Compass College and Seminary

Apologies in advance for side railing the discussion, but this jaunt down the versions and “derivative inspiration” discussion (which I gave up studying long ago) led me to some nostalgic material from our beloved Doc Cassidy….

Link
Loved reading Cassidy. On the Baptist Board, I agreed with most of his posts. He was an able defender of the KJV, which I love and adore , and esteem as the word of God.

Loved Cassidy.

Also loved his defense of Dec. 25 as the date of the first Christmas.

Miss his warrior spirit, (but he ain't missin us!)

Btw, if God would let him, he'd come down and tell y'all that I'm right in my geocentric cosmology 👍

But, where he pooh poohs scholarship as authoritve in discerning God's word, appeals to the scholarship of the KJV translators as evidence of of their reliability.

Our King James Bible is superior to all others not only because it is translated from superior texts, but because it was translated by superior translators

Our King James Bible is superior to all others not only because it is translated from superior texts, but because it was translated by superior translators
The superior text is the one you have with you, ready to read :)

My main point here though is that there is a statement which declares "We believe the Bible does not just 'contain' the word of God but IS THE VERY word of God in its entirety!"
"Contains" was a poor choice of words. I didn't mean to imply that it contained anything else. The Bible is the words (are the words?) about the Word.

Loved reading Cassidy. On the Baptist Board, I agreed with most of his posts. He was an able defender of the KJV, which I love and adore , and esteem as the word of God.

Loved Cassidy.

Also loved his defense of Dec. 25 as the date of the first Christmas.

Miss his warrior spirit, (but he ain't missin us!)

Btw, if God would let him, he'd come down and tell y'all that I'm right in my geocentric cosmology 👍

But, where he pooh poohs scholarship as authoritve in discerning God's word, appeals to the scholarship of the KJV translators as evidence of of their reliability.

I had the privilege to meet "The Doc" before I moved back to Texas back in 2006. Super nice guy! I disagreed with his "Landmarkism" (Local Church Only) but he was always articulate and thorough in his arguments.

Wow! All we need is another IFB college with unqualified "professors." Been there, done that...won't be going back to one of those. I'd rather go to Baptist College of America than trust any of the more recent IFB colleges. Maranatha Baptist University I love and respect, and that won't change.

I was responding to your request for a citation, not to your quotation of the Chicago Statement.

What the KJV translators wrote in that passage in the preface was basically a statement of derivative inspiration. A translated work is recognizably the same work as its source. Hence a copy of the English king's speech translated into French remains the king's speech--it's not someone else's--and similarly the word of God translated remains the word of God.

It stands to reason that since an English Bible, reliably translated, contains the same content as the Hebrew and Greek testaments, it has equal authority. Just as the translation is derived from the original, so is its authority.
I guess I’m just uncomfortable with applying the word inspiration to translations. I have no problems with innerrancy and infallibility as concepts extending to translations, but inspiration seems to logically come to philosophical limits within the originals.

Philosophically, how does a writing have God-given authority if it does not have derivative inspiration?

Many documents are without error

I guess I’m just uncomfortable with applying the word inspiration to translations. I have no problems with innerrancy and infallibility as concepts extending to translations, but inspiration seems to logically come to philosophical limits within the originals.

But practically we behave as though derivative inspiration exists. Imagine a church discipline situation where a Scripture was read to the offender before he was called to repent, and he replied, "That's not the word of God. Read it again in Greek, and we'll see if I have anything ot repent of." We all know it's absurd and it wouldn't wash. The Bible in English carries equal weight with us. More so, in fact, since the majority can't read it as it was originally written.

I deleted my comment on this thread because I didn't want to deal with the back-and-forth. After thought, I'll say it here:

I couldn't -in good conscience- send someone to an unaccredited college. UNLESS he knew he was called of God and knew that he was to serve as a pastor or missionary. Even then, I'd warn that if anything changes or -God forbid- you have to take a second job to make ends meet, the degree will not be worth the paper it's printed on.

I went to college knowing this. But in my youth I didn't realize the ramifications of this decision. I learned a lot there. Met some great people. Met a lot of snakes. But it would have been nice if that degree helped in the "real" world.

I deleted my comment on this thread because I didn't want to deal with the back-and-forth. After thought, I'll say it here:

I couldn't -in good conscience- send someone to an unaccredited college. UNLESS he knew he was called of God and knew that he was to serve as a pastor or missionary. Even then, I'd warn that if anything changes or -God forbid- you have to take a second job to make ends meet, the degree will not be worth the paper it's printed on.

I went to college knowing this. But in my youth I didn't realize the ramifications of this decision. I learned a lot there. Met some great people. Met a lot of snakes. But it would have been nice if that degree helped in the "real" world.
Most everyone outside of the IFB world usually gets some sort of undergrad degree and then go to seminary for their theological training with an MDiv being the gold standard. Going this route, you would already have a marketable undergrad degree and accreditation was not as critical at the seminary level - only their reputation with whatever group you were affiliating yourself with. I highly prefer this over the IFB "Bible Kollege" model.

I would be very careful with such a statement. You are almost sounding like a Catholic here who believes that it is the Church that gives its authority to the scriptures rather than the other way around! I do not believe you intended this intentionally though.
Isn't this the very basis of the Majority Text position? How did they get to be the 'Majority' if not that the church as a whole received it as authoritative?

Last edited:
This is the very basis of the Majority Text position. How did it get to be the 'Majority' if not that the church as a whole received it as such?

Matthew Everhard is a good man! I am often watching his content. I am certain he is not "TR Only" but he definitely has a preference for the majority texts as do I. His preferred translations are the KJV, NKJV, and ESV as they are mine as well.

There is a big difference between its wide use and dissemination within the church and having a small "ruling magisterium" of the church dictating what is and is not to be used. This is also the main rationale behind how the canon of the New Testament scriptures came into being. The Councils of Nicaea and Constantinople did not decree the content of the NT canon, they simply acknowledged what the Church as a whole already knew.

Hi Barry!

Yes, I am he! Hope you are doing well!

Ken
So, you went to Maranatha? What years were you there. I was there in 83 and 84. We might know each other if you were there then.

But practically we behave as though derivative inspiration exists. Imagine a church discipline situation where a Scripture was read to the offender before he was called to repent, and he replied, "That's not the word of God. Read it again in Greek, and we'll see if I have anything ot repent of." We all know it's absurd and it wouldn't wash. The Bible in English carries equal weight with us. More so, in fact, since the majority can't read it as it was originally written.

I agree with all of that. My hangup is with the idea that the process of inspiration does not continue, but is a one time act found in the autographs, whereas saying that we have reliable translations that faithfully represent the originals provides sufficient authority for practical application in conducting church faith and practice.

The process of inspration does not continue. That is why the term "derivative" is used.

The process of inspration does not continue. That is why the term "derivative" is used.
FWIW, after the initial inspiration, His sovereignty takes over and preserves what was originally inspired... perhaps...