Billy Graham?

subllibrm

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
So what is the big deal with Billy "shudder" Graham anyway?

A former pastor of mine was banned from BJU for allowing someone who apparently had not "shuddered" enough regarding Billy Graham to speak from his pulpit.

If Billy Graham were IFB it would be "well, he has done so much for the kingdom we should just overlook all of that". And he hasn't french kissed little girls.

Weird stuff.

subllibrm said:

A former pastor of mine was banned from BJU for allowing someone who apparently had not "shuddered" enough regarding Billy Graham to speak from his pulpit.

If Billy Graham were IFB it would be "well, he has done so much for the kingdom we should just overlook all of that". And he hasn't french kissed little girls.

Weird stuff.

http://youtu.be/lCgpUPHkgc8

.tim said:
subllibrm said:

Weird stuff.

http://youtu.be/lCgpUPHkgc8

I raised three girls.

I would rather have BIlly living next door.

i was saved reading the booklet "Do You Know the Steps To Peace With God" by Billy Graham, which makes me one of his personal converts. I took his free correspondence course for new converts, which required some Scripture memorization. Those Scriptures have always stood me well.

Graham has never been caught in a scandal.

He has allowed unsaved men to sit on the platform with him. Bob Jones Sr. misapplied a verse about separating from pagan temples to require separation from Graham due to that compromise. (I do feel that Graham shouldn't have compromised like that, but I'm not separating from him over it).

Graham's "great Los Angeles Crusade" boosted him into national fame. 25 years later, EVERY one of his staff members were still with him.

And...

Billy Graham, what IFBxer big dogs wish they could be.

ChuckBob

I have sit and listened as Billy Graham poured his heart out to get people saved. I love his books....he's a wonderful example of a man of God!!

Folks, there are some deep, dark secrets that Bob Jones University and HAC don't want their students to know. Graham attended BJU for his freshman year and transferred elsewhere. BUT, Bob Jones Sr. gave him an honorary doctorate and put him on the BJU board, where he served with Jack Hyles, John R. Rice, and Bob Jones Jr.

Graham was a young, up-and-coming evangelist when John R. Rice started helping him. Graham often acknowledged Rice's help in his early years, although the two parted ways over separation. Rice printed the official biography of Bob Jones Sr., entitled Builder of Bridges. The book attacked Rice for being soft on Graham without mentioning Graham's honorary doctorate and seat on the board.

I think personally that Billy Graham is a godly man. The fact that he's been in the public eye for over 60 years without a major scandal says alot about the man.

I do however disagree with sending Catholics back to their churches and with having unsaved men such as Martin Luther King Jr and Bishop Pike on the platform at your crusades.

labaptist said:
I think personally that Billy Graham is a godly man. The fact that he's been in the public eye for over 60 years without a major scandal says alot about the man.

I do however disagree with sending Catholics back to their churches and with having unsaved men such as Martin Luther King Jr and Bishop Pike on the platform at your crusades.

Wow!  ???

Vince Massi said:
Folks, there are some deep, dark secrets that Bob Jones University and HAC don't want their students to know. Graham attended BJU for his freshman year and transferred elsewhere. BUT, Bob Jones Sr. gave him an honorary doctorate and put him on the BJU board, where he served with Jack Hyles, John R. Rice, and Bob Jones Jr.

Merciful heavens, it's Armageddon!

labaptist said:

You forgot Johnny Cash ...

Jack Hyles announced it--our goal was to have 100,000 in Sunday School on the big day. And what a day it was as the people, the facilities, and the plan collapsed under the weight of God's grace. We taught Sunday School classes in the kitchens, the hallways, the basement of the youth center, the parlor of the ladies' room, and on buses. We taught Sunday School classes in parks and anywhere we could find a crowd.

That evening, the jubilant congregation listened as Dr. Hyles read one congratulatory telegram after another. When he was done, he stared down at his podium and added "And we also received very nice telegrams from Billy Graham and Oral Roberts."

.tim said:
labaptist said:

You got something agin Johnny Cash?

ChuckBob

ChuckBob said:
.tim said:
labaptist said:

ChuckBob

Nope. Just stating another association with Billy Graham that created controversy with IFB.

labaptist said:

I don't know about unsaved men on the platform, but Christ had an unsaved disciple among the 12.

I attended a church in Florida that TB knows very well. The pastor there was anti Billy Graham, heck he was anti everybody but himself. Anyway I was young and drank the koolaid. Then I attended BJU for my freshman year. Yes I heard about Billy and BJU 1st and 2nd degrees of separation.

I know this, Billy Graham has led more people to Christ then I have, and probably lived a better Godly life then me. Second thought I know he has lived a better life then me.

I can find no fault in his life or ministry.

The Texas Baptist Convention had called for a meeting with Jack Hyles, where they offered to make him head of the state convention if he would stop preaching against modernism in their seminaries. Smashing his fist on the table, Hyles yelled "I'm not for sale!" and accidentally turned the table over. Later, he and his church were expelled from the state convention.  He told us the story more than once.

But one year, after telling the story, Hyles added that a month later, he had received a letter from Billy Graham. Graham had known about the meeting, but assured Hyles that he had nothing to do with it. He had been invited to attend, but he refused.

I was puzzled about why Billy Graham, who was not from Texas, would be invited to that meeting. Today I realize that Graham and Hyles had been friends, and Graham did not want to become enemies with Brother Hyles over separation.

.tim said:
ChuckBob said:
.tim said:
labaptist said:

ChuckBob

Nope. Just stating another association with Billy Graham that created controversy with IFB.
Billy Graham wouldn't Walk The Line?

prophet said:
.tim said:
ChuckBob said:
.tim said:
labaptist said:

ChuckBob

Billy Graham wouldn't Walk The Line?

Ha ha!  I understood that joke!  That almost never happens to me.  What a day!