Bondage of the will by Martin Luther

The Rogue Tomato

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I already have that version. :)

The Rogue Tomato said:
I recommend this to anyone interested in the free-will/predestination debate.  I recommend this particular translation by J.I. Packer over other versions.  Luther created a masterpiece of both content and sarcasm, and Packer captured it all in his translation.

I have this edition, though to be honest I've only read it partially. However, I've read the introduction a few times - it's one of Packer's masterpieces, and worth the price of the whole book.

Ransom said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
I recommend this to anyone interested in the free-will/predestination debate.  I recommend this particular translation by J.I. Packer over other versions.  Luther created a masterpiece of both content and sarcasm, and Packer captured it all in his translation.

I have this edition, though to be honest I've only read it partially. However, I've read the introduction a few times - it's one of Packer's masterpieces, and worth the price of the whole book.

I've read it twice.  The second time, I spotted some errors or weaknesses in his reasoning, but overall it's a well-reasoned scripturally-sound rebuke of the Erasmus diatribe on free-will.  In fact, if I were Erasmus and read that, I'd probably go into hiding out of shame. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
I've read it twice.  The second time, I spotted some errors or weaknesses in his reasoning, but overall it's a well-reasoned scripturally-sound rebuke of the Erasmus diatribe on free-will.  In fact, if I were Erasmus and read that, I'd probably go into hiding out of shame.

I just discovered that my local library has Winter's Discourse on Free Will which includes both the Diatribe and Bondage.  I've often felt that I didn't want to give Luther a thorough read until I had a chance to read Erasmus' work first, but until now I didn't realize I had access to a copy.