Coffee drinking in the Sanctuary

Bob Jones V

Elect
Reaction score

Piper posted on Twitter:

"Can we reassess whether Sunday coffee-sipping in the sanctuary fits?"
"Piper added that Hebrews 12:28 states, "Let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe."

Thoughts?

The mega church I used to attend almost encouraged coffee drinking during the services, but then again they had glossed over concrete flooring. The Baptist churches usually discourage drinks in the sanctuary, but I think it’s more due to carpeting and cloth seating. Despite that, being a bit of a rebel (at least by IFB standards), my wife and I usually bring a Bible in one hand and a Yeti cup w/coffee in the other hand. 😎

Piper is misapplying the verse in Hebrews he appealed to, but one's demeanor in Christian worship is a direct reflection of the gravity with which he approaches the assembly.

Paul said, "What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in?" I'm aware of the divisions and abuses of the Corinthians. They had turned the Lord's Table into a buffet, and coffee is hardly a buffet, but I think Paul's admonition illuminates the expectation of a more reverant attitude unaccommodating to sipping beverages or snacking on Raisinets.

Thoughts?

My church doesn't allow food or beverages in the sanctuary, apart from water. The rule is there to keep the floors/seats/carpets clean.

If coffee was allowed, I'd probably have one. I don't see the big deal. Drinking coffee while listening to the sermon helps me focus: having to hold a hot cup of coffee upright requires just enough mental overhead to keep me from being distracted, or nodding off if I'm tired.

If people took advantage of the rule to bring in sticky, greasy, noisy, or smelly foods, that would be a distraction to others, and a maintenance nightmare. You can imagine what the floors and seats would be like if someone spilled a Coke--and how are you supposed to deal with that mess in between services? (Of course, you could say the same thing about coffee.)

Now, Piper is talking about appropriate activity during worship, not cleanliness. I personally fall on the "beverages are no big deal" side. It doesn't distract me from the matter at hand, and neither does someone else's coffee nearby. The thing I find funny is that Piper is simply asking a question about the boundaries of liberty in worship--and, typically, the reaction he gets from the terminally online is to take great umbrage, like he's confiscating travel mugs at the door.

1 Cor 10:31….”or drink….to the glory of God”

😁

Personally l think Piper is on to something, but unlike the Priests in the linked article I ain’t about to declare it sin when the Scriptures are not explicit on the matter.

we have coffee in our sunday school class...:coffee:.... ..but the church sanctuary?..... i say no.... besides - if someone comes to sunday school like they are supposed to... they should be more than sufficiently caffeinated for the main service.... ;)

Other than housekeeping, dogmatism is unnecessary.

Didn't the early church eat and drink during services?

Sounds like alot of 2023 preferences being foisted back into 60ad. I like Piper, but he can have strong opinions over what are preferences. Probably more worried about the carpeting.

Sounds like alot of 2023 preferences being foisted back into 60ad. I like Piper, but he can have strong opinions over what are preferences. Probably more worried about the carpeting.
but how long did a church service last in 60 AD?.... ......if they stayed there all day long then i can see having not only food and drink but 3 square meals served during the service....... .....but in todays world how many church services last for even an hour?.. or even 2 like someone in the article said?..... sipping water as needed is one thing.... but if the atmosphere inside the church continues to become more like the movie theater pretty soon there will be high school students protesting for the right to chew gum in class......😲 .... and then the whole fabric of western civilization will break down..... 🧐..... .... .. . ...remember where you heard this.... it;s coming..... ;)

We may not know the schedule of their meetjngs, but we know one thing, for sure, worship is not interrupted or diminished by the eating of food.

There is no carpeting. I was a member there for 16 years, and for the last 3 years sat next to Piper. Concrete floor. There is only carpet in the very front.

Last edited:
There is no carpeting. I was a member there for 16 years, and for the last 3 years sat next to Piper. Concrete floor. There is only carpet in the very front.

Same with us. Bare sealed concrete where we sit, carpet where we walk. Probably the best compromise between attractiveness and low maintenance. Still wouldn't want to allow sticky foods and beverages in, though. There are times when a church sanctuary is meant to be quiet, and that should include not sounding like a theatre floor when someone shifts his feet.

Years ago we had an extremely godly and well-respected old-school couple (both now with the Lord) that objected to my use of coffee and refreshments in my adult Sunday School class. They did so on the basis of the 1 Corinthian 11 passage, to which I tried to explain was a misapplication of that verse since it dealt with Paul’s correction for abusing the Lord’s Supper (and schismatic attitudes), but they weren’t having any of it, and even quit attending Sunday School for awhile due to their scruples.

Years ago we had an extremely godly and well-respected old-school couple (both now with the Lord) that objected to my use of coffee and refreshments in my adult Sunday School class. They did so on the basis of the 1 Corinthian 11 passage, to which I tried to explain was a misapplication of that verse since it dealt with Paul’s correction for abusing the Lord’s Supper (and schismatic attitudes), but they weren’t having any of it, and even quit attending Sunday School for awhile due to their scruples.
Some people... 🙄