Church membership

Anchor

Elect
Reaction score
What are the Scripture principles that would indicate formal membership in a local assembly as opposed to simple attendance at a local assembly?

Anchor said:
What are the Scripture principles that would indicate formal membership in a local assembly as opposed to simple attendance at a local assembly?

I'd like to see those myself.

Anchor said:

The necessity of church discipline.

Ransom said:
Anchor said:

Good point.

I personally think it happened as soon as there was not "the church" in any given city/area.  Once there were multiple churches, there was a necessity for people to identify with the church they attended.

Walt said:
Ransom said:
Anchor said:

Good point.

I personally think it happened as soon as there was not "the church" in any given city/area.  Once there were multiple churches, there was a necessity for people to identify with the church they attended.

None of that requires "formal membership".

Twisted said:

And how does one administer church discipline without it? If there is no acknowledgement that a church attendee, who has been caught in sin, has any accountability to the church or its elders?

Ransom said:
Twisted said:

And how does one administer church discipline without it? If there is no acknowledgement that a church attendee, who has been caught in sin, has any accountability to the church or its elders?

You're thinking like a 20/21st century American/Canadian.  Think like a first century believer.

Twisted said:
You're thinking like a 20/21st century American/Canadian.

Well, the question was, "what {i]are[/i] the scriptural principles" with respect to church membership, not "what were the scriptural principles."

Think like a first century believer.

The early church had a catechizing process for new converts that went on for years before they were even permitted to be baptized. So "think like a first-century believer" doesn't help your case. They knew who their membership was by virtue of having thoroughly instructed them.

So never mind the red herrings. Answer my question. How is church discipline administered if the sinner has no accountability to the church or its elders?

Ransom said:
The early church had a catechizing process for new converts that went on for years before they were even permitted to be baptized. So "think like a first-century believer" doesn't help your case. They knew who their membership was by virtue of having thoroughly instructed them.

So never mind the red herrings. Answer my question. How is church discipline administered if the sinner has no accountability to the church or its elders?

Wow, whoever you're reading is obviously not scriptural.  There's no example of that in the NT.

And discipline would not require a "formal membership".  I guess we ought to define what that means in the common usage.  Depending on location, they didn't have multiple house assemblies, so if you were expelled for discipline, everyone would know it.  That's the whole purpose.  Today you just run off to another church, and join by "statement of faith".

Twisted said:
Wow, whoever you're reading is obviously not scriptural.  There's no example of that in the NT.

Doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Depending on location, they didn't have multiple house assemblies, so if you were expelled for discipline, everyone would know it.  That's the whole purpose.  Today you just run off to another church, and join by "statement of faith".

Exactly. Without formal membership, there is no accountability. You aren't making your case; you're proving mine.

Ransom said:
You aren't making your case; you're proving mine.

Only in your own mind.  Enjoy the company.

Twisted said:
Only in your own mind.  Enjoy the company.

OKbyebye.

Anyone with an actual answer, that they at least tried to think of, want to chime in?

I am kind of surprised at the OP question. Throughout the NT, individual churches are identified. As Ransom noted, procedures (involving handing sinners in a congregation) are given.

Pastors and elders are set up in various locales. IF there was no such thing as a membership within a group, then why all of the structure? What functions do those Pastors and elders actually perform?

When Paul calls on the church in Jerusalem to give to the needy churches... where would that money go if there was no organized church?