Circle of Hope girls school

I can't remember the guy's name...I think it was Lester Roloff, but I could be mistaken, who ran one of those "homes" in Texas. A kid I went to high school with who tried to kill me and my little brother, and then a few weeks later shot his mother in the face with a rifle (she lived), and his mom and dad tried to get him into that home. But, I saw firsthand how those kids were treated and how many of them turned out, against God, against the societal norms, and how it was so counterproductive to anything going on in these kids' lives. I was in college, and my then-fiance and I heard the news report about Roloff being killed in a plane crash in November of 82. We both hoped that this would end his home/homes and would tend to help get these kids some true counselling.
Yes, it was Roloff. I actually watched a documentary about him and these homes a couple years ago. It was very interesting, in a sad sort of way.

Yes, it was Roloff. I actually watched a documentary about him and these homes a couple years ago. It was very interesting, in a sad sort of way.
I had a friend whose father died, and whose mother didn't want him and his five siblings. She sent them to there, and the state removed them. They ended up in a home for one of the secret organizations instead that their father had been a part of.

Breaking news - a judge orders the Agape Boarding School to be shut down! Looks like the inmates there will soon no longer be in a "State of Misery."

Missouri AG gets court order to close Agape Boarding School | The Kansas City Star

A southwest Missouri judge signed an order late Wednesday [September 8] to close the embattled Agape Boarding School, but early Thursday said he wanted more information before the order is carried out. . . .

"Rep. Keri Ingle, a Lee’s Summit Democrat who was the first lawmaker to request legislative hearings that led to the passage of the new law, said Agape needs to be closed now. 'I agree with the AG’s office and the Department of Social Services that there is substantial evidence of child abuse that appears to be woven into the institutional fabric of Agape,' she said. 'There is no way to ensure children are safe there when the folks operating Agape have multiple findings for child abuse, and so it is imperative that the facility is immediately shut down.' The Star has investigated Agape and other boarding schools in southern Missouri since late summer 2020. Many men who attended the school in their youth said they were subjected to physical restraints, extreme workouts, long days of manual labor, and food and water withheld as punishment. And, they said, students endured constant berating and mind games, and some were physically and sexually abused by staff and other youth. . . .

"Two years ago this month, Circle of Hope Girls Ranch was the first of Cedar County’s four unlicensed Christian boarding schools to close amid abuse allegations. Schmitt’s office charged owners Boyd and Stephanie Householder in 2021 with 99 felony counts of child abuse and neglect, including statutory sodomy, rape and physical abuse and neglect. Boyd Householder trained at Agape before opening Circle of Hope in 2006."

Breaking news - a judge orders the Agape Boarding School to be shut down! Looks like the inmates there will soon no longer be in a "State of Misery."

Missouri AG gets court order to close Agape Boarding School | The Kansas City Star

A southwest Missouri judge signed an order late Wednesday [September 8] to close the embattled Agape Boarding School, but early Thursday said he wanted more information before the order is carried out. . . .

"Rep. Keri Ingle, a Lee’s Summit Democrat who was the first lawmaker to request legislative hearings that led to the passage of the new law, said Agape needs to be closed now. 'I agree with the AG’s office and the Department of Social Services that there is substantial evidence of child abuse that appears to be woven into the institutional fabric of Agape,' she said. 'There is no way to ensure children are safe there when the folks operating Agape have multiple findings for child abuse, and so it is imperative that the facility is immediately shut down.' The Star has investigated Agape and other boarding schools in southern Missouri since late summer 2020. Many men who attended the school in their youth said they were subjected to physical restraints, extreme workouts, long days of manual labor, and food and water withheld as punishment. And, they said, students endured constant berating and mind games, and some were physically and sexually abused by staff and other youth. . . .

"Two years ago this month, Circle of Hope Girls Ranch was the first of Cedar County’s four unlicensed Christian boarding schools to close amid abuse allegations. Schmitt’s office charged owners Boyd and Stephanie Householder in 2021 with 99 felony counts of child abuse and neglect, including statutory sodomy, rape and physical abuse and neglect. Boyd Householder trained at Agape before opening Circle of Hope in 2006."
Still, to be fair, these are "alleged" happenings. Nothing has been proven in the court of law, and it must be to honestly be valid. INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

I'm not sure what to think about the concept of homes for wayward children... in theory, they could work and help people... and perhaps some have been helped - we tend to hear about the (vocal) failures.
However, I do agree with people above that that it is so easy for them to turn into abusive places, as they have apparently done in many cases.

Agape Boarding School is still hanging in there, in spite of court order to shut down: "The speaker of the Missouri House has asked the U.S. Attorney to 'act immediately' to shut down Agape Boarding School, saying it has been engaged in 'organized crime against children.' Speaker Rob Vescovo, a Republican, wrote U.S. Attorney Teresa Moore of the Western District of Missouri last week insisting that federal intervention may be the only way to protect the students at the school now."

‘Organized crime against children.’ Top Missouri lawmaker asks feds to shut down Agape (yahoo.com)

Some day, some qualified journalist should write an investigative book, on a factual and objective basis, on such abusive private prisons as Agape Boarding School, Hephzibah House, New Bethany Home For Girls in Arcadia, Louisiana, etc. The publication of the novel "Nicholas Nickleby" by Charles Dickens in 1839 helped to expose the abuses of the industry of exploitative boarding schools for children in northern England. Where is Dickens when we need him now, to let us know what the Dickens is going on in these secretive reform schools?

Agape Boarding School is still hanging in there, in spite of court order to shut down: "The speaker of the Missouri House has asked the U.S. Attorney to 'act immediately' to shut down Agape Boarding School, saying it has been engaged in 'organized crime against children.' Speaker Rob Vescovo, a Republican, wrote U.S. Attorney Teresa Moore of the Western District of Missouri last week insisting that federal intervention may be the only way to protect the students at the school now."

‘Organized crime against children.’ Top Missouri lawmaker asks feds to shut down Agape (yahoo.com)

Some day, some qualified journalist should write an investigative book, on a factual and objective basis, on such abusive private prisons as Agape Boarding School, Hephzibah House, New Bethany Home For Girls in Arcadia, Louisiana, etc. The publication of the novel "Nicholas Nickleby" by Charles Dickens in 1839 helped to expose the abuses of the industry of exploitative boarding schools for children in northern England. Where is Dickens when we need him now, to let us know what the Dickens is going on in these secretive reform schools?
Maybe a lady named Jeri Massi, a Bob Jones grad and exposer of Baptist Pastors who are sexual predators would be willing to write some articles on this subject if someone asked her.....

Maybe a lady named Jeri Massi, a Bob Jones grad and exposer of Baptist Pastors who are sexual predators would be willing to write some articles on this subject if someone asked her.....
She's battling a lot of health issues right now. I'm not sure she would have the time and energy, although I know she's already done some work exposing Hephzibah House.

She's battling a lot of health issues right now. I'm not sure she would have the time and energy, although I know she's already done some work exposing Hephzibah House.
Yes...I'm aware of her health challenges. Our old friend who recently passed away, Tina Sagisi kept me informed. Jeri and I don't always see eye to eye on these things, but, I know she had some good, accurate information on things when she researched. I'm hoping Jeri recovers well.

"Some day, some qualified journalist should write an investigative book, on a factual and objective basis . . ."

Qualified? Probably. Objective? Hardly

"Some day, some qualified journalist should write an investigative book, on a factual and objective basis . . ."

Qualified? Probably. Objective? Hardly
She doesn't have to be objective as long as she reports reported incidents and tells the truth....Believe me, she's qualified.

She doesn't have to be objective as long as she reports reported incidents and tells the truth....Believe me, she's qualified.
I understand what you're saying, predators should be exposed, but BASSENCO was Yellow Journalism before Dan Rather or Julie Roys. 😁😉

I understand what you're saying, predators should be exposed, but BASSENCO was Yellow Journalism before Dan Rather or Julie Roys. 😁😉
To some degree I can agree with you...but, personally KNOWING some of the predators she's written about, I'd rather have her hounding them than for them to be passed on to another ministry without this information coming to light. I didn't/don't always agree with her methods or the severity of her criticism directed only at BAPTISTS, ignoring other denominations including her own, but I do admire her gumption! Yep, I really miss the days of the old FFF where BASS would let them have it! :)

I miss Bassenco, too. For those who don't know who we are talking about, here is her web site:

Jeri Massi:Books and Blogs (jeriwho.net)

Blog on the Way (jeriwho.net)

Maybe she wasn't perfect, but I can't recall any serious inaccuracies in her online journalism, and I admired her spunk. She was hated by many, for uncovering wrongdoing and hypocrisy among fundamentalists, that a lot of people would prefer to have covered up.

I miss Bassenco, too. For those who don't know who we are talking about, here is her web site:

Maybe she wasn't perfect, but I can't recall any serious inaccuracies in her online journalism, and I admired her spunk. She was hated by many, for uncovering wrongdoing and hypocrisy among fundamentalists, that a lot of people would prefer to have covered up.
She and I got into it a few times, but it was usually because she wouldn't acknowledge any other denomination's indiscretions..including her own when I pointed it out. Still, we are friends on FB...I can always agree to disagree with a reasonable person. :)

I think that as we grow older sometimes our memories aren't as good and we forget particulars and specifics, and I think that may be the case with your recollection of BASSENCO and her methodology of lumping everybody together and making gross generalizations, particularly about Baptists, for instance...

Yes, Every Single IFB Pastor is Culpable for the Abuses in the IFB: Here's Why

I think that as we grow older sometimes our memories aren't as good and we forget particulars and specifics, and I think that may be the case with your recollection of BASSENCO and her methodology of lumping everybody together and making gross generalizations, particularly about Baptists, for instance...

She did tend to do that. But you have to admit that she was fearless in naming names and defending the helpless.

She did tend to do that. But you have to admit that she was fearless in naming names and defending the helpless.
Yes, I don't fault her for advocacy for the abused, even fiercely carried out, but jus tryin' to keep it real.😉

And her unapologetic maligning of Marine was completely uncalled for, which I won't forget.

Yes, I don't fault her for advocacy for the abused, even fiercely carried out, but jus tryin' to keep it real.😉

And her unapologetic maligning of Marine was completely uncalled for, which I won't forget.
I agree. She pretty much ruined her reputation with that.

Yep...this was one of the things that she and I, along with several others went in circles about!