Connection Problems

groupie

Elect
Reaction score
I am constantly getting this error - "Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later. " when browsing the forum.

I know you made a host change recently, but was it specifically for hosting forum?

I used to host with another company that was terrible and I had a lot of complaints.

I own 12 forums and websites and never get this error, so I was wondering if you get any complaints.

Wish squarespace had some sort of forum hosting.... But use then for as much as I can.

Hostgator for those that need forums. What issues did you have, they have been super reliable for me over the years.

admin said:
I had Hostgator for four years. It wasn't until this past year that they fell apart.

They were purchased by EIG.. Read about them in Wikipedia... They told me that they were going to move my server in Jan of 2013. I gave notice to my clients. They ended up moving it in April without notice.

Of course, this was a real problem as I had over 100 websites.

August 2013 blackout
31 December 2013 blackout: My busiest day where I can sell 6 machicnes in a day. My website was down all day and I didn't even sell one.
April 2014 blackout

Blackouts are bad enough. It was the very poor support. It took me 48 hours to get answers to my questions. So, I left them this year, one month before the last blackout.

Liquid Web is phenomenal! They quickly fix things.

Checked my emails and nothing from anyone on those dates...weird.  Did you have a dedicated server there? Red Hat or Windows?

Just curious.