BOOK: The Great Evangelical Recession by John S. Dickerson

PappaBear

Elect
Reaction score
I saw an interview of the author which piqued my interest.  Have any of you read this book?  If so, was it worth the read? 

From what reviews I saw over on Amazon, and the author's interview, it appears that his bottom line is we need to enact more "cultural change" through soul winning, instead of through political action or constant negativity (being known in society for what we are against rather than what we are for). 

The whole "Moral Majority" movement was the church buying into a lie. We thought we could bring about spiritual growth/renewal via governmental intervention and control. Instead the church has been marginalized as the crazy uncle of the Republican party. I'm sure it was quite the rush to rub elbows with the high and mighty. Of course they never came through with any of the "social issue" promises because they needed to get those tax cuts and deregulation things done first. And a generation later we have gained .... what?

The American Church sold it's spiritual birthright for a bowl of political porridge.

subllibrm said:
The whole "Moral Majority" movement was the church buying into a lie. We thought we could bring about spiritual growth/renewal via governmental intervention and control. Instead the church has been marginalized as the crazy uncle of the Republican party. I'm sure it was quite the rush to rub elbows with the high and mighty. Of course they never came through with any of the "social issue" promises because they needed to get those tax cuts and deregulation things done first. And a generation later we have gained .... what?

The American Church sold it's spiritual birthright for a bowl of political porridge.
That sounds like some of what is in the book.  Did you read it?  Is it worth getting?

PappaBear said:
subllibrm said:

That sounds like some of what is in the book.  Did you read it?  Is it worth getting?

I haven't read it. Might have been able to write it though.  ;D