Broadbrushing megachurches

brianb

Elect
Reaction score
Based on ignorance? I think so.

What I've been noticing lately since the news about Schaap is that some are seeing that he is just another corrupt megachurch (ex-) pastor (not just a Baptist or IFB). They see him as no different than other megachurch pastors like Bishop Eddie Long a while back. But can they really prove that most or all megachurch's are corrupt. I can a name a few that aren't corrupt.

Like:
Saddleback Church.
People's Church in Toronto. (a megachurch has at least 2000 so I can include that one which has over 4000).
Grace Community Church (Macarthur)

The size of a church doesn't make it easier or more likely for a church to be corrupt or to have a bad pastor. Fred Phelp's church is really small and he is known to have abused his own son in earlier years before he became infamous for his protests. Corruption can happen in small churches as well as larger churches. I'm saying all this because I think it is important people know the truth. There are people that will avoid a good large church because of false information and end up in a smaller church that could not be so good - it could be corrupt or abusive. That's all I can think of right now. Personally I'm not into megachurch's though I appreciate those (the good ones) who pastor such churches. What do you think?

What's the question?

If it's "Is the amount of corruption in a church directly correlated to its size?", no, I don't think it is. There are good and bad churches of every size.