BREAKING: Lawsuit Filed Against DAVID HYLES, HYLES-ANDERSON COLLEGE, INC., and FBC HAMMOND, INDIANA, INC

What if the church & college admitted to the allegations and offered Joy whatever type of restitution was necessary? In what way, as a ministry, would they be worse off than if they defend themselves in the lawsuit?

What if the church & college admitted to the allegations and offered Joy whatever type of restitution was necessary? In what way, as a ministry, would they be worse off than if they defend themselves in the lawsuit?
If what she said was true, not the fornication part but the rape part then what restitution can one give that makes losing your virginity in that manner just? What is virginity worth? I guarantee you that no amount of money brings satisfaction. These are only matters in which God can bring justice and repay what was stolen. Vengeance is unsatisfying.

If what she said was true, not the fornication part but the rape part then what restitution can one give that makes losing your virginity in that manner just? What is virginity worth? I guarantee you that no amount of money brings satisfaction. These are only matters in which God can bring justice and repay what was stolen. Vengeance is unsatisfying.

My question isn't about what she wants. What should a church be willing or unwilling to do, say or give to a person who was hurt in such a way? Whether YOU think she'd be "satisfied" or not, would a ministry be worse off for offering restitution (in any form) or fighting it?

My question isn't about what she wants. What should a church be willing or unwilling to do, say or give to a person who was hurt in such a way? Whether YOU think she'd be "satisfied" or not, would a ministry be worse off for offering restitution (in any form) or fighting it?

Or even an acknowledgement and/or an apology?

We are told that it is unfair to hold FBC-Hammond legally liable for things that happened 40 years ago, because they have cleaned up their act and are no longer covering up child molestation. But have they really changed? Jerry Kaifetz does not seem to believe that. This is a recent case of cover-up, about 5 years ago.

jerrykaifetz.com/657

Link apparently does not work, but if you enter that address in your browser, it should take you directly to the article in question.

We are told that it is unfair to hold FBC-Hammond legally liable for things that happened 40 years ago, because they have cleaned up their act and are no longer covering up child molestation. But have they really changed? Jerry Kaifetz does not seem to believe that. This is a recent case of cover-up, about 5 years ago.

jerrykaifetz.com/657

Link apparently does not work, but if you enter that address in your browser, it should take you directly to the article in question.

If its Kaifetz vs Wilkerson on the facts of this matter, hmmmmmm such a tough one. /sarc

It seems to me that this would be closest to a Biblical solution.

As long as Eddie Lapina is still there...

He's been in arm's reach of almost every debacle that's happened.

Last edited:
Anyone that worked security knew the problems with dh. Hopefully she has contacted Clyde and anyone that worked security during those years....

I'm talking out loud here but I wonder if the church in Tenn did any background on dh hiring him?

[Dave Hyles' new pastor at Family Baptist Church in Columbia, Tennessee knows all about Dave's background, per this excerpt of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram article in December, 2018]:

Dave Hyles has managed to stay out of handcuffs.

Today, he runs a ministry for pastors who have fallen into sin, supported by Family Baptist Church in Columbia, Tennessee, pastored by David Baker.

In 2017, Joy Evans Ryder’s brother emailed Baker, outlining Hyles’ alleged crimes against his sister. Baker took five words to reply: “Thank you for your concern.”

Baker, a Hyles-Anderson College graduate and a military veteran, said he thinks Dave Hyles has been unfairly blamed. Hyles, Baker said, is a good man, with a strong marriage who has helped many people through his ministry.

“He’s someone who made mistakes years ago, and through that brokenness and God restoring him, wants to use what he’s been through to help others,” Baker said. “I’m not going to debate anybody about those issues.”

jerrykaifetz.com/657

Consider the source! If you knew Ginger Bane....

An organization must be able to show how they tried to prevent the abuse of children through their written policies (and following through on their policies). I saw a lawsuit dropped by lawyers (who thought they could get some quick, easy money) because the accused church had policies in place such as no one is allowed to be alone with children and youth (both a male and female must be present), windows in all the doors in the church, clearances, not allowing people to work with children for six months upon coming to the church (pedophiles won't wait that long) and education of the various policies. The change of leadership, has nothing to do with it. If my understanding is correct (he was an employee) and there is evidence to prove the charges, this church will be paying a large sum of money.

I think it's safe to say that FBC has overhauled their policies and the execution thereof.

Their current chief of security is Steve McGraw, who is also a SWAT officer in Portage, IN. He's done a good job of bring FBC into the 21st century as far as that goes.

I know for a fact that there have been several church workers and staff that have been turned over to the police for investigation in the past few years under Steve MgGraw and Pastor Wilkerson.

You may not like everything that still goes on at FBC, but I've seen the transformation in the last 7 years from what it was under Schaap, and it's a different church, for sure.

Well while dh was in Pinellas park he was involved in several things outside the church. Pastor Farris can confirm that info...saying he has a strong marriage no one knows that … I wish Joy the best!!

I know for a fact that there have been several church workers and staff that have been turned over to the police for investigation in the past few years under Steve MgGraw and Pastor Wilkerson.

For crimes committed at/through church or they had other problems and they also happen to be at church?

For crimes committed at/through church or they had other problems and they also happen to be at church?

For suspected crimes at church. Just last month a children's worker was pulled from his ministry and turned over to the police for investigation for an accusation.

There have also been several staff members publicly "let go" by Pastor Wilkerson after being caught in immorality. Like, well liked and "popular" people who would have made it really easy to look the other way.

I remember the first time I had ever been in a service at an IFB church where the pastor dealt with sin publicly and biblically, was when Pastor Wilkerson had a popular high school teacher at HB come before the church and confess that he was unfaithful to his wife. Pastor Wilkerson said something like, "He's obviously disqualified himself from his position at least for a time, but he's spent time serving our church family and now it's our turn to minister to him and his wife as best we can."

My husband and I just looked at each other dumb founded that we were sitting in First Baptist Church of Hammond, and we had just seen sin dealt with openly in front of the church for the first time. It was bizzare, in a good way.

But yeah, my point is that when people say "Pastor Wilkerson is different", it's because he really does have a no tolerance policy and that he will fire anyone no matter how long you've been here our how well liked you are, and he will do it with as much kindness and grace as possible.

The church has absolutely done the work the past few years to show that they are a totally different church that the FBC of the 80's that Joy Ryder thinks she's sueing.

Oh by the way, from what I understand, after Dave Hyles visited FBC in 2013/14 (I can't remember), apparently he was banned from church property. ? I guess they didn't want that to happen again.

"Oh by the way, from what I understand, after Dave Hyles visited FBC in 2013/14 (I can't remember), apparently he was banned from church property. ? I guess they didn't want that to happen again."

You remember this very differently than what actually happened. This is from a BGWilkinson post in 2015. Pay particular attention to point number 8.

Travel log from Dave

"A Few Thoughts Regarding Our Visit to Hammond, Indiana

A few weeks ago my mom and I were talking on the phone and she commented about how she would love to get a plane ticket and make a visit to Hammond, Indiana. She said she would love to see the beautiful colors of the Fall leaves, and to see people she loves but has not seen for a while. At 86 traveling is not easy. (It is not easy at 61.) I went online and booked three tickets and this past Thursday morning Brenda, mom and I boarded a plane and flew to Chicago's O'Hare Airport. We spent several days enjoying the beautiful weather (Mom loves Fall in the Midwest) and seeing old friends. The last time Brenda and I were there we were following a casket out of the auditorium that was carrying the body of my dad back in 2001. It was good to be back after all these years. I had so many various thoughts on this trip and I thought I would share a few with my FB friends.

1. Mom still loves FBC Hammond. I mean she REALLY loves it. She rejoices with every blessing they receive and grieves at every hurt. That is what 42 years of being the pastor's wife did. She does not feel jealousy, but only a deep love for the place and the people.

2. I believe Chicago is the greatest city in this country, even with all its flaws. Saturday we took a trip downtown. We drove along Lakeshore Drive, enjoyed seeing the quaintness of the Chicago River, walked down Michigan Avenue, gazed at the skyscrapers, went by Moody church and through the Lincoln Park area, and even took time to get a Chicago hotdog at Portillo's. (I ate 2) We had a great time. I was reminded of how much dad loved Chicago, and what a burden he had for the masses of lost souls there.

3. There are some great Christians who stayed by the stuff at FBC. We went to the rehabilitation center where Erma McKinney is staying as she recovers from 4 recent strokes. What a great lady. We spent some time at the home of Maxine Jeffries, one of my favorite people in all the world. Maxine almost died recently. We so enjoyed seeing her. We saw Terry and Anne Duff, the Knoerzer's, the Colstens, Roy and JoJo, and why did I start naming names? Let's just say we saw a host of wonderful people who loved us through the years and who we have loved as well.

4. What dad was used of God to do at FBC was truly a miracle. Thursday afternoon we drove by the church, the college, Baptist City, and the cemetery. I commented that it is amazing that when he died the church was debt free and had millions of dollars. Dad cared more about leaving the church healthy than enhancing his own legacy. It is amazing what God did there.

5. Memory Lane was one of my dad's best and most loved accomplishments. Dad truly loved the cemetery and felt it filled a missing piece for the church. He was so right. Going there and seeing the graves, not only of our son, Jack David and my dad, but of hundreds of great Christians from FBC was such an inspiration. I might add that we left feeling so much peace knowing that people like Jay and Becky Towne and David Crutchfield were there caring for the memories of our loved ones. That was one of the biggest blessings of the trip. Brenda and I had not been to Jack David's grave for almost 15 years. We were so comforted.

6. Old friends are special friends. It was so wonderful to see new friends, but it was a real blessing to see some who I have known since our elementary years at the church and others with whom we became close over the years. It was so good to see folks like Keith McKinney, Andy Andrew Briner, Ron and Lisa Judd, Jeff and Kathy Peach, Carlos and Sarah Rivera, our third daughter, Charity, Carol Frye Tudor, and oh, so many others. I cherished every old friend with whom I had the chance to shake hands or greet. There were many others I did not name, but was so happy to see.

7. Tiebels still has the best Lake Perch. Saturday evening was a treat as we went and enjoyed a meal there. Dad always loved that restaurant

8. Pastor Wilkerson seems like a genuine and caring pastor. I do not know him well, but he was gracious to me in spite of the fact that a couple of his own staff men would be displeased at him treating me like a human, Just acknowledging our presence, I am sure brought him criticism, but he was gracious anyway, and it allowed others who love us to know we were there so they could greet us. It is evident that he has won the hearts of the people and we are all pleased to see that. When he spoke about God touching his heart at the 1980 Youth Conference when the theme was 'So You Want To Be a Star" I kinda felt that was for me because I was the one who was still leading the Your Conference then.

9. I have many Facebook friends at FBC. What a delight to have so many shake hands and say, "I follow you on Facebook." Mom even commented that many told her that I had been a blessing to them and that really encouraged her heart. Thank you FBC FB friends. I wish I could have spent more time with you all. A big shout our to Darrell Imani for picking us up and taking us back to the airport.

10. Mom is an amazing Christian in her own right. I think it was amazing to see the gracefulness of my 86 year old mom in action. She is a real saint and an inspiration to so many. She is a lot of fun too. Honestly it is hard to believe she is 86. She and Brenda got to laughing at the airport and I thought I was going to have to separate them. Mom is so much fun and she really savors life.

11. God's grace really is sufficient if we allow it. I saw this from two angles on the trip. First I saw the way God has seen so many people through some very rough waters these past few years yet they have not lost their sweet spirit or their faith. FBC has suffered but God has been there for them. Secondly I saw it personally. I know there are those who did not want me there and I was stung by some things that were said to me, but God brought me many times more words of grace and encouragement from folks than words of hurt.

12. My private group FIG (Fallen IN Grace) is having an impact on many lives. So many people told us how they had been encouraged by the group and I was thrilled to know that God was allowing my failures to be used to help others.

13. It is so sweet when someone I thought may hate me shows me I am wrong. You know, it hurts when you do not know how someone you loved so deeply feels about you. Several people like that approached me and let me know they love me and that thrilled my heart.

14. Heaven really is going to be so sweet. I thought as we were leaving town of all the people I did not get to spend any time with while we were there. So many people I wish I could have seen and shared a meal with. There were so many who wished they could sit and chat a while with mom. Well, when we get to Heaven we will have plenty of time to catch up and that will be wonderful.

When mom told me she would love to visit Hammond, she said, "David, you never know when I will no longer be able to visit those I love or how many more of them will go to Heaven soon." Many have gone to Heaven since she was last there. Maybe it will be her last time to go back. I hope not. It was good to bring mom back and to visit myself. So, there are a few of my thoughts. I hope you enjoyed them." end of Dave's travel log.

Well now we know why they were here.

I couldn't help but think of this. I use it every day.

Luk 11:4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from

"Oh by the way, from what I understand, after Dave Hyles visited FBC in 2013/14 (I can't remember), apparently he was banned from church property. ? I guess they didn't want that to happen again."

You remember this very differently than what actually happened. This is from a BGWilkinson post in 2015. Pay particular attention to point number 8.

Travel log from Dave

"A Few Thoughts Regarding Our Visit to Hammond, Indiana

A few weeks ago my mom and I were talking on the phone and she commented about how she would love to get a plane ticket and make a visit to Hammond, Indiana. She said she would love to see the beautiful colors of the Fall leaves, and to see people she loves but has not seen for a while. At 86 traveling is not easy. (It is not easy at 61.) I went online and booked three tickets and this past Thursday morning Brenda, mom and I boarded a plane and flew to Chicago's O'Hare Airport. We spent several days enjoying the beautiful weather (Mom loves Fall in the Midwest) and seeing old friends. The last time Brenda and I were there we were following a casket out of the auditorium that was carrying the body of my dad back in 2001. It was good to be back after all these years. I had so many various thoughts on this trip and I thought I would share a few with my FB friends.

1. Mom still loves FBC Hammond. I mean she REALLY loves it. She rejoices with every blessing they receive and grieves at every hurt. That is what 42 years of being the pastor's wife did. She does not feel jealousy, but only a deep love for the place and the people.

2. I believe Chicago is the greatest city in this country, even with all its flaws. Saturday we took a trip downtown. We drove along Lakeshore Drive, enjoyed seeing the quaintness of the Chicago River, walked down Michigan Avenue, gazed at the skyscrapers, went by Moody church and through the Lincoln Park area, and even took time to get a Chicago hotdog at Portillo's. (I ate 2) We had a great time. I was reminded of how much dad loved Chicago, and what a burden he had for the masses of lost souls there.

3. There are some great Christians who stayed by the stuff at FBC. We went to the rehabilitation center where Erma McKinney is staying as she recovers from 4 recent strokes. What a great lady. We spent some time at the home of Maxine Jeffries, one of my favorite people in all the world. Maxine almost died recently. We so enjoyed seeing her. We saw Terry and Anne Duff, the Knoerzer's, the Colstens, Roy and JoJo, and why did I start naming names? Let's just say we saw a host of wonderful people who loved us through the years and who we have loved as well.

4. What dad was used of God to do at FBC was truly a miracle. Thursday afternoon we drove by the church, the college, Baptist City, and the cemetery. I commented that it is amazing that when he died the church was debt free and had millions of dollars. Dad cared more about leaving the church healthy than enhancing his own legacy. It is amazing what God did there.

5. Memory Lane was one of my dad's best and most loved accomplishments. Dad truly loved the cemetery and felt it filled a missing piece for the church. He was so right. Going there and seeing the graves, not only of our son, Jack David and my dad, but of hundreds of great Christians from FBC was such an inspiration. I might add that we left feeling so much peace knowing that people like Jay and Becky Towne and David Crutchfield were there caring for the memories of our loved ones. That was one of the biggest blessings of the trip. Brenda and I had not been to Jack David's grave for almost 15 years. We were so comforted.

6. Old friends are special friends. It was so wonderful to see new friends, but it was a real blessing to see some who I have known since our elementary years at the church and others with whom we became close over the years. It was so good to see folks like Keith McKinney, Andy Andrew Briner, Ron and Lisa Judd, Jeff and Kathy Peach, Carlos and Sarah Rivera, our third daughter, Charity, Carol Frye Tudor, and oh, so many others. I cherished every old friend with whom I had the chance to shake hands or greet. There were many others I did not name, but was so happy to see.

7. Tiebels still has the best Lake Perch. Saturday evening was a treat as we went and enjoyed a meal there. Dad always loved that restaurant

8. Pastor Wilkerson seems like a genuine and caring pastor. I do not know him well, but he was gracious to me in spite of the fact that a couple of his own staff men would be displeased at him treating me like a human, Just acknowledging our presence, I am sure brought him criticism, but he was gracious anyway, and it allowed others who love us to know we were there so they could greet us. It is evident that he has won the hearts of the people and we are all pleased to see that. When he spoke about God touching his heart at the 1980 Youth Conference when the theme was 'So You Want To Be a Star" I kinda felt that was for me because I was the one who was still leading the Your Conference then.

9. I have many Facebook friends at FBC. What a delight to have so many shake hands and say, "I follow you on Facebook." Mom even commented that many told her that I had been a blessing to them and that really encouraged her heart. Thank you FBC FB friends. I wish I could have spent more time with you all. A big shout our to Darrell Imani for picking us up and taking us back to the airport.

10. Mom is an amazing Christian in her own right. I think it was amazing to see the gracefulness of my 86 year old mom in action. She is a real saint and an inspiration to so many. She is a lot of fun too. Honestly it is hard to believe she is 86. She and Brenda got to laughing at the airport and I thought I was going to have to separate them. Mom is so much fun and she really savors life.

11. God's grace really is sufficient if we allow it. I saw this from two angles on the trip. First I saw the way God has seen so many people through some very rough waters these past few years yet they have not lost their sweet spirit or their faith. FBC has suffered but God has been there for them. Secondly I saw it personally. I know there are those who did not want me there and I was stung by some things that were said to me, but God brought me many times more words of grace and encouragement from folks than words of hurt.

12. My private group FIG (Fallen IN Grace) is having an impact on many lives. So many people told us how they had been encouraged by the group and I was thrilled to know that God was allowing my failures to be used to help others.

13. It is so sweet when someone I thought may hate me shows me I am wrong. You know, it hurts when you do not know how someone you loved so deeply feels about you. Several people like that approached me and let me know they love me and that thrilled my heart.

14. Heaven really is going to be so sweet. I thought as we were leaving town of all the people I did not get to spend any time with while we were there. So many people I wish I could have seen and shared a meal with. There were so many who wished they could sit and chat a while with mom. Well, when we get to Heaven we will have plenty of time to catch up and that will be wonderful.

When mom told me she would love to visit Hammond, she said, "David, you never know when I will no longer be able to visit those I love or how many more of them will go to Heaven soon." Many have gone to Heaven since she was last there. Maybe it will be her last time to go back. I hope not. It was good to bring mom back and to visit myself. So, there are a few of my thoughts. I hope you enjoyed them." end of Dave's travel log.

Well now we know why they were here.

I couldn't help but think of this. I use it every day.

Luk 11:4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from

How does that contradict what I said? I didn't say he was kicked off the property when he visited, I said after that visit they didn't want Dave to come back. That info comes from security personal, take it however you want.

And of course Pastor Wilkerson was nice to him, what was he suppose to do?

80-something year old Beverly Hyles shows up on a Sunday Morning with Dave by her side. Pastor Wilkerson announces visitors that morning and says, "And we're honored to have with us this morning Mrs. Beverly Hyles... Oh, is that you Dave? Not you, sit down, Dave. I've heard tell you're a perv. Security!" ??

I was in the service that morning, Pastor Wilkerson made a big deal out of Mrs. Hyles being there and dealt with DH the best he could. Pastor Wilkerson in no way glorified DH's presences, it was just incidental to Mrs. Hyles being there.

And IMO, I think Dave blew up the occasion in his own mind in the retelling, because of course he would have made it all about him. ?