Bringing a Friends or Neighbors Children to Church ...

Tim

Elect
Reaction score
Our Church is in the process of developing and voting on policy for child protection.

Last night the subject of transportation was brought up, and after some questions from the floor the following was established from new policy in our Church:

If someone personally brings a child to Church (friend or neighbor), they must get parental approval in writing and submit that to Church, plus the policy of 2 adults in vehicle with child must apply.

I have an issue with the requirement of two adults if I bring my children and our close friends children to Church together. My wife stays home on Monday night youth, I bring my two teens, and sometimes I bring our friends two teens ... we all feel this is safe. But. Under new Church policy I would need another adult to bring my friends children to Church.

Why? I am an agent of our Church by membership and the fact that I teach Sunday School. Plus, this protects myself, the children, and the Church. That is what I have been told anyway.

Is this a normal policy? Is this overboard?

Additionally. An older lady brings my son sometimes to food pantry to assist with that ministry. She no longer can bring him since she is alone with a 14 year old boy.

Having your own children in your car seems appropriate enough. These child protection policies need to be considered, in line, with the church's insurance policy. NOTHING will ever stop an accusation. Does your insurance policy require this? If not, then it is overkill. I never heard of one doing that.

Strange. Unless the church set up a formal carpooling system, I don't see how a church can be held liable.

... but I am no lawyer

Do you hold a position with the church....deacon, SS Teacher etc..

If you are just a church member bringing a guest to church, then the churches liability begins when you enter the church property unless you hold a position within the church, then it can be argued that you are officially representing the church when bringing under aged kids to church.

Thanks,

Billy

Tim said:
If someone personally brings a child to Church (friend or neighbor), they must get parental approval in writing and submit that to Church, plus the policy of 2 adults in vehicle with child must apply.

And what happens if you don't have 2 adults in the car?

And what happens if a newcomer to the church (who is not aware of the policy) comes with his own kids and the neighbour kids? Do they get reprimanded, or just turned away at the door?

"Policy," as a general rule, is there for those who have positions within the church (volunteer or paid) and hence some measure of authority and influence over children. It's there to protect the church and to protect the children. My church requires, amongst other things, a police background check and references for anyone who wants to minister to minors. Having policy apply to everyone who darkens the church's doors seems unworkable to me; if it's too strict or it's difficult to know in advance, it becomes a barrier to entry. Although having the permission of a parent or parents to bring their kids to church seems quite sensible.

There's no way I'm bringing someone else's kids anywhere anymore.

That era is over.

Buh-bye!

And my kids arent going with some other adult, either.

earnestly contend