Charles Stanley dead at 90

Sad news. I had the opportunity to meet him years ago. He’s the only preacher I ever watched from a television. I know he was a controversial figure due to his very public divorce, but he was allowed to stay in his role as a preacher as long as he didn’t remarry, which he never did. My understanding is his ex-wife had some serious mental health challenges, but I never knew her and only met him once.

It was his wife who initiated the divorce. Nothing I've seen states why. By the letter of the (biblical) law, if divorce is initiated by one spouse, the other is free to remarry. Does the same hold true for a pastor remaining in the ministry? Arguments could be made either way. As far as I have seen, Dr. Stanley conducted himself honorably in all ways.

I've passed by his ministry headquarters and church many times. Dr Stanley and his situation with his wife reminds me so much of Dr Charles Weigle and what happened to him. His wife left him as well many many years ago. And it was out of that time, that he went on to pen the famous christian song "No one ever cared for me life Jesus".

I don't know alot in life but I do know this: it doesn't matter so much WHAT happens to us as much as it matters how we react to it and what we do from it.

Bless Dr Stanley's memory.

It was his wife who initiated the divorce. Nothing I've seen states why. By the letter of the (biblical) law, if divorce is initiated by one spouse, the other is free to remarry. Does the same hold true for a pastor remaining in the ministry? Arguments could be made either way. As far as I have seen, Dr. Stanley conducted himself honorably in all ways.
I believe marriage and family should always take precedence over ministry but now is not the time to debate this. We all have things over which we will give account to God. RIP to Charles Stanley and may God be glorified for the impact he has made during his ministry.

I enjoyed Charles Stanley's sermons online, from time to time, and I considered him a great man even though I did not always agree with his view on some issues.

I believe he will be rewarded greatly, in Heaven, for a good life lived for the cause of Christ. He will answer as we all will for whatever mistakes he may have made.

We will never know all the circumstances that led to their family difficulties, but both Dr. Charles Stanley and his son continued to serve God in the way each felt God was directing them to and they serve as an example that through Gods grace we can get through whatever difficulty life sends us and we do not have to quit.

My prayers go out to his family and all those that looked to him as their preacher.

I always considered him one of the greats in ministry.
He was very 'well known' and respected all across the country.
He had a national platform.

So where are all the IFB pastors going to get their sermons from now since they can no longer plagiarize from Charles Stanley?

Well, it seems he had just a little success with his pastoral method. 😬

I have said what Bob Jones is saying for years. It was fashionable in my younger and more militant days of IFBism to bash TV preachers like Stanley (the compromising Southern Baptist!), but I didn't look at him through the lens of those militant types. However, there was always something about his preaching (as a budding preacher myself) that bothered me. I didn't know enough in those days on how to put a finger on my misgivings, but intuitively I knew that there was something significantly different in the way he preached than the likes of Southern Baptists I respected like Adrian Rogers. Now that I'm older and a tad better at discerning and dissecting the message and homiletics of a man, I agree with the essence of what Bob Jones is saying. Stanley was a warm, loving, caring pastoral sort, but generally weak on meaty doctrine. Maybe that was only the way it was packaged for the Sunday morning telecast, and maybe he was more thorough/deep in his other "Sunday evening" messages, but just judging the stuff on the Tele, it was a bit of a weak-sauce IMNSHO. That doesn't mean I don't think he may have been used greatly of God, and as Paul said, I rejoice whenever the gospel is preached, and Stanley preached the gospel.

I have said what Bob Jones is saying for years. It was fashionable in my younger and more militant days of IFBism to bash TV preachers like Stanley (the compromising Southern Baptist!), but I didn't look at him through the lens of those militant types. However, there was always something about his preaching (as a budding preacher myself) that bothered me. I didn't know enough in those days on how to put a finger on my misgivings, but intuitively I knew that there was something significantly different in the way he preached than the likes of Southern Baptists I respected like Adrian Rogers. Now that I'm older and a tad better at discerning and dissecting the message and homiletics of a man, I agree with the essence of what Bob Jones is saying. Stanley was a warm, loving, caring pastoral sort, but generally weak on meaty doctrine. Maybe that was only the way it was packaged for the Sunday morning telecast, and maybe he was more thorough/deep in his other "Sunday evening" messages, but just judging the stuff on the Tele, it was a bit of a weak-sauce IMNSHO. That doesn't mean I don't think he may have been used greatly of God, and as Paul said, I rejoice whenever the gospel is preached, and Stanley preached the gospel.
I understand what you’re both saying, but isn’t it the goal of a pastor to reach people for Christ? Shouldn’t we differentiate between a Sunday morning sermon and a graduate divinity classroom lecture?

I understand what you’re both saying, but isn’t it the goal of a pastor to reach people for Christ? Shouldn’t we differentiate between a Sunday morning sermon and a graduate divinity classroom lecture?

There's potentially some truth in what you're saying, as differing audiences require reaching them with differing subtlety. However, it's also potentially a false dichotomy to look at it strictly the way you put it. Ever read a sermon by Spurgeon? He reached the masses, but didn't compromise the meat.