Chromebook fake out?

Vince Massi

Elect
Reaction score
I have been researching Chromebooks for the last few days and am surprised at how successful they have become. Is anyone out there using a Chromebook? Could you post your opinions, pro and con?

I see that our readers are rushing to reply. Anyway, I just read a good article claiming that Windows 10 is better than Chrome. I agree that for most people it is. But I already have a Win 10 computer, and a Chromebook is a lot cheaper for what I need.

For its price, I regard a Chromebook as a better value for me, but not everyone else.

I have both... I prefer my Chromebook by far, fast, easy to use. Works fine without internet for docs, etc. Used it for work and would just remote in to a Windows machine to use Windows programs. My wife uses one exclusively.

Work just bought me a Surface Pro 4 so have been using that quite a bit because of its size and portability.

I have been doing a lot of research on Chromebooks lately:

1) The average Chromebook last just under ten hours on its battery. The worst one lasted over 7 hours.
2) With 2 gigs of RAM, a Chromebook begins having trouble when there are ten tabs open.
3) Chrome and Android, between them, are on more devices than Windows.

Vince Massi said:
I have been doing a lot of research on Chromebooks lately:

1) The average Chromebook last just under ten hours on its battery. The worst one lasted over 7 hours.
2) With 2 gigs of RAM, a Chromebook begins having trouble when there are ten tabs open.
3) Chrome and Android, between them, are on more devices than Windows.

I have a Samsung Chromebook II with 2GB of RAM and it begins to suck wind when I have more than 4 or 5 tabs open. Only second to an ASUS netbook computer I bought a few years ago, my Chromebook is the worst computer I've ever owned. I can't even unload it to some unsuspecting individual in various buy/sell/swap FB pages I belong to.

Good post, Red Ryder. I would gladly take it off your hands if you could figure out how to get it to me in Mexico. I'm running all over the place trying to buy one that I like.

Now then, I did some research on your rig. Your Chromebook is a well-made device with a good price at the time (2014. Prices have dropped since then.) As with every cheap laptop, different parts are cheapened up to keep the price down.

You have one of the finest screens that a Chromebook can have. As a result, more power must be diverted to the screen. Your CPU is a Samsung brand that is designed to be stable, but not fast. One review said that whenever you try two tasks at once, you slow down. That's where your problem is.

But you have one of the better keyboards and scroll pads that cheap laptops have, and a good cooling system ought to make you last a lot longer than most.

In every cheap laptop, every good point must be paid for by cheapening up something else to hold down the price. Overall, I think that you did well with your purchase.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-your-next-laptop-should-be-a-chromebook/?ftag=TRE17cfd61&bhid=26973711659752078867970563248451

Why Your Next Laptop Should Be a Chromebook