chest.. ....:cautious: .... ...

Safeway ticks me off anyway with their "club card" gimmick.
we have been going to foodland farms now whenever we shop for perishable groceries .... ... unless my sister is going with us and then we go to whole foods... :rolleyes:. ...they have donuts and pastrys too but i have never tried them.... ....and it wasn;t just because price tag shock stopped me in my tracks every time i looked at them either... (although it did do that)... .... it was also because they had labels indicating they were "healthy" donuts and even listed some of the ingredients that did not sound donut worthy at all.. ..... i mean - who wants to eat a "healthy" donut?... ...the whole idea of eating a donut is to momentarily toss the diet out the window and indulge..... right?...... 😋....well.... .. i always thought so...... ;)

the whole idea of eating a donut is to momentarily toss the diet out the window and indulge..... right?...... 😋....well.... .. i always thought so...... ;)
You think correctly.

It's just like vegans who try to fashion whatever it is they eat into stuff that "tastes like meat".

unless my sister is going with us and then we go to whole foods... :rolleyes:.
I first heard of Whole Foods in the 90s through their radio ads. I remember thinking, "What a bunch of arrogance!" I vowed never to patronize them. A vow I have kept.

I first heard of Whole Foods in the 90s through their radio ads. I remember thinking, "What a bunch of arrogance!" I vowed never to patronize them. A vow I have kept.
several months ago whole foods handed us the most expensive single bag of groceries i ever saw in my life.... ..127 dollars and 49 cents... o_O... . specialty and exotic food items my sister wanted.... ... i carried the bag to the car just so i could say i did... . it was unreal..... .... ... of course the whole food parking lot was kinda unreal too... .. when we first drove in to it i thought for a moment we had taken a wrong turn and driven into the lot of a range rover dealership.... . they probably thought.. "there goes the neighborhood" .. seeing us drive us in with a chevy suburban....:sneaky:..

several months ago whole foods handed us the most expensive single bag of groceries i ever saw in my life.... ..127 dollars and 49 cents... o_O... . specialty and exotic food items my sister wanted.... ... i carried the bag to the car just so i could say i did... . it was unreal..... .... ... of course the whole food parking lot was kinda unreal too... .. when we first drove in to it i thought for a moment we had taken a wrong turn and driven into the lot of a range rover dealership.... . they probably thought.. "there goes the neighborhood" .. seeing us drive us in with a chevy suburban....:sneaky:..
All that "or-GIMMICK" food is very expensive.

There was this donut shop out in Ventura, CA that seemed similar to "Fosters" but was named "Posters" for some reason and I am guessing it was a "Mom and Pop" or a spinoff of "Fosters?"

Anyway, they had some Bavarian Cream donuts that were absolutely to die for and my (now ex) wife and I would always take late night road trips out there to satisfy our cravings for them!
Speaking of Fosters, the one in Lenamore, CA closed it's doors because they cn not make a profit with the new $20 an hr min. wage.

All that "or-GIMMICK" food is very expensive.
it is.... .. ...but they did have one thing once that i absolutely fell in love with.... . home made style dark chocolate embedded with honey comb.... 😋 ... and then for a while a few years back it was the only place we could find mizithra cheese... . apparently there was a world wide shortage... .. (but it;s fixed now).... ... and then when they ran out of mizithra they researched it and recommended a cheese from mexico that was similar to mizithra... ... not exactly like mizithra cheese - softer and with a milder taste.... .. but a few household members said they couldn;t tell the difference.... .......i don;t know of many other food or grocery stores that would have done that forus or even been able to.... ....... ....

one other thing we like about it is that they are the only store that has real bison steaks... 🦬... a few other places offer ground bison but when you check it out you find out it;s only a percentage of bison meat and the rest is lean beef.... almost a little too lean for something you want to make a hamburger out of....🍔

it is.... .. ...but they did have one thing once that i absolutely fell in love with.... . home made style dark chocolate embedded with honey comb.... 😋 ... and then for a while a few years back it was the only place we could find mizithra cheese... . apparently there was a world wide shortage... .. (but it;s fixed now).... ... and then when they ran out of mizithra they researched it and recommended a cheese from mexico that was similar to mizithra... ... not exactly like mizithra cheese - softer and with a milder taste.... .. but a few household members said they couldn;t tell the difference.... .......i don;t know of many other food or grocery stores that would have done that forus or even been able to.... ....... ....

one other thing we like about it is that they are the only store that has real bison steaks... 🦬... a few other places offer ground bison but when you check it out you find out it;s only a percentage of bison meat and the rest is lean beef.... almost a little too lean for something you want to make a hamburger out of....🍔
Oh yes. ALL stores will have something worth going in for. I hear ya on the dark chocolate honeycomb stuff. Sounds like something I would dig.

As for the mizithra cheese, I understand that too. Angela's employer uses that stuff and has been having trouble finding it. In fact, Angela had a dream a few weeks ago that she found some at Costco and bought up all they had and took it to work with her (because that's just the kind of person she is)😋

It sounds like the Mexican cheese they suggested is cotija. Wonderful stuff. It would work for me but it is softer and milder as you said. A mizithra purist (like Angela's boss) may not accept it.

Last edited:
Oh yes. ALL stores will have something worth going in for. I hear ya on the dark chocolate honeycomb stuff. Sounds like something I would dig.

As for the mizithra cheese, I understand that too. Angela's employer uses that stuff and has been having trouble finding it. In fact, Angela had a dream a few weeks ago that she found some at Costco and bought up all they had and took it to work with her (because that's just the kind of person she is)😋

It sounds like the Mexican cheese they suggested is cotija. Wonderful stuff. It would work for me but it is softer and milder as you said. A mizithra purist (like Angela's boss) may not accept it.
i think i;m one of those purists.... .....when it comes to mizithra it;s not only the taste but the effect
it has that makes me like it so much.... it;s one of those foods that can make some people feel better
- like a mood elevator.... and if eaten to excess can actually make them a little drunk....:sleep:... ...

in fact - legend has it that homer was on a steady diet of pasta with browned butter and mizthra cheese
the whole time he was writing the iliad... historians claim he ate nothing else during that entire time...

and that;s the way we have used it most of the time too.... (with spaghetti and browned butter ....
but i like shredding it over a plate of spaghetti and marinara/meat sauce too)
.... prior to explorers

bringing the tomato 🍅 back to the old world from the americas it was the way most people ate
spaghetti and pasta ... .(if they couldn;t make alfredo sauce or creamy clam sauce).. ;)

espaguetis-con-mantequilla-y-queso-10912.jpeg