Bob Gray Sr.

W

wmskinner

I attended Texas Baptist College for two years back in the 1990's and you know at the time the college and church ruined more lives than they helped. I remember going on bus routes and at the time they said baptize anyone whether they know what they are doing of not. They would baptize children who had no clue as to what they were doing, but it helped pump up their numbers. My girlfriend and I attended the college, when we arrived they said I could have no contact with her anymore, I couldn't even sit with her in church. We had to work long hours, and they woke us up at 5:00 a.m. every day with no regards as to the little amount of sleep we got. We were paying them our hard earned money to attend their school and that's how they treated us. It was appalling as to how we were treated. The pastor at the time belittled his congregation, he brow beat them, and treated them like cattle that were sick and diseased. Instead of helping them he cursed and treated them like animals. My girlfriend/ Fiancé came to the college and were separated as soon as we arrived, not able to talk to each other or even correspond with each other. Even my home pastor in another state said that they ruined multiple lives with the way they treat people. I loved my fiancé and we were wanting to be married, but after arriving at this college, our dreams were shattered. We wanted to be in the ministry together at one time but the college would not let us, and the pastor forbade us from seeing each other. This place was as a cult like Waco it seemed, it was over whelming. When I left I had to sneak out in the middle of the night and go to the bus station to go home to my home church and family. I tried to get my fiancé to go but the ladies had separate dormitories and get we're locked in all night long, if they tried to leave there were alarms that would go off and they were forced to go back inside and not leave. This is a cult and ie courage anyone who reads this to think twice before you send your children there. It's not a good situation for them to be in I know I've been there and lived through it all

Sorry for your ordeal, and I don't carry any brief for Gray, but you've got the wrong forum.  Look further south on for the Longview-Texas Baptist forum.

Sorry about the ordeal. 

Please don't take offense, but you might want to adopt the practice of breaking up your text into paragraphs.  More people would be likely to read it. 

Bob Gray definitely was a unique individual who "brow beated" his people.  He motivated and led by fear.

However, you should have realized what all IFB colleges are like before you attended.  Judging by the one article you have posted, your grammar is very poor - I'm guessing you had limited options for college?  The IFB colleges do put security on their dorms.  Most people are okay with security and even pay large amounts to ADT to set off alarms late at night.  Look, you went to IFB Bible college, didn't like the rules and ran away.  You did not have the courage to tell people what you thought and just leave - you fled in the middle of the night.  Your girlfriend did not follow.  Maybe because she was having second thoughts about you - Maybe she did not want a relationship that was rooted in fleeing problems in the middle of the night - Maybe she was brainwashed. 

Next time, look at the contract before you sign.

I am sorry for your ordeal and I hope you grow past this.  A little advice from an older lady--- do not let bitterness from this situation define you.  If you can grasp the fact that as an adult you chose to attend this institution and take full responsibility for it, then you will be on the way to maturity.  You recognized it was the wrong place to be and you left.  Good for you!  If you blame the college, you will find yourself immersed in self-pity for the remainder of your life. 

There are a lot of wolves out there.  You are learning to recognize them, even when they are in wooly attire.