Bug out Gun

Starlifter

Elect
Reaction score
If you could have just one gun to bug out with.
It has to be suitable for self defense and hunting.
What would that gun be and why?

Probably a .30 carbine. Short enough for close quarters defense but with enough range and accuracy to take down something within 100 yards .

If you could have just one gun to bug out with.
It has to be suitable for self defense and hunting.
What would that gun be and why?
Either my AR-15 or my 12-Ga Shotgun. Hard to decide which as both have their advantages and disadvantages. Maybe my wife would take one and I take the other. I'll also take my .40 Cal S&W, just won't tell you about it! :cool:

Below are a few items you should include in your kit, for a full list visit the CDC Emergency page.

• Water (1 gallon per person per day)
  • Food (stock up on non-perishable items that you eat regularly)
  • Medications (this includes prescription and non-prescription meds)
  • Tools and Supplies (utility knife, duct tape, battery-powered radio, etc.)
  • Sanitation and Hygiene (household bleach, soap, towels, etc.)
  • Clothing and Bedding (a change of clothes for each family member and blankets)
  • Important documents (copies of your driver’s license, passport, and birth certificate to name a few)
  • First Aid supplies (although you’re a goner if a zombie bites you, you can use these supplies to treat basic cuts and lacerations that you might get during a tornado or hurricane)

Strange that the CDC makes no mention of a firearm or any weapon for that matter! No sure you will survive long without some sort of firearm unless you plans to hide in a bunker full or supplies until the zombies all die off.

Strange that the CDC makes no mention of a firearm or any weapon for that matter! No sure you will survive long without some sort of firearm unless you plans to hide in a bunker full or supplies until the zombies all die off.

Well, if there's a zombie apocalypse, the CDC failed, so why bother listening to them? Fire at will.

On the other hand, if there's a tornado or hurricane, you're probably not going to need a gun, since it's unlikely that civilization will come to an end.

Well, if there's a zombie apocalypse, the CDC failed, so why bother listening to them? Fire at will.

On the other hand, if there's a tornado or hurricane, you're probably not going to need a gun, since it's unlikely that civilization will come to an end.
Poor Will...

I have a Mossberg 500, short barrel which might suffice. Slugs for hunting and buck shot for close in defense. Not sure what the range would be for hunting.

I have a Mossberg 500, short barrel which might suffice. Slugs for hunting and buck shot for close in defense. Not sure what the range would be for hunting.
According to Taofledermaus, slugs in something like that are effective out to about 50-75 yards but they don't talk much about hunting.

As already stated, the 12 ga. shotgun. The reason, as already hinted at, it's versatility.