By What Authority?

Twisted

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Well, this ought to "stir the waters" (pun intended). 

How does he have authority to do this?

What "church" are they being added to?

http://youtu.be/f8W8OP6-P8A

Twisted said:

What authority do you think he needs, apart from being a believer?

What makes you think baptism is about adding people to a "church" as opposed to the "Church"?

NorrinRadd said:
What makes you think baptism is about adding people to a "church" as opposed to the "Church"?

Baptism adds you to the Body of Christ?  News to me.

Twisted said:
NorrinRadd said:

What church did the eunuch join?

Billy

Twisted said:
NorrinRadd said:

A reasonable clarification, even though I think you read in a bit to what I said.

Billy said:
Twisted said:
NorrinRadd said:

What church did the eunuch join?

Billy

There you go having to make this about Bruce Jenner....LOL!

Twisted said:

As a convicted criminal and a divorcee, per 1 Timothy 3, he has no authority at all to be performing baptisms, because he is not qualified to be a minister of Christ.

While I would generally agree that an ordinance is efficacious because of the faith of the recipient, I would also look askance at someone who was baptized by a known fraud such as Hovind.

Ransom said:
I believe the Apostle Paul was a convicted criminal.

Was he convicted of crimes he committed while pretending to be a Christian minister?

OK, Ransom, how did you screw up my post?

Did it get deleted or modified? Admins have the modify and quote feature right next to each other. It is horrible. I have messed up a few posts myself.

FSSL said:
Did it get deleted or modified? Admins have the modify and quote feature right next to each other. It is horrible. I have messed up a few posts myself.

My post is now his quote.  The response is also his.

20 lashes.

Ransom said:
Twisted said:

As a convicted criminal...

Wasn't the Apostle Paul a convicted criminal?

and a divorcee, per 1 Timothy 3, ...

Of course divorce is never mentioned there, and opinions are far from unified on the idiomatic meaning of "one-woman man."

he has no authority at all to be performing baptisms, because he is not qualified to be a minister of Christ.

Where is it written that only some special class of super-Christians may perform baptisms?

Twisted said:
OK, Ransom, how did you screw up my post?

As FSSL said, the Quote and Modify buttons are next to each other, and it's very easy to click the wrong one without realizing it.

My apologies. Normally I spot the mistake in time to back out or at least edit the post back to the way it originally was. But in this instance I completely missed it.

NorrinRadd said:
Twisted said:

What authority do you think he needs, apart from being a believer?

Well, many of the IFB churches I've been in have odd thinking about the Great Commission... they proclaim loudly that the first part applies to each and every Christian, but just as loudly proclaim that the 2nd part doesn't - that only individuals "authorized" by the church can baptize. For the 3rd part churches put limits on who can teach, but it cannot stop individuals from teaching their friends.

I've always wondered why we think baptism automatically adds someone to the church rolls. The decision to join a church should be separate, not automatically assumed.

[/quote]

Walt said:
I've always wondered why we think baptism automatically adds someone to the church rolls. The decision to join a church should be separate, not automatically assumed.

When I was in the military, I knew I needed to be baptized.  I visited a Baptist church and asked the pastor to baptize me.  He would not unless I joined his church.  Of course I passed.

Later I had been attending a "Bible" church and asked to be baptized.  No problem and nothing said about joining the church.  (of course they could have added my name to the roll anyway but it was never mentioned)