Christian concerts I wasn't supposed to attend...

Green Beret

Elect
Reaction score
Raider's threads on the secular and Christian concerts, and the responses to them, brought back a dormant memory. Who here ever went to (i.e. "snuck into" - using the Alabama vernacular) a Christian concert you weren't suppose to attend?

For me it happened twice. Hey, I was a closet IFB rebel, what can I say? The first time it was in 1979 when my best friend and I took our girlfriends on a double date to see....

Bill and Gloria Gaither in Concert at the then new Jefferson County Civic Center in Birmingham, Alabama.

We knew that the Gaithers were frowned upon at our church and school so we bought the tickets and kept it quiet. Shortly after spending the $30, big box office in those days, it was made known that the concert was off limits for students. we were risking suspension or worse if we were caught going.

There were no refunds so we went. Talking about being nervous. Now, think about that statement. I was a senior at a Christian High School and I was scared to go to a Christian concert. I was sneaking around the entrance of the JCCC like it was Sodom and Gomorrah. That's just wrong on so many levels.

During the concert, the Gaithers introduced their newest song - I Am Loved. We all got to hold hands and sing it to each other.

I am loved, I am loved
I can risk loving you
For the One who knows me best
Loves me most
I am loved you are loved
Won't you please take my hand
We are free to love each other
We are loved.

Man, going to a CCM concert, singing love songs about Jesus AND physical contact! I was on the slippery slope for sure.

But, to top it all off, after the intermission, Bill Gaither said we were in for a special treat because they had a famous artist that wasn't on the set list that was going to sing. The house lights dimmed to total darkness, there was silence and then a single spot light came on to illuminate a long haired Don Francisco!

He sang He's Alive and several other of his hits but he ended his set with the one I remember most - The Steeple Song.

If you have ever been, or are, an IFB you need to hear it. That song, along with everything else that night, was a real first step towards sanity in my walk with Christ.

OK, so what's your story? Remember, one per post. Respect the numbers.   

I saw Stryper...

When I was in high school, I skipped church one Sunday night to go hear The Happy Goodmans at another church in the area (non-Baptist). Boy did I hear about it the next day! I think even my salvation was called into question!

Green Beret said:
prophet said:
I saw Stryper...

REPENT!
I went to a Spanish Speaking Penecostal service once..that was a 4-hour concert that I wasn't supposed to be at

>:D