Church votes

Walt

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
So, I was having lunch with a friend today... he (rather bemusedly) told me a tale of reading a facebook post in which someone was ranting over how some church vote was known to people who had left the church before even absent members had heard the results.  He was amazed at the comments to the post - most of them calling the church members devilish or wolves or other names.

I'm just shaking my head at the whole thing, but then maybe I don't see the problem with it, so I thought I'd post it here to see what others think about the story.

Should church votes be kept from non-members?  All votes?  Just certain votes?  And why?

Walt said:
So, I was having lunch with a friend today... he (rather bemusedly) told me a tale of reading a facebook post in which someone was ranting over how some church vote was known to people who had left the church before even absent members had heard the results.  He was amazed at the comments to the post - most of them calling the church members devilish or wolves or other names.

I'm just shaking my head at the whole thing, but then maybe I don't see the problem with it, so I thought I'd post it here to see what others think about the story.

Should church votes be kept from non-members?  All votes?  Just certain votes?  And why?

This got me thinking of our most recent Church vote regarding paying our pastors full time salary for 60 days from the time of his public announcement to remain part time pastor while starting his own Church.

After members expressed the pros and cons for doing this, one of the elders said in a nut shell ... "we should pay him for 60 days, based on our bylaws, so that the community and other Churches know we don't hurt our pastors - we don't want that reputation for our Church."

It would seem it was expected that the vote would be shared and the actual vote itself was driven by the fear of what outsiders would think.

Once the pastor learned of the vote he announce February 5th as his last day and will be gone.