Church Fights

illinoisguy

Elect
Reaction score
Since things are a bit slow on the forum right now, how about an article about a church fight?

Sad about being fightin’ mad – The Eccentric Fundamentalist

This pastor was criticized for having a church wedding on Sunday, for temporarily removing an American flag and moving a prayer meeting for the wedding, and for unrelated matters such as having criticized racial policies at Bob Jones University.

I have a problem with pastors who are hypercritical, fault-finding and judgmental with their members, but it is just as bad when church members are hypercritical and judgmental of their pastors, which appears to be what is happening here. On the other hand, some may agree with the criticisms lodged against this pastor. Read it and decide for yourself. (For purposes of identification, this particular church is IFB/GARBC and the pastors are Maranatha graduates).

"I was heavily criticized for allowing the wedding party to hold a private reception inside the church building afterwards, during which time they danced. I was told I allowed the building to be desecrated."
Which means there was muuuusic! What kind? Not hymns, that's for sure!

In short, my decision to hold a wedding for two church members as the worship service on a Sunday morning has prompted an exodus of six people.​

Good heavens. How will the church survive this crisis.

In short, I think he could be rightly criticized for holding a wedding during the regular worship service, instead of, say, immediately afterward and inviting everyone to stay on. None of the other criticisms listed hold any water--indeed, when he says he's making a point of keeping the flag off the platform, I'm inwardly cheering him on.

--indeed, when he says he's making a point of keeping the flag off the platform, I'm inwardly cheering him on.​
I love it when Ransom agrees with me.
No church should have any flag in it, regardless of the country the church is in.

This could be serious. If The Real Felon lost 6 members, it would be half his congregation.

In short, my decision to hold a wedding for two church members as the worship service on a Sunday morning has prompted an exodus of six people.​

Good heavens. How will the church survive this crisis.

In short, I think he could be rightly criticized for holding a wedding during the regular worship service, instead of, say, immediately afterward and inviting everyone to stay on. None of the other criticisms listed hold any water--indeed, when he says he's making a point of keeping the flag off the platform, I'm inwardly cheering him on.
If the pastor regularly preaches against dancing with someone other than your wife or against certain kinds of music or perhaps consuming alcohol then I would advise the pastor and church leadership not to allow any of those activities in their church building. If the pastor preaches against gambling then allows a group to rent the church hall for a poker event it would be very hypocritical and inconsistent. I would prefer my pastor not have a wedding during the Sunday morning service, but I would not leave a church over it. I suspect those who did leave were just looking for an excuse.

Generally I would think it's wise to only allow members and possibly regular attenders to use the church facility for personal events. Allowing the general public to rent or use your facility can open you up to legal issues and can limit the restrictions you can put on who can use your facility and for what.

Last edited: