Best Places For Books

PappaBear

Elect
Reaction score
I grew to love books at a very early age.  Some of the best places to get good volumes are garage sales and estate sales where the deceased was an active Christian.  Some occasional book sales are okay.

With the advance of technology, web sites such as Ebay and Amazon can have some great deals on used books.  I prefer Alibris.com where I recently got some great deals on used books by John Phillips (Exploring the World of the Jew and Exploring Hebrews).

When I was a teen, my pastor shared with me a newletter book sales organization that gave great deals back then on good quality books and Bibles.  It was Scripture Truth Book Company.  I signed up for the newsletter back then, and that is where I got my first copies of Wiersbe's Bible Commentary (Excellent SS lessons from his early ministry), Wilmington's Guides (prolly bought a dozen over the years), wide margin Bibles, Handfuls On Purpose, Wuest's Word Studies, and Herbert Lockyer's "All" series.  Through the years, Scripture Truth was one of my primary sources for Christian books, and being a bibliophile, I did a lot of trade with them.

Like everything else, they also established a net presence.  About 15 years ago when we made some curriculum changes for my daughter's home education, I found them to be one of the best sources for brand new home schooling books, materials and packages.  Over the years, as we dealt with them, we found that several times we even got better deals from them than by ordering direct from the publisher!  Being a confirmed cheapskate, I still most frequently buy used than brand new.  But recently I found a few things there to use for church promotion, which I would not buy used, and they still had great prices.

If any of you are like me and still enjoy a good book from time to time, you might want to give them a look.  www.scripturetruth.com  This is not an advertisement, I get nothing from it, and they certainly would have no idea who an online poster with the handle "PappaBear" would be.  But among all the others, if you are a collector of good Christian books, it is a place with which I have had experience and can feel good about suggesting for you to look at.  Enjoy.

I love to read about real people... thank you for the site

I like Abebooks.com.  You can find most any book there at excellent prices. (used)

16KJV11 said:
I like Abebooks.com.  You can find most any book there at excellent prices. (used)

Yeah, I like Abebooks, too.  They usually had my college texts at the best prices.

PappaBear said:
I grew to love books at a very early age.  Some of the best places to get good volumes are garage sales and estate sales where the deceased was an active Christian.  Some occasional book sales are okay.

With the advance of technology, web sites such as Ebay and Amazon can have some great deals on used books.  I prefer Alibris.com where I recently got some great deals on used books by John Phillips (Exploring the World of the Jew and Exploring Hebrews).

When I was a teen, my pastor shared with me a newletter book sales organization that gave great deals back then on good quality books and Bibles.  It was Scripture Truth Book Company.  I signed up for the newsletter back then, and that is where I got my first copies of Wiersbe's Bible Commentary (Excellent SS lessons from his early ministry), Wilmington's Guides (prolly bought a dozen over the years), wide margin Bibles, Handfuls On Purpose, Wuest's Word Studies, and Herbert Lockyer's "All" series.  Through the years, Scripture Truth was one of my primary sources for Christian books, and being a bibliophile, I did a lot of trade with them.

Like everything else, they also established a net presence.  About 15 years ago when we made some curriculum changes for my daughter's home education, I found them to be one of the best sources for brand new home schooling books, materials and packages.  Over the years, as we dealt with them, we found that several times we even got better deals from them than by ordering direct from the publisher!  Being a confirmed cheapskate, I still most frequently buy used than brand new.  But recently I found a few things there to use for church promotion, which I would not buy used, and they still had great prices.

If any of you are like me and still enjoy a good book from time to time, you might want to give them a look.  www.scripturetruth.com  This is not an advertisement, I get nothing from it, and they certainly would have no idea who an online poster with the handle "PappaBear" would be.  But among all the others, if you are a collector of good Christian books, it is a place with which I have had experience and can feel good about suggesting for you to look at.  Enjoy.

Been there in person a few times. A good place to visit. Once I went  and bought Boice's volumes 1 & 3  on the Psalms there for a buck a piece. Then I picked up vol. 2 at Baker's in Grand Rapids for 13 bills. 15 dollars for the set {hardbacks}. I can't complain. But I'm addicted so I can't help it.

Pappa, do you have any of Butler's books?

Bob H said:
Pappa, do you have any of Butler's books?

Uhmmmm.... I don't think so.  But which Butler are you referring to?