Billy Graham

On November 21, 1969, I accepted Christ after attending a Billy Graham film. Dr. Graham never had a scandal and preached live (through TV and Radio) to more people than anyone else in history.
One of the secrets of fundamentalism is that Bob Jones Sr. had appointed his son (Bob Jones Jr.) , Billy Graham, Jerry Falwell, John R. Rice, and Jack Hyles to the board of Bob Jones University, and they all got along. Bob Jones University would later campaign against Graham by misapplying the Biblical command for Christians not to worship in pagan temples to Graham's fellowship with unbelievers.
Taking God's Word to be literally true, Graham's simple message was that every person needed to turn from their sins and commit themselves to Jesus Christ as Savior..

http://www.wafb.com/story/37560797/billy-grahams-casket-was-hand-built-by-inmates-at-angola

This is crowd gathered to hear Billy Graham in Times Square in 1957.

5a8ef61d1e000008087ac882.jpeg

BJU when I attended believed in 2nd degree seperation

My parents did not attend church, but they would watch Billy Graham every time he came on the tv. My father would tell people that I got "religion", but he never said that about Billy Graham.

He preached Christ and redemption and reached a lot of people who would have never heard the gospel were it not for the humble farm boy.

Tarheel knows of what I am about to say. We both were at the same church in Florida where the mention of Billy Graham was met with spiritual discomfort. From the pastor to teachers at the school.
I listened as I was a teenager and it was not until I got older when I realized how Billy Graham led more people to Jesus Christ then I could do in a 1000 lifetimes.

4everfsu said:
BJU when I attended believed in 2nd degree seperation

"Second degree separation was a phrase coined by those who did not practice primary separation"

Bob Jones Jr---"Cornbread and Caviar"

BJU would never admit to 2nd degree separation when I attended. BJ Jr was head of BJU then.
Basically first degree separation was be not unequally yoked. You could not run around with lost folks
Second degree separation was if your Christian friend ran around with lost folks you could not have fellowship with him or her.
This is what BJU used against Billy Graham at the time. He was in fellowship with BJU until his crusades and Billy had rabbis, catholic priests involved with BG city wide crusades.

"butt naked at the Judgement Seat".

http://youtu.be/lkB6ywxydf8

4everfsu said:
BJU would never admit to 2nd degree separation when I attended. BJ Jr was head of BJU then.
Basically first degree separation was be not unequally yoked. You could not run around with lost folks
Second degree separation was if your Christian friend ran around with lost folks you could not have fellowship with him or her.
This is what BJU used against Billy Graham at the time. He was in fellowship with BJU until his crusades and Billy had rabbis, catholic priests involved with BG city wide crusades.

They even separated (as well as other schools) from John MacArthur because he spoke at a Charismatic conference.

https://www.today.com/video/kathie-lee-gifford-reacts-to-death-of-prominent-pastor-billy-graham-1166462531896

Since we are posting reactions...we certainly can't do without Spamderson.

https://youtu.be/5tHqqoum0_g

T-Bone said:
Since we are posting reactions...we certainly can't do without Spamderson.

https://youtu.be/5tHqqoum0_g

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

Using Spamderson's logic, he'll be burning right next to Billy.

Spamderson's 1-2-3-pray-this-prayer "gospel" is also leading many to Hell.

4everfsu said:

None the less, it was a term coined by the neo's to use against the fundys.

I do not care what you want to call it, it was what BJU practiced when I was there.

4everfsu said:
I do not care what you want to call it, it was what BJU practiced when I was there.

True! And practiced by many other BJU sister schools.

4everfsu said:

I know some BJU grads and none of them said they couldn't "run" {your term whatever that means} with unsaved friends and/or family members and I'll believe them. And comparing that with cooperating with the eccumenical evangelism of Billy Graham is apples & oranges. As far as second degree separation goes, perhaps Billy is now having fellowship with his fellow co-workers Henry Van Dusen, John Bonnell and Bishop Gerald Kennedy to name a few among many. Perhaps we fundamentalist were wrong and Billy was  right when he believes these dudes can deny the virgin birth and deity of Christ and still be saved and we can work with them in a religious endever. Perhaps we fundys misjudged Rome and Billy when he declared one can believe Romish doctrine and be saved. Perhaps Canon 12 of the Council of Trent and keeping the sacraments trumps Eph 2:8-9. Perhaps you're right about "Second degree separation".

Bob H said:
4everfsu said:

I know some BJU grads and none of them said they couldn't "run" {your term whatever that means} with unsaved friends and/or family members and I'll believe them. And comparing that with cooperating with the eccumenical evangelism of Billy Graham is apples & oranges. As far as second degree separation goes, perhaps Billy is now having fellowship with his fellow co-workers Henry Van Dusen, John Bonnell and Bishop Gerald Kennedy to name a few among many. Perhaps we fundamentalist were wrong and Billy was  right when he believes these dudes can deny the virgin birth and deity of Christ and still be saved and we can work with them in a religious endever. Perhaps we fundys misjudged Rome and Billy when he declared one can believe Romish doctrine and be saved. Perhaps Canon 12 of the Council of Trent and keeping the sacraments trumps Eph 2:8-9. Perhaps you're right about "Second degree separation".

Jesus made it clear that unless you believe  that I am he you will die in your sins. Those who prayed a prayer to receive Christ without knowing who he is  are not saved.  The Deity of Christ is essential.  These liberals don't just not believe because they never heard of Christ they outright deny the deity of Christ. 

That is fine with your BJU friends. I was there in 1971,were they when BJ Jr said that the reason BJU had seperation from BG because of his rubbing elbows with Catholic priest, Jewish rabbis and other during his city wide meetings? That is 2nd degree separation or whatever you want to call it in practice.

Of course back then BJU was racist as they would not admit single black students. Also would not play any sports against other college, as they told me, we are not of the world.

Also you could not watch the girls play intramural sports, you know the temptation of young men lusting after women.

Maybe BJU has since then backslide and became more progressive <sarcasm>