Church History

Jo

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I sat through a couple of Church History classes when Dave Hyles taught it at HAC. I didn't get much out of it.

I find myself in my older years fascinated with the history of the church. Below is a link that I found this morning that might be helpful to those interested.

P.S. Before I attended HAC, I read Pilgrim's Progress by Paul Bunyan. It's a life changer. Churches today seem to all want coffee bars and music that repeats the same lines over and over. I like the "old paths":)

I have nothing against having coffee/donuts available pre-service. It's sometimes a great thing for those who have had little or no time to eat or drink anything pre-service. Now, I have to agree with you on the music. I prefer the "old paths" myself, and so does my wife. We have seen the influx of Hillsong, Elevation church-type music, and it's been a disaster. It's dumbed down the congregation and led to a mantra-like, hypnotic style of "worship" if you can call it that.

Churches today seem to all want coffee bars and music that repeats the same lines over and over. I like the "old paths"
We have all three. :)

Several years ago, I audited a seminary-level church history course ranging from the apostolic era to the Middle Ages. It was a fascinating course. Lots of reading required, of course, as much of early church history is defined by theological controversies argued by the early fathers. Suffice it to say, though, that a lot of what passes for "church history" in fundamentalist circles (e.g. The Trail of Blood or The Two Babylons) is revisionist foolishness.

My textbook:

• TRUTH!
Reactions: Jo
We have all three. :)

Several years ago, I audited a seminary-level church history course ranging from the apostolic era to the Middle Ages. It was a fascinating course. Lots of reading required, of course, as much of early church history is defined by theological controversies argued by the early fathers. Suffice it to say, though, that a lot of what passes for "church history" in fundamentalist circles (e.g. The Trail of Blood or The Two Babylons) is revisionist foolishness.

My textbook:

We used that textbook during my "Bible Institute" days but the instructor was always telling us how the author was "Wrong" especially when he was bad-mouthing the Donatists, Montanists, Novatians, Waldensians, Etc. who he considered as "Baptist Forefathers." I misplaced it but from what I recall (and based upon everything I have "Unlearned" since, it seems like a good textbook and I wish I still had it.

I sat through a couple of Church History classes when Dave Hyles taught it at HAC. I didn't get much out of it.

I find myself in my older years fascinated with the history of the church. Below is a link that I found this morning that might be helpful to those interested.

P.S. Before I attended HAC, I read Pilgrim's Progress by Paul Bunyan. It's a life changer. Churches today seem to all want coffee bars and music that repeats the same lines over and over. I like the "old paths":)
Ed Reese taught those classes late 70's.