College Rules

JrChurch

Elect
Reaction score
One of my sons is home from college for the Labor Day weekend and has stated that orientation devoted extended time every day for a week to standards and rules.  He has already been to two Bible colleges and neither one devoted this much time to rules and regulations.
* Men are required to wear a shirt and tie to out-of-class educational situations.
*Ladies must wear decent-length clothing, non-sheer, no low-cut, no midriff
*Ladies hair may be dyed as long as it is a natural hair color
*No unusually high heels
*Men's hair must be neat at all times
*Earrings may only be posts- no hoops or dangling ones
*No distracting jewelry
*No uncovered tats
*Watch every word you post on social media as it will be monitored throughout your education

An unusual emphasis was given to the importance of showing up to class on time every day.
These are just a few of the ones I could remember and there is no student handbook.  By the way, this wasn't boot camp  :D

Interestingly enough my alma mater has gone the other way.

Students returning to campus this fall may have noticed several changes to Liberty?s Honor Code, the Liberty Way.

This summer we carefully studied the Liberty Way, listened to feedback and input from students and observed how enforcement was actually taking place. We found that both our students and student leadership were desiring an Honor Code based more upon a personal discipleship relationship than on rote rule enforcement. That is the same approach Jesus took with his students.

As a result, several areas of the Honor Code were revised and updated to focus more upon principles than hard and fast rules. The goal of the revision was not to lower standards, but to elevate our students to a position where they can learn to apply principles to particular life situations and make wise decisions.

While there are still certain, clear-cut rules and community expectations, we believe that the process of our students learning to apply life principles will effectively equip them for future life decisions. You may notice that some of the revisions leave open room for discussion.

This was intentional and designed for students and student leadership to enter into discussions about how to make good decisions.

Liberty?s Office of Student Conduct is also available to clarify any issue that may be unclear.

Among other things it was announced "the dress code was simplified in terms of ?modesty, appropriateness and neatness.? Hairstyles for men are to "avoid extreme styles".

Definitely different from when I went there 25 years ago with mandatory hair checks, ties to class and church, etc. All for the better in my opinion. I was in church the other day and saw a student who's hair just a few year's ago would definitely be "too long", wearing his hat backwards. As I watched him he seemed to have a true spirit of worship, reading his Bible and paying attention. How easy it would be to stereotype.

Another addition- "You are held to a higher standard.  Live up to it."

This is medical school at a state university.  Quite interesting, considering the regular university is known as a party school.

Also, they already "tackled" the abortion issue.  The OB/GYN said all are required to learn about the procedure, but when it comes to any type of participation (including observation of procedure on a robot),  the students are allowed to opt-out.  He said 85% opt-out. 

JrChurch said:
One of my sons is home from college for the Labor Day weekend and has stated that orientation devoted extended time every day for a week to standards and rules.  He has already been to two Bible colleges and neither one devoted this much time to rules and regulations.
* Men are required to wear a shirt and tie to out-of-class educational situations.
*No unusually high heels
*No distracting jewelry
*No uncovered tats
*Watch every word you post on social media as it will be monitored throughout your education

An unusual emphasis was given to the importance of showing up to class on time every day.
These are just a few of the ones I could remember and there is no student handbook.  By the way, this wasn't boot camp  :D

They understand the importance of respect and being respected in the field of medicine. I'd guess the reason for spending so much time on the rules is because the background and cultural mindset of most of the students they receive is counterintuitive to that principle.

JrChurch said:

This is medical school at a state university.  Quite interesting, considering the regular university is known as a party school.

Also, they already "tackled" the abortion issue.  The OB/GYN said all are required to learn about the procedure, but when it comes to any type of participation (including observation of procedure on a robot),  the students are allowed to opt-out.  He said 85% opt-out.

That is wonderful!  It is interesting how the younger generation has a much more conservative view on abortion.

JrChurch said:

Probably common among med schools. Here's one I found. http://msa.medicine.iu.edu/studenthandbook/dress-code

JrChurch said:
*No unusually high heels
*No distracting jewelry
*No uncovered tats

An interesting topic; around our place, this topic has generated several long discussions regarding rules (especially for college students as it is becoming of interest).

We have hammered out that:

1) We will always  be under rules, some of which we won't agree with.  (thus, I don't think the "there are no rules; be on your honor" is entirely appropriate way of not laying down rules).

2) The best administrators try to keep rules Scriptural, not merely their own private interpretation of Scripture  (that is, rules against open-toe sandals or how to eat a banana do not have a basis in Scripture, but are generally someone's idea of what isn't modest.  Furthermore, modesty isn't merely about clothing; one could act seductively regardless of how one is dressed).

3) If an authority mistakenly declared that you have broken the rules, it is OK to respectfully ask them to check again. (we used to hear a lot of teaching in the IFBx church that it was unspiritual to question such a thing, even when the authority had clearly made a mistake.  This teaching, to me, is merely man-worship.)

Just sharin' some insights.

brianb said:
JrChurch said:

Probably common among med schools. Here's one I found. http://msa.medicine.iu.edu/studenthandbook/dress-code
I think you hit the nail on the head.
Our son had a baby w/his wife so he won't be going to med school now...probably not for a few years but he says the standards overall are much higher.

Just John said:
JrChurch said:

That is wonderful!  It is interesting how the younger generation has a much more conservative view on abortion.

I agree.  It is encouraging.

Just John said:

They're the ones who've seen their younger siblings' ultrasounds hung on the fridge. I imagine it's harder to ignore the humanity of the unborn when we can look inside the womb and take baby pictures. That's what turned Bernard Nathanson pro-life, and at one time he was one of the most important pro-abortion activists in the U.S. He couldn't deny what he saw any more.

Web said:
How can the school monitor their online activity (I'm assuming social media?)?  If their accounts are password protected and only allows friends to view the pages, the school couldn't see anything.

The school could require that it be added as a friend on their Facebook accounts. There are ways around that, too, of course.

Web said:
How can the school monitor their online activity (I'm assuming social media?)?  If their accounts are password protected and only allows friends to view the pages, the school couldn't see anything.  Or, the students make a "fake" page that contains minimal acceptable content.

I assume their intent is to get students to use discernment.