Church members mistreat homeless man -- their pastor

The Rogue Tomato said:
ALAYMAN said:
I think it was a staff member from FBCH/Hyles who I hosted at my house, but they actually train their staff to spot new visitors, and offer to take them out, or have them in their home.  If I remember right, that expectation was communicated in such a way that the staffers better not neglect such hospitality, or else.

There's nothing like boss feared spirit filled staffers.

Danged if ya do, danged if ya don't.  It seems that unless people do things the way you demand they don't do it well enough.

ALAYMAN said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
ALAYMAN said:
I think it was a staff member from FBCH/Hyles who I hosted at my house, but they actually train their staff to spot new visitors, and offer to take them out, or have them in their home.  If I remember right, that expectation was communicated in such a way that the staffers better not neglect such hospitality, or else.

There's nothing like boss feared spirit filled staffers.

Danged if ya do, danged if ya don't.  It seems that unless people do things the way you demand they don't do it well enough.

Maybe the point was "or else" is a pretty terrible way to motivate people to be more like Jesus.

rsc2a said:
Maybe the point was "or else" is a pretty terrible way to motivate people to be more like Jesus.

Duty ought never the primary motivation, but duty is not wrong. 

ALAYMAN said:
rsc2a said:

"Or else" is not duty. "Or else" is a threat.

rsc2a said:
ALAYMAN said:
rsc2a said:

"Or else" is not duty. "Or else" is a threat.

Then Scripture has plenty of "threats" about failing to do your duty.

[quote author=ALAYMAN]Then Scripture has plenty of "threats" about failing to do your duty.[/quote]

Just because a pastor may feel like they are God does not in fact mean that they are God.

rsc2a said:
[quote author=ALAYMAN]Then Scripture has plenty of "threats" about failing to do your duty.

Just because a pastor may feel like they are God does not in fact mean that they are God.
[/quote]

I didn't realize that.  Thanks for helping me sort that out.  Please don't tell me that the Bible ain't really Jesus next.

Can you imagine going to a home assembly for the first time and everyone ignores you? 

The Rogue Tomato said:
Can you imagine going to a home assembly for the first time and everyone ignores you?

Even though we disagree quite a bit in this area, I think both of us would readily acknowledge that the model that appears to be the functioning definition of "church" for many posters is fundamentally flawed.