Chattel Slavery and the Nation of Israel

biscuit1953

Elect
Reaction score
Israel never practiced chattel slavery (Exodus 21:1-6). They practiced indentured servitude (Lev 25:39-43) and God only allowed them to keep permanent slaves from the surrounding nations they conquered (Lev 25:44-46) which were a booty of war (Num 31:9-11, 32-35; Deut 21:10-14).

This brings us to American slavery where verses from the Old Testament were taken out of context to justify the capture and permanent enslavement of other people. There were no legal slaves in America before 1655, only indentured servants. Indentured servants were under contract to work for another for a definite period of time, usually without pay in exchange for free passage to the new colonies or in order to be trained in a craft or skill. Davy Crockett was an indentured servant for example. Anthony Johnson (AD 1600-1670) was an Angolan who had a Black indentured servant with whom he had a dispute. Johnson refused to release John Casor and it went to court. On March 8, 1654, the first slave owner in the American colonies was a Black man. Whites could not legally own a Black servant as a permanent slave until 1670. In that year the colonial assembly passed legislation permitting free Whites, Blacks, and Indians the right to own Blacks as permanent slaves.

As slavery became more entrenched in America, slave owners justified the practice by ripping out passages of the Old Testament and applying them to their enslavement of men and women. But just as today we have no commission from God to kill every man, woman, and child when conquering our enemies, nor a commission to make permanent slaves of other people we have conquered. Indeed, the Apostle Paul speaks out on this sin.

1Ti 1:9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
1Ti 1:10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

It isn’t “political” to speak out against evil. Christians should not be silenced in rebuking the leaders of our day who promote every kind of evil perversion that just a few years ago would have put a man in jail. We should vote them out of office if at all possible unless we are too righteous to vote for a man who isn't perfect.

Was chattel slavery practiced in any area of the Roman empire during the 1st century?

Was chattel slavery practiced in any area of the Roman empire during the 1st century?
The Apostle Paul plainly spoke out against men stealers or enslavers. I don't think Rome used the Old Testament to justify what they did.

The Apostle Paul plainly spoke out against men stealers or enslavers. I don't think Rome used the Old Testament to justify what they did.
I wasn't asking if Rome used the OT to justify what they did. I simply asked if they practiced it.

"When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be punished; for the slave is his money. - Exodus 21:20-21 RSV
"And if a man beats his male or female servant with a rod, so that he dies under his hand, he shall surely be punished. "Notwithstanding, if he remains alive a day or two, he shall not be punished; for he [is] his property. - Exodus 21:20-21 NKJV
"If a man strikes his male servant or his female servant with a staff so that he or she dies as a result of the blow, he will surely be punished. However, if the injured servant survives one or two days, the owner will not be punished, for he has suffered the loss. - Exodus 21:20-21 NET

Looks like chattle to me.

"When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be punished; for the slave is his money. - Exodus 21:20-21 RSV
"And if a man beats his male or female servant with a rod, so that he dies under his hand, he shall surely be punished. "Notwithstanding, if he remains alive a day or two, he shall not be punished; for he [is] his property. - Exodus 21:20-21 NKJV
"If a man strikes his male servant or his female servant with a staff so that he or she dies as a result of the blow, he will surely be punished. However, if the injured servant survives one or two days, the owner will not be punished, for he has suffered the loss. - Exodus 21:20-21 NET

Looks like chattle to me.
Exodus 21:1-6 refers to Hebrew servants. Israel was not allowed to make them permanent servants unlike the slaves from the surrounding conquered nations. Even among the permanent slaves there were regulations put in place as to how they were to be treated. I was just pointing out that using Old Testament passages concerning Israel cannot be used to justify what was practiced in the United States.

I wasn't asking if Rome used the OT to justify what they did. I simply asked if they practiced it.
Rome... The pagan empire or the church at Rome?

How much of scripture is devoted to ending the practice? How much time did the early church spend on trying to end it?
I'm not sure what your point is. How much scripture in the New Testament is devoted to homosexuality or other specific sins? To know the scriptures condemn enslaving men (the literal translation is "men stealers") should be enough for Christians to condemn such a practice.

I'm not sure what your point is. How much scripture in the New Testament is devoted to homosexuality or other specific sins? To know the scriptures condemn enslaving men (the literal translation is "men stealers") should be enough for Christians to condemn such a practice.
There's a difference between saying something is wrong and making it a priority in one's life to end the practice.

Exodus 21:1-6 refers to Hebrew servants. Israel was not allowed to make them permanent servants unlike the slaves from the surrounding conquered nations. Even among the permanent slaves there were regulations put in place as to how they were to be treated. I was just pointing out that using Old Testament passages concerning Israel cannot be used to justify what was practiced in the United States.
It's about the slave being his property. That's chattle.

Also, Hebrew servants were allowed to be made permanent by their consent.

There's a difference between saying something is wrong and making it a priority in one's life to end the practice.
I believe Spurgeon and other Christians leaders were 100 percent correct in publicly condemning slavery from the pulpit. The same applies to abortion, lying, murder, and every other sin that is so prevalent today. The churches in Germany that refused to speak out were a complete disgrace. When the Supreme Court removed the Ten Commandments from the public schools in America, the reason given was, "If posted copies of the Ten Commandments are to have any effect at all, it will be to induce the schoolchildren to read, meditate upon, and perhaps to venerate and obey the Commandments...establishment clause." Stone v. Graham, 1980

The public schools today are nothing but a jungle with police officers required in practically every school. Because the children are being taught they have evolved from monkeys and are just another animal, they will act like animals with no fear of God. People like subllibrm who claim the name of Christ will use the excuse of "politics" to justify not voting for a man beause he doesn't fit his standard of righteousness and accuses Christians who actually speak out on moral issues as defiling the gospel. I started the first grade in 1959 and we had Bible reading and prayer every day. We even met in the gym to sing hymns before school started. Even after the Supreme outlawed Bible reading and prayer in 1962 and 1963 it continued on in the schools I attended. We need more Christian leaders to once again preach on sin, righteousness and judgment to come to a nation that has forgotten God.

Last edited:
It's about the slave being his property. That's chattle.

Also, Hebrew servants were allowed to be made permanent by their consent.
Chattel slavery is a system which allowed people — considered legal property — to be bought, sold and owned forever. That was not allowed in Israel except among the ungodly nations conquered by Israel. A Hebrew servant became a bond servant because he loved his master (Deut 15:16-18) and it was completely voluntary and is a type of the Christian who serves Christ out of love, not compulsion. We don't have the command to permanently enslave other people against their wills because we aren't Israel. As a matter of fact the apostle Paul condemned it as all Christians should.

Yay! I am now a "people like"! Maybe I can have an "ilk" named after me. :unsure:;)

The assumptions made about me and my voting record are pretty funny.