Brother Sprunger

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Just read this morning that Brother Sprunger passed away. What are you memories?

My 1st year out of college I was going door to door soulwinning in MI & a couple comes to the door & tells me that Sam lead him to the Lord.

praying for the family

Brother Springer now knows that the demerits he gave me were wrong. ?

For one summer Sam Sprunger came with me to Cook County DOC. We held church services in a cafeteria. Typically, one guy would open the service and the other would preach and take turns every week. When Sam opened the service he would usually prattle on so long that he would never give you time to preach. Then he would apologize but he did it OFTEN.

BALAAM said:
For one summer Sam Sprunger came with me to Cook County DOC. We held church services in a cafeteria. Typically, one guy would open the service and the other would preach and take turns every week. When Sam opened the service he would usually prattle on so long that he would never give you time to preach. Then he would apologize but he did it OFTEN.

Why can I picture this happening........often????

Was he one of the hair-check guys?

Baptist City Holdout said:
Twisted said:
Was he one of the hair-check guys?

You got it!

Yeah, he always had his hair greased back on the sides.  So many times I wanted to "flick" his hair out.  It would have probably gone over his ears.

Mr Sprunger was a workaholic.  5 days at HAC, Saturday visitation, Sunday Church services, etc.

Shortly after the Sprungers moved to the Region, he would even baptize the converts from the afternoon services at FBC.  I don't know how people could endure years of that type of schedule due to physical fatigue and lack of sleep.

One little known fact, Mr Sprunger and Mrs Colsten grew up in the same town in eastern Indiana, Berne.  Berne
is still an Amish and Mennonite town.  Mrs Colsten grew up Mennonite and she and Bro Johnny's wedding was at the large First Mennonite church in Berne and Mr Sprunger's first pastorate was a Mennonite congregation in PA.

tobytyler said:
Mr Sprunger was a workaholic.  5 days at HAC, Saturday visitation, Sunday Church services, etc.

Shortly after the Sprungers moved to the Region, he would even baptize the converts from the afternoon services at FBC.  I don't know how people could endure years of that type of schedule due to physical fatigue and lack of sleep.

One little known fact, Mr Sprunger and Mrs Colsten grew up in the same town in eastern Indiana, Berne.  Berne
is still an Amish and Mennonite town.  Mrs Colsten grew up Mennonite and she and Bro Johnny's wedding was at the large First Mennonite church in Berne and Mr Sprunger's first pastorate was a Mennonite congregation in PA.

Interesting info!

My senior year, I along with one other student met in his office for a class. He was an extremely kind man, always the christian gentleman. That class, along with others where he was the instructor were frustratingly simple. Nowhere near college level classes.

One conversation we had has stuck with me for quite a while. He was very open and transparent about many doubts that he had. I remember it being both encouraging and troubling. Encouraging, knowing others struggled with doubts  too. Troubling, because I was a young student trusting a little to much the faith of others.

But during my college years, he was always the model of a kind gracious man.

Mr. White said:
My senior year, I along with one other student met in his office for a class. He was an extremely kind man, always the christian gentleman. That class, along with others where he was the instructor were frustratingly simple. Nowhere near college level classes.

One conversation we had has stuck with me for quite a while. He was very open and transparent about many doubts that he had. I remember it being both encouraging and troubling. Encouraging, knowing others struggled with doubts  too. Troubling, because I was a young student trusting a little to much the faith of others.

But during my college years, he was always the model of a kind gracious man.
What were his troubling doubts concerning, if I may ask?

One time the First Missionary Church in Berne had on their sign, "It's Not about the Rules." It was the launch of them taking that as their motto. That is just down the road from the Mennonite church. Couldn't help but get a chuckle about the "Rules" reference in Mr. Sprunger's home town.

BTW, this Mennonite is the type that dress, travel and have mannerisms like anybody else. They could be described as patriotic but definitely not nationalistic.

I was a married college student and periodically the college administration would get on a rampage about helping married college men. A couple of times they would have a mass push to have their teachers counsel with the married students. I got a letter from SS once asking me to meet with him at like 7:00 AM one morning. I was taking a full load of classes and working until 1-3 am and to come at 7 was hard. We all knew what it was about because they were trying to meet with all married men personally. I got  there at 7 and SS told me he had to postpone the meeting because he was fighting a cold and that I needed to reschedule. I never did. Funny the little things a guy remembers.

BALAAM said:
I was a married college student and periodically the college administration would get on a rampage about helping married college men. A couple of times they would have a mass push to have their teachers counsel with the married students. I got a letter from SS once asking me to meet with him at like 7:00 AM one morning. I was taking a full load of classes and working until 1-3 am and to come at 7 was hard. We all knew what it was about because they were trying to meet with all married men personally. I got  there at 7 and SS told me he had to postpone the meeting because he was fighting a cold and that I needed to reschedule. I never did. Funny the little things a guy remembers.

He should have texted you.